Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 14 Dec 2019, 01:33
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary Puppy 0.9.4 (094) feedback
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 10 [143 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct 2010, 15:43    Post subject: Wary Puppy 0.9.4 (094) feedback  

Sage wrote:
Gee, t'anks guys. No, I don't have the devx, nor the SFS installer - but now I know how & why. Work in progress...

Later: did an exact search for <SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet > on both the Forum and BK's blog - nil results in both cases. Found a 'Linker' but not an 'Installer'. Any chance of a clue, please?!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=44765 for the sfs installer.

I'm afraid installing the devx might not solve your problem
because I've got 3 094 installs on flash drives and eudora *works* on
all of them *but* I tried booting the live cd and creating a save file
and then upacked the eudora tar file and eudora wouldn't run with or
without the devx installed.

I don't know what's special about the flash drive install but three
flash drive installs on 3 computers eudora works and live with a save
file it doesn't.
Sorry but I'm out of ideas Sad , other than try using bootflash to
create the same thing that I have and try that, with the devx
installed just in case.

edit: I created those flash drive installs in 092 and bootflash wasn't
working properly in 092 because it would only copy 4 files to the
flash drive and not all that was needed so I used bootflash and when
it was finished I clicked on the flash drive to mount it, then
clicked on the 094 iso file to mount that too, then I highlighted all
of the files in the iso and copied them to the bootflash drive, the
bootflash drive worked fine after doing that.
irishrm

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:16    Post subject: wary 094 crash  

Had a systems crash while playing video with mplayer. This resulted in having to do a hard shut down. Re-booted OK but had a complete loss of sound and the sound applet disappeared from the tray. This is the second time this has happened with a usb install. Did a clean re-install after first crash-Irishrm
DaveS

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:32    Post subject: Re: wary 094 crash  

irishrm wrote:
Had a systems crash while playing video with mplayer. This resulted in having to do a hard shut down. Re-booted OK but had a complete loss of sound and the sound applet disappeared from the tray. This is the second time this has happened with a usb install. Did a clean re-install after first crash-Irishrm

Were you streaming the video from the internet while watching? If so, the probable cause of the crash is you 'save file becoming full. Mplayer uses the browser cache rather than setting up a cache in /temp, so if you have a small save file this can happen. I speak from experience Sad

Sage

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:39    Post subject:  

Fiddled around a bit more, got all the files, but, as you suspected, nothing worked.
Firstly, I should say how very grateful I am to you, Billtoo, for your patience, assistance, and perseverance; tronk, as well. Please hold that in mind whilst I explain where I'm coming from. I don't do SW - I hate it, it bores me to tears with all that coding, CLI, file loading, drivers, la, la, la. HW is my bag, right down to component level. Nothing pleases me more than tracking down a spurious HW fault, identifying obscure components with burnt or no labels and finding a compat. that puts everything right again. I reckon I do my 'job' well - better than most. When it comes to mod-ing cpu, just send it over. I can remove sm components, ICs, BIOSes and resolder them with an ordinary soldering iron. I fix other electrical and electronic stuff straight from the skip. So then it comes SW....
So that's my little story. I guess we all need each other, but we all have our limitations.
tronkel

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:54    Post subject:  

@sage

Try this pet package for EudoraOSE

get it here:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-496cad90.html

This is the binary package from the Eudora site
I've included the dbus stuff in the pet. If you try to install and run Eudora running from a live Wary CD, it won't run because the dbus stuff is not installed by default. This runs OK now on my hardware in Wary 0.9.4. If you want it as an sfs I can convert it for you.

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct 2010, 16:59    Post subject:  

tronkel wrote:
@sage

Try this pet package for EudoraOSE

get it here:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-496cad90.html

This is the binary package from the Eudora site
I've included the dbus stuff in the pet. If you try to install and run Eudora running from a live Wary CD, it won't run because the dbus stuff is not installed by default.

S**t, I forgot about dbus when I did live with a save file, that's the answer I think.

edit: yup, that was the problem, installed the 4 dbus pets and eudora works on the live with save file install.

Is dbus so big that it can't be included in wary by default? It would help forgetful people like me Smile
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct 2010, 18:55    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
And somehow Barry compiles without dbus.

