Latex and Lyx

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
emil

#16 Post by emil »

Dear Rzch it is not hard.
Zou need to install the devx sfs and then download the texlive installer. If you run it you will have a lot of option how do build the texlive package.
kind regards
emil

recobayu

#17 Post by recobayu »

I make small texlive, it is about 88mb.
Here in my repo:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/frb7vp14z7p5 ... RqWha?dl=0
in folder pet.

I also have lyx and texstudio in folder pet.
Maybe it useful to us.
Thank you.

uio

This is what I was looking for !

#18 Post by uio »

Hello recobayu !

This is great ! I downloaded your texlive and texstudio pets. They worked beautifully on a fresh Tahrpup 6.0.5 live-usb ! I had spent hours last year trying to figure this out for LaTeX and voilà, your pets work quickly, no issues. Could you try to get this into the official repos (not quite sure what those are...) ? I think that it is super useful.

I do have a quick question though : how do I go about adding packages that are not included ? For example, if I want to use 'qtree' how do I add this so texstudio can use it ? I can find them on CTAN, but I don't know where to place them nor if I need to recompile the TeX system or something... Also, how could I set it up to use beamer ?

Thanks a lot - honestly, this was maybe the biggest thing I disliked about Puppy - that it was missing a good way to use LaTeX. I use if very often.

emil - your link is broken ! http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/emil/Latex/
any idea where I could find those pets ?

Very useful pets recobayu ,

:::uio

uio

texliveonthefly for automatic TeX package installation

#19 Post by uio »

I think this might help : https://www.ctan.org/pkg/texliveonfly?lang=en
It is a script to find missing packages...
BUT - I don't know how to use it. Anyone have any idea on how to get this script to work ??
Thanks,

recobayu

#20 Post by recobayu »

Uio,
I'm very happy that my work is useful for us. I still don't know ow to add my pet to official repo (Tahrpup or puppylinux). Maybe someone who can access on official repo can download my pet and put in there. And about adding package that are not included, I still don't know how to do that. Maybe just add file .sty in to some texlive folder.

Argolance

#21 Post by Argolance »

Hello,
recobayu wrote:I make small texlive, it is about 88mb.
Thank you but I tried to download this "small texlive",and didn't find it :oops:
Please, what is the name of this pet file?

Cordialement.

emil

Broken Link

#22 Post by emil »

I am sorry, The University in Seattle stopped hosting all those accounts. I don't know if I can put all those files somewhere else, anyway they are quite old now.

kind regards
emil widmann

uio

latex and puppy

#23 Post by uio »

Okay, I'm sure that someone on these forums could host those files! They might be useful.

Does anyone have any idea how to add .sty files ? It would be great if the filesonthefly tool I mentioned above worked, but I just spent a while on the LaTeX IRC to no avail.

And the command tlmgr to add the packages does not work either. So it is, at present, difficult for the beginner to add needed packages. It is unfeasible to add a whole texlive package from ppm as it takes so much space.

Any ideas? I use LaTeX all the time, but it is a bit (very) difficult on Puppy.
Sigh.

emil

#24 Post by emil »

Well, I dont know. As far as I remember
https://www.tug.org/texlive/acquire-netinstall.html
,the netinstall worked for me.

emil

space for Latex Package

#25 Post by emil »

Ok I elaborate a bit further, since it seems not to be straitforward. I tested this on my current system.

When you download the installer and run it you get a text menu. From there you can choose different types of install. The standart directory for installation is /usr/local/texlive.

This can be problematic, because this will install the files into your puppy savefile and choke it (probably everything above basic installation).

The usual way around is to make /usr/local/texlive a symbolic link to a directory on a physical drive with enough space . In my case I used /mnt/sda3/opt/texlive

The second thing I changed was that I selected "Portable Install" in the menu, I guessed it would install the whole texlive into one place and don't spread all the files around the linux directory tree. But I don't know if this is essential, Maybe somebody else can experiment and share observations.

After running the installer I had to export PATH=$PATH:/usr/local/texlive/bin/i386-linux
you can add the path also in /etc/profile (global) or in ~/.profile (just user) to use the programs.

if it works you could proceed to make the texlive folder into a sfs package.
hope this is not to cryptic
emil

recobayu

#26 Post by recobayu »

Argolance wrote:Hello,
recobayu wrote:I make small texlive, it is about 88mb.
Thank you but I tried to download this "small texlive",and didn't find it :oops:
Please, what is the name of this pet file?

Cordialement.
tlkecil.pet

uio

cannot run install-tl --- error message

#27 Post by uio »

Hi emil,
Thanks for the detailed post. Unfortunately, I cannot get past the first step as I get the following error message when I try to run install-tl in terminal.

Can't locate Pod/Usage.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Pod::Usage module) (@INC contains: /tmp/mozilla_root0/install-tl-20160405/tlpkg /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/perl/5.18.2 /usr/local/share/perl/5.18.2 /usr/lib/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/perl/5.18 /usr/share/perl/5.18 /usr/local/lib/site_perl .) at /tmp/mozilla_root0/install-tl-20160405/install-tl line 47.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /tmp/mozilla_root0/install-tl-20160405/install-tl line 47.
Script completed hit RETURN to close window.

