Wary Puppy 0.9.4 (094) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
DaveS

#31 Post by DaveS »

So somebody tell me please: what do I need to do to compile seamonkey for wary? How would I begin etc?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tronkel

#32 Post by tronkel »

Get the latest Seamonkey 2.0.10 pet for Wary 0.9.4 from this thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 032#462032
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

DaveS

#33 Post by DaveS »

Is this the same configuration (options) as the current wary version, or is Barry's configured differently?
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tronkel

#34 Post by tronkel »

@DaveS

See this thread for compiling seamonkey for Wary
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 816#460816

How about having a go at compiling Seamonkey 2.1?
Source is available at the mozilla.org website.

I've been having a go with compiling the latest Firefox for Wary. Seems much more difficult than compiling Seamonkey. Big problems with compile-time dependencies.

I did manage to get a functioning build for Firefox 4 Beta (Minefield) in Ubuntu (64 bit though)

This looks very interesting. Would be excellent to get this built for Puppy/Wary. Nice new interface features and fast. Seems stable as well.

DaveS

#35 Post by DaveS »

tronkel wrote:
How about having a go at compiling Seamonkey 2.1?
Source is available at the mozilla.org website.
I did do a normal install for 2.1 but flash performance fell below acceptable on some sites, so I left it. Figured I would wait for a non beta.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tronkel

#36 Post by tronkel »

DaveS wrote:
Is this the same configuration (options) as the current wary version, or is Barry's configured differently?
This will not be the same configuration as Barry uses. These builds that I made use the default configuration as suggested by Billtoo in the above link to his forum message.

Would be good to experiment and see if any stuff can be disabled in order to get a smaller pet package. The default configure seems to work well though. The current pet is just under 16MB - so it's certainly overweight.

DaveS

#37 Post by DaveS »

And somehow Barry compiles without dbus.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tronkel

#38 Post by tronkel »

There may well have been serious crashes in previous recent Seamonkey versions that could have represented security risks. Mozilla seems to have been aware of this and have released security updates in short order.

This latest 2.0.10 version is playing much better with my hardware. I can leave Seamonkey open and reboot the PC without getting the "embarassment" message the next time Seamonkey restarts. I'll stick with this overweight pet for the moment and see how it pans out.

gjuhasz

#39 Post by gjuhasz »

tronkel wrote:How about having a go at compiling Seamonkey 2.1?
For users like me who have only 256 MB of RAM, there is no way to keep the full distro in RAM. So, why to prefer compiled alpha/beta version of a browser to nightly static packages simply downloaded to the HD?

* Performance? I don't think so. I have to reload such a big packages from the HD due to memory limitations anyway. And I have to install dbus for another reason.
* Stability? No. It's better to have the stable Seamonkey at its privileged place. Other programs directly use some SM modules.
* Libs duplicated unnecessarily? No problem. There is enough place on the HD.
* Makes others who have gigs of memory happy? Hm. Maybe yes. But imagine that there is a Puppy-specific, fat-free package created from a nightly build of Seamonkey/Firefox etc. Ready with lots of effort, valid until the next nightly build. ( ***** It's funny: my static Firefox 4.0b6 just asking me whether to update itself to 4.0b8pre. ***** I back up text of this post, auto-update completes, I continue using the new FF version ***** )
* Just for fun? If so, you are right. I could have bought another laptop with multiple cores and gigs of memory. But my old PII Toshiba Tecra runs Puppy fast enough. And I keep it alive for fun. :wink:

Jim1911

#40 Post by Jim1911 »

Frugal installation on ext3 and ext4 partitions. Tried it first on ext4 partition, and wary_094.sfs could not be located. Now, an identical installation on an ext3 partition works perfectly.

Except for the problem with an ext4 partition, everything, including printing and scanning works. Hardware detection, stability and speed is exceptional.
=== /initrd/tmp/EXTRASFSS ===

devx_java1.6.0.20-i586-sfs4.sfs
LibreOffice_3.3.0_beta2_sfs4.sfs
wary_devx_094.sfs
wine-1.2.1-i486-sfs4.sfs

=== User Installed Pkgs (PPM) ===
Package Description
hplip-3.9.12-scan HP Scanner Driver
pwidgets-2.3.0 Pwidgets tiny desktop apps
LHP_sys_info-0.3 Lighthouse System Information & Video Report
seamonkey_wary-2.0.10-i486 SeaMonkey web browser
wcpufreq-0.4 CPU Frequency Scaling Tool
Above list of installed software is taken from TazOC's LHP_sys_info-0.3, Lighthouse System Information & Video Report which provides a lot of useful information. TazOC has also released wcpufreq-0.4, CPU Frequency Scaling Tool that works fine on Wary.

LibreOffice works great and a sfs is available here for those interested in trying the latest beta2. Tronkel's latest Seamonkey is also exceptional.

NOTE: The problem with an ext4 partition is due to an incorrect entry that I missed in the menu.lst. Sorry for incorrect report.
Last edited by Jim1911 on Wed 03 Nov 2010, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

Sit Heel Speak

The nature of the build of Firefox

#41 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

tronkel wrote:...I've been having a go with compiling the latest Firefox for Wary. Seems much more difficult than compiling Seamonkey. Big problems with compile-time dependencies...
The compile of Firefox is step number approximately-110 in the 2-hundred-and-thirty-something-step procedure of building the full Gnome desktop, when building Gnome using gnome.org's purpose-built build-tool, which is called jhbuild.