See my blog post that explains how I compile SeaMonkey:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01911

irishrm

PostPosted: Sat 30 Oct 2010, 22:03    Post subject: wary 094 crash  

DaveS wrote:
[quote]Were you streaming the video from the internet while watching? If so, the probable cause of the crash is you 'save file becoming full. Mplayer uses the browser cache rather than setting up a cache in /temp, so if you have a small save file this can happen. I speak from experience Sad/

Irishrm:
No just playing downloaded videos. I have a feeling that the sound is suspect certainly on my PC anyway.
rerwin

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010, 00:34    Post subject: Modem driver variant selectors updated
Subject description: Added Intel 537 selector and pctel modem fix

I have updated the Agere and (now) Intel 537 driver-variant selectors in my original modem-update message:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=461900#461900

I have discovered problems with both the Intel537EP variant and with the ALSA wizard. My 537EP does not detect a dialtone, even though the puppy4.3.1-fix-8 installation does get a dialtone. Wary apparently has a newer version of the Intel537 drivers; I googled and found (I think) reports of this, but could not find a resolution (in the interest of time). Anyway, that is outside of the task of selecting variants, so I postponed further investigation of the problem.

The wizard problem seems more serious. On my ancient 1997 Aptiva the wizard offers the line:
cs4236 cs4237B
which I select. Sound still does not work but, worse, shutdown fails with a massive list of error/diagnostic messages and then hangs. It does this on subsequent bootups, too. In addition, there is no provided way to undo the selection - deletion of the alsa.conf file and rebooting seems to take care of that.

UPDATE: The modem update package (-2) now also fixes the pctel problem Barry reported. Now, more about the ALSA wizard: Wary 0.9.4 delivers an alsa.conf file set up for a soundblaster modem; I think there should be no alsa.conf in the delivery, so that only the wizard can create it. Also, later wizard results are appended to alsa.conf instead of replacing any earlier content. That could cause unpredictable operation.
Richard

Last edited by rerwin on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 11:29; edited 1 time in total
tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010, 05:32    Post subject:  

Here is a new pet for Seamonkey 2.0.10 this time with dbus disabled. 13MB.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-97a787ad.html

So you don't need to install the 4 dbus packages via the PPM even if you are running from a live CD.

Seems to be running OK without the start-up crashes as was the case with 2.0.7/8/9 - so Mozilla seem to have nailed the problem (for now at least).

Last edited by tronkel on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 14:40; edited 1 time in total
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010, 06:00    Post subject:  

Rerwin,
Thanks for the patches for agrsm and intel. After I get home I will dig out my collection of old modem cards and do some testing -- I think that one of them is an Intel chip but I don't know exactly what sort.

Anyone else with a dialup soft-modem (not an external serial modem), PCI or ISA card or USB, is invited to test it out in Wary 094.

Sage

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010, 07:41    Post subject:  

Fantasticle! You're a wiz., tronk. I'd've been siting around poking and pushing in total ignorance for decades without your (and Bt's) incisive intuition and instruction. Happy am I - let's hope hordes of fellow fiddlers will appreciate the wonders of Eudora, too.
Muchas gratias, benissimo, felicitations - over & out.

Last edited by Sage on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 11:00; edited 2 times in total
tronkel

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010, 08:49    Post subject:  

Glad it worked out Sage.
What do you reckon are the advantages that Eudora has over vanilla Thunderbird? I've fired up Eudora a few times and couldn't see a huge amount of difference between them - cosmetics aside.

I'm probably missing something here though. Maybe the commercial version of Eudora has more features compared with the FOSS version? I'm going to have a play with it later.

Felicitations to Blighty.

Sage

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010, 09:38    Post subject:  

Quote:
What do you reckon are the advantages that Eudora has...

Big question. I've been an avid user of Eudora 7.1.9 (the last) in 'doze for more than a decade. I'd need to run OSE for a year before I discover the answer to your enquiry. Eudora had the lot. It was said that admin folks who were smart would use OE cr*p at work because their boss was stupid, go home and load up Eudora. As far as I was concerned, Eudora only had one drawback - I had to teach it English. You know, the proper version according to Mr OxfordEnglish Dictionary. Apart from that it was amazing. We shall see whether Mozie has made a dog's dinner of their free gift.

Last edited by Sage on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 11:01; edited 1 time in total
irishrm

PostPosted: Sun 31 Oct 2010, 10:25    Post subject: wary 094 crash  

I posted earlier about wary crashing and resulting loss of sound and I see other mentions of sound problems. Posting sound card details:
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
Irishrm.
Page 5 of 10 [143 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: