Rainlendar2

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
maxpro4u

Rainlendar2

#1 Post by maxpro4u »

Rainlendar is one of my favorite windows desktop apps. The free version does everything I need. I was very happy to find that there is a linux version available. Get it here.
http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php ... &Itemid=32
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb
Testing Slacko and a few others
I'm Max Wachtel and I approve this message.
Registered Linux User #393236

bones01

#2 Post by bones01 »

Looks interesting. Thanks for letting us know about it.
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

rickyricardo

Re: Rainlendar2

#3 Post by rickyricardo »

maxpro4u wrote:Rainlendar is one of my favorite windows desktop apps. The free version does everything I need. I was very happy to find that there is a linux version available. Get it here.
http://www.rainlendar.net/cms/index.php ... &Itemid=32
I've run the Win32 version for years on a WinXP desktop I have at home. I recently loaded the linux version on a couple of TurboPup Xtreme v1 laptops that I have. Load into /usr/local/rainlendar went fine and I copied my license file across and Rainy loaded that OK. It works fine but I've noticed that HTOP shows anywhere from 25% - 45% CPU utilization from Rainy while it is just sitting there. Anyone have any ideas?

Rick in Raleigh

maxpro4u

#4 Post by maxpro4u »

I have no idea what is going on-my htop shows 0-1% cpu for rainy. I placed rainy folder in my c: drive and just put a relative link in the startup folder in each puppy i use.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

rickyricardo

#5 Post by rickyricardo »

maxpro4u wrote:I have no idea what is going on-my htop shows 0-1% cpu for rainy. I placed rainy folder in my c: drive and just put a relative link in the startup folder in each puppy i use.
Thanks for the feedback - I'll uninstall and start from the beginning again. Maybe my .ini file is causing some problems. I'll just make all of the customizations manually and see if that helps.

Rick in Raleigh

rickyricardo

#6 Post by rickyricardo »

rickyricardo wrote:
maxpro4u wrote:I have no idea what is going on-my htop shows 0-1% cpu for rainy. I placed rainy folder in my c: drive and just put a relative link in the startup folder in each puppy i use.
Thanks for the feedback - I'll uninstall and start from the beginning again. Maybe my .ini file is causing some problems. I'll just make all of the customizations manually and see if that helps.

Rick in Raleigh
Figured it out - turns out it was the analog clock I had running from one of the skins I had installed. When I rebuilt everything from scratch Rainy didn't use much resource until I activated the clock. Not sure why it was taking so much CPU other than poor design but I can easily live without the pretty clock. Just thought this might help someone else. Rainlendar is a great product and I'd like to see it used more on Puppy based systems.

Rick in Raleigh

maxpro4u

#7 Post by maxpro4u »

rickyricardo wrote:
rickyricardo wrote:

Rick in Raleigh
Figured it out - turns out it was the analog clock I had running from one of the skins I had installed. When I rebuilt everything from scratch Rainy didn't use much resource until I activated the clock. Not sure why it was taking so much CPU other than poor design but I can easily live without the pretty clock. Just thought this might help someone else. Rainlendar is a great product and I'd like to see it used more on Puppy based systems.

Rick in Raleigh
glad you got it sorted out! i don't use rainy's clock-i use the one from pwidgets.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

rickyricardo

Can't lock windows

#8 Post by rickyricardo »

Hey MaxPro4U - I keep my Rainy calendar, etc locked in the upper right corner of my Windows desktop. I've tried for all I'm worth to lock them in the same place on my TurboPup Xtreme desktop but everytime I drag them over there and then open the options dialog to re-check the 'Lock windows' item, close the options dialog and Rainy refreshes - the windows come back right in the middle of the desktop. I've posted on the Rainlendar forum as well but haven't heard anything. Thought you might have seen this and/or figured it out already.

Rick in Raleigh

maxpro4u

#9 Post by maxpro4u »

seems that rainy stays on some versions of puppy and others it goes where it wants to. i haven't a clue why. also on classic pup there are 3 xwindows on the taskbar which is very annoying.
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb

rickyricardo

#10 Post by rickyricardo »

maxpro4u wrote:seems that rainy stays on some versions of puppy and others it goes where it wants to. i haven't a clue why. also on classic pup there are 3 xwindows on the taskbar which is very annoying.
Thanks for the reply. Rainlendar should be 'notified' by the window manager of the change in the Rainlendar window(s) and then record the changes in the .ini file. For some reason, that isn't happening - there aren't any 'window position' entries in the .ini file. I got around it by shutting Rainy down, manually creating the appropriate entries in the .ini file, then restarting Rainy. Now everything appears anchored at the top right of my desktop.

BTW - I have multiple entries for Rainy as well but they don't clutter up the task bar cause I run TurboPup Xtreme v1.0 - it's minimalist desktop doesn't have a task bar but mini-icons along the left side of the desktop that only appear when you hover over the area with you mouse pointer. All minimized apps show as extra mini-icons in that same area - so I don't have to look at them while working with any visible app on the desktop. I've attached a screen shot of HTOP showing the multiple entries for Rainy plus one of the entire minimalist desktop that shows the mini icons (they aren't usually visible unless you mouse over them). The skin I use shows the calendar and events in a single window plus I also run the digital clock from a second skin. TurboPup Xtreme v1.0 is really great if most of what you do is web browsing, email and the occasional document. I run it on a couple of older Dell P3 laptops and it is very responsive. Have you tried it?

Rick in Raleigh
Attachments
full_desktop.png
(34.12 KiB) Downloaded 961 times
htop.png
(18.71 KiB) Downloaded 863 times

maxpro4u

#11 Post by maxpro4u »

Just a heads-up. The latest version of rainlendar lite does not display correctly on some versions of puppy. The beta pro version(debian) is fine and works ok without entering a licence(I am using it now on fluppy).
Dell D610 1.7M w/1024mb