So, I suspect that the developers of Firefox maintain its makefile under the expectation and assumption that a substantial fraction of the full Gnome desktop (all harmonized to the identical kernel and glibc) will be already present, on the machine on which Firefox is compiled.

So, building Firefox with high confidence that you nailed all the dependencies does not seem practical to me, except unless you build Firefox by running jhbuild as if you intend to build Gnome, but then just stop after Firefox (which is in two parts: 'xulrunner', then 'mozilla', in the jhbuild descriptors) is compiled. And then you would have to extract Firefox and its dependencies from the partial Gnome desktop you have just built.

It would not surprise me if Seamonkey, to truly get it 100% right, is similarly demanding.

tronkel

#42 Post by tronkel »

@gJuhasz

This idea of compiling a Seamonkey 2.1 Alpha version would simply be for experimental/fun reasons. Really just a review of what's coming in the future. These packages would always remain as optional pets for the more adventurous class of user. This has always been the case.

The Toshiba Tecra range of laptops goes back a long way. I once had a new one. It had only 16MB of RAM and a 133Mhz processor way back then. Everyone thought I was some sort of plutocrat at that time, being able to own a state-of-the-art laptop. LOL.

tronkel

#43 Post by tronkel »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:
It would not surprise me if Seamonkey, to truly get it 100% right, is similarly demanding.
It must be that the Seamonkey developers are not making the same assumptions about Gnome as do the Firefox developers.

Once the standard 4 dbus packages (available via the Wary package repo) were installed, it was an almost trivial matter to build from the stable source (59MB) downloaded form the Mozilla website.

I wonder if Thunderbird is as difficult to compile for Wary as Firefox is. I'm very tempted to have a go with that.

Sage

Missing FF packages...

#44 Post by Sage »

...were:
libxul.so
and
alsa-lib

Same result on FULL install from a different mirror. But everything still works.

Claws is now an independent fork from Sylpheed-Claws, so, please, could kind coder compile Claws? Would recommend it replace Sylpheed in the .pet list, although EudoraOSE 1.0 would be even better.

jackbetz

re: bootable usb sticks

#45 Post by jackbetz »

Please try editing the syslinux.cfg and/or isolinux.cfg on the usb media to read pmedia=usb rather than pmedia=cd. Works for me when using unetbootin to create usb sticks.

Karl Godt

#46 Post by Karl Godt »

Such never happened before :

There had been always complains about initrd.gz

and now its my turn !

the initrd wrote some dirs and driver files to /lib/modules/2.6.31.14

booting wary-094 frugal installed to /wary-094 folder on top level of MacPup on ext2 fs.
Attachments
wary094loadingMacpupFullInstallOnFirstBoot.jpg
(84.39 KiB) Downloaded 1150 times

Billtoo

Re: Missing FF packages...

#47 Post by Billtoo »

Sage wrote: Claws is now an independent fork from Sylpheed-Claws, so, please, could kind coder compile Claws? Would recommend it replace Sylpheed in the .pet list, although EudoraOSE 1.0 would be even better.
I'm no coder but I did compile claws mail and it seems to work but I don't know for sure, anyhow the attached file shows what I did and maybe tronkel would make the two pets necessary since he has a site to post them on,yikes, I shouldn't volunteer other people to help.
Attachments
clawsmail.scrn.jpg
(146.93 KiB) Downloaded 357 times

tronkel

#48 Post by tronkel »

@sage

Just been checking out the possibility of compiling Thunderbird. A cinch in Ubuntu, but very problematic for Wary by the looks of it. EudoraOSE sounds like a good idea, but is likely to be as problematical in Wary as Thunderbird is.

Claws-Mail may be a better idea for Wary. It's a nice program too. If my memory seves me correctly, I once had a go with compiling Claws-Mail. The main program was fine, but the plugins were a problem to compile - can't remember why.

However things may have improved by this time as regards the compiling possibilites here. How vital are the plugins for you?

I'll look into this anyway and get back if I have any joy.

Sage

#49 Post by Sage »

There's another recent thread which discusses Eudora. Someone did do a compile but not for this Wary. As I remember, there was a size issue, but perhaps not too serious? Curious to know whether the Mozilla Foundation completely destroyed Eudora or improved it. I detest Thunderbird with it's obvious bloat, lack of intuitive nature, clumsiness and unacceptable missing functionality. It is said that Thunderbird now incorporates Eudora code; let's hope that the reverse is not true!
As for Claws plug-ins, not my bag, although I'd like a read-ahead function for collecting email addresses from the addressbook and a better header display like blah-blah from Eudora. Claws doesn't seem to have alternative date format displays, either? More transatlantic myopia?!

tronkel

#50 Post by tronkel »

Na, no-go with claws-mail so far

Configures and builds fine, but no SSL available (therefore no IMAP) even with gnutils and openssl installed and configured.

Crashes as well. Bummer.