CD starts booting, but stops after the first question

Booting, installing, newbie
NMN

CD starts booting, but stops after the first question

#1 Post by NMN »

I have some problems, it starts booting from the CD but then it stops after the first question :(

What can be happening?? :?

shankargopal

#2 Post by shankargopal »

A little more information is necessary before anyone can help with this.

1. What do you mean by the "first question"? Is that the "boot:" prompt? What is on the screen at this time?

2. Which version of Puppy are you using? Have you burned it multisession or single session?

3. What kind of computer are you using? How much RAM, hard drive, etc.?

NMN

#3 Post by NMN »

It's when it asks me if this is an upgrading and I have to press ENTER if it's the first time. So i press enter and nothing happens.

shankargopal

#4 Post by shankargopal »

Try burning the file to a new CD - it might only be a burning error.

Please post the other details I asked for as well.

NMN

#5 Post by NMN »

ohh I forgot ...
i have a laptop Presario 2100 - compaq.

I am trying to run a multisession. I have 256 of RAM and a HD of 30G

shankargopal

#6 Post by shankargopal »

I've run Puppy on exactly the same model of laptop with almost the same configuration, so it is unlikely to be a hardware compatibility issue.

Try downloading the file again too and burning it to the CD again.

NMN

#7 Post by NMN »

Did it twice, finally i read something about changing the setup to disable USB legasy, then it worked but now is asking for password :?

shankargopal

#8 Post by shankargopal »

At what stage does it ask for a password? At what point in the boot up?

NMN

#9 Post by NMN »

after it asks me if I have any previous partitions

shankargopal

#10 Post by shankargopal »

hmmm, not sure what to do about this. By the way I did not use the same model of laptop - I had my memory mixed up - so this could be a hardware problem.

By the way, another possibility is to try using the non-multisession ISO (the one with "mozilla" in the file name), burning it to a new CD, and, at the "boot:" prompt (the one with the picture of the puppy in the background), press the number "4" and then enter. See if that boots properly (this will not be a multisession boot, however). Then tell us if that works.

Can I also make another suggestion. In re your last post please make a post with the full text of the question it asks you, your answer, the details of the computer in question, any other error messages that are given to you during boot up, etc. None of us have memorized the boot process and I for instance can't remember at precisely what stage the question about previous partitions comes up. And, for future reference, posts that contain all details (such as the ones I asked you for initially and the ones I'm asking for now), with a specific subject line, are much more likely to get answers than one line or two line "help" posts.

You might also then be able to get some interest from the real Puppy experts rather than educated novices like me :).