"start" menu is too large for a VGA screen

Booting, installing, newbie

"start" menu is too large for a VGA screen

#1 Post by Guest »

Hi,

I am currently running Puppy 1.0.7 on an old laptop that has no better than a 640 x 480 VGA resolution. When I first installed Puppy, the "start" menu (or whatever you call the menu that appears when you click the little puppy) was just small enough vertically to fit within the screen. However, I then installed a dotpup and an additional item ("dotpups") appeared at the top of the start menu, pushing the bottommost item (the one below "Run") off the screen. Now I can't shutdown using the GUI. I can still (barely) access the "Run" item, and thus have a way to shut down via command line.

How can I edit the startup menu to remove the "dotpups" item? Or, how can I shrink the startup menu some other way? My big worry is that another item will appear on the start menu and I won't be able even to access "Run".

MU

#2 Post by MU »

you can edit /root/.jwmrc to remove entries.
You also could install the Icewm-Windowmanager from the Dotpups-Wiki.
It has scrollable menus I think.

Mark

#3 Post by Guest »

Thanks--I'll try that.

By the way, what I downloaded was your patched Dillo dotpup you posted--thanks there too.

Mozilla runs very slowly on my computer with 32 MB RAM--I though I was sunk. But Dillo is so fast it's almost instantaneous.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#4 Post by BarryK »

The latest JWM 1.4 allows you to specify vertical spacing of the menu entries.
In Puppy2alpha and 1.0.8beta, have JWM 1.4, and the /roo/.jwmrc has the height parameter set as
height="0"
which means it is default, determined by icon sizes.
But, you can make it a bit smaller, say "height="22"" and the menu will squash down slightly.

#5 Post by Guest »

Yes, I like JWM and would like to stick with it. Is JWM 1.4 available for Puppy 1.0.7?