Any ideas?

I am using tahrpup 6.0.5 on a usb.

rockedge

#28 Post by rockedge »

Yes, I think you need to install the PERL module Pod::Usage

load the devx_tahr_6.0.5.sfs for your OS then open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

#cpan App::cpanminus
then use cpanm like this:

#cpanm Pod::Usage
might get it going. Good luck.

uio

installer issue

#29 Post by uio »

Hi rockedge, okay, so that makes the installer work, so thanks !

Hi emil, I used the installer, but I tried setting a different location (options, then 'L') to /mnt/sdd1 (which is just big usb).
Then I chose portable install. But it insists on installing to /usr/local/texlive !

I think that part of the problem is that I don't know how to make a symbolic link. Would it be at all possible to provide more details? Sorry! I am not very well versed in linux.

Thanks,

::uio

rockedge

#30 Post by rockedge »

Make a symlink

in a terminal:

#ln -s /mnt/sdd1  /usr/local/texlive
also in Rox with a drag and drop to another rox window will give option to copy move or symlink in the target directory

maybe let the install run. then go in and replace the directory with the symlink from above. Of course create the directory in /mnt/sdd1 that you will link to.

See what happens.

emil

#31 Post by emil »

good that you solved the devx.sfs trap (you missed my earlier post about installing it first)
do the rest like this:

1)

#mkdir -p /mnt/sdd1/usr/local/texlive
creates directory structure on the stick

2)*
open a ROX window (click on your USB stick) and navigate to the directory /mnt/sdd1/usr/local

open a 2nd ROX window (click e.g. on the Home Desktop Icon). Navigate to the directory /usr/local

left klick on the directory folder "texlive" in the first ROX window and keep mouse button pressed down, drag the folder to the 2nd ROX window. Release the left mouse button.
A window will appear which offers to move, copy or create Link (relativ or absolute). Choose to create a link, either relativ or absolute is fine.

3) then run the installer again. It will write to /usr/local/texlive, but since this is a link to /mnt/sdd1/usr/local/texlive everything will go to the stick

4) to test the installation, get the directory in your PATH as described in my previous post.

5) if it works well enough, you can create a texlive sfs on your stick

#cd /mnt/sdd1
#mksquashfs usr texlive-my.sfs -keep-as-directory
6) after that you can load the sfs and it should union mount to /usr/local/texlive

if in doubt, google, stackexchange, and of course murga-linux are your friends.

* about reading this twice, this reminds me on Master Foo
http://catb.org/esr/writings/unix-koans ... ammer.html
Last edited by emil on Wed 18 May 2016, 05:17, edited 1 time in total.

emil

#32 Post by emil »

I made an error in my previous post. Please bear with me I am a bit rusty.
One needs to append the option -keep-as-directory in the mksquashfs command to get the correct file structure. I updated the previous post to correct it.

uio

Thanks!

#33 Post by uio »

Thanks emil,
I hope to test this out this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

uio

package finder script

#34 Post by uio »

Also, another approach (which has been as of yet unsuccessful for me) would be this missing package finder script:
https://www.ctan.org/pkg/texliveonfly?lang=en

It might be useful to keep things smaller.

Any ideas on getting it running?

recobayu

Re: This is what I was looking for !

#35 Post by recobayu »

uio wrote:Hello recobayu !

This is great ! I downloaded your texlive and texstudio pets. They worked beautifully on a fresh Tahrpup 6.0.5 live-usb ! I had spent hours last year trying to figure this out for LaTeX and voilà, your pets work quickly, no issues. Could you try to get this into the official repos (not quite sure what those are...) ? I think that it is super useful.

I do have a quick question though : how do I go about adding packages that are not included ? For example, if I want to use 'qtree' how do I add this so texstudio can use it ? I can find them on CTAN, but I don't know where to place them nor if I need to recompile the TeX system or something... Also, how could I set it up to use beamer ?

Thanks a lot - honestly, this was maybe the biggest thing I disliked about Puppy - that it was missing a good way to use LaTeX. I use if very often.

Very useful pets recobayu ,

Actually, this is also be my problem a few day ago. But now, I had the solution. It's very easy.
First, we must install complete perl5.
I have a repo xenialpup. I download from ppm and make it as .pet or .sfs in here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B139J ... 2NjWXlGSmc
We can download texlive-basic-2015_7.0.1.sfs from there
Then, I do like this (on my xenialpup):

tlmgr update --self
After that, I can install a package I need. For example:
I want to make a system of equations. So I need systeme.sty

tlmgr install systeme
When I pdflatexing my .tex file, I got error about xstring.sty. So I install it by typing

tlmgr install xstring
For qtree:

tlmgr install qtree
and

tlmgr install pict2e
Hope this help,
:)
Recobayu