Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
charlie6

pupl.exe error

#581 Post by charlie6 »

Hi,
digging a bit deeper into my quest for getting puppy running on windows10...
using LICK-1.3.3.
I got the following message running (see screenshot)

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\lick\res>pupl.exe
(brief translation)
16 bits application not handled
Impossible to start nor execute the program ...
...blablibla...«C:\...\pupl.exe» ...incompatibility with Windows 64 bits...
...please contact developper...
Does anyone get an analog result?

Lasr edited: also got the same messages using LICK-1.3.2.
Thanks for any answer :)
Charlie
Attachments
pupldrDORexeERROR.png
pupl.exe error
(183.44 KiB) Downloaded 159 times

noryb009

#582 Post by noryb009 »

Hi charlie6,

First, sorry that I didn't respond earlier, I never got an email notification from the forum :(

The pupl.exe is not for your system, it's only used for Windows 95/98/ME. I'm not surprised it gives an error on Windows 10.

pupldr.mbr is only created if LICK thinks your system uses BIOS mode (not UEFI). The "Error changing boot menu to Legacy" also only occurs if LICK thinks your system uses BIOS.

I'm a little surprised that there is a Windows 10 machine that doesn't use UEFI mode (although, it looks like it's simply disabled on your machine). I'm not sure if I tested this configuration recently, I'll try it out some time soon and see if I run into the same issues as you.

In the mean time, you might be able to convert your system to use UEFI, but there's no guarantee that this will work well. If you want to try this, this looks like a good starting place, but you may have issues, either with Windows or with LICK afterwards.

noryb009

#583 Post by noryb009 »

wiak,

If the squashfs/initrd.gz/vmlinuz can boot from a directory on an NTFS drive, it should work. There's a way to install from a directory, just give the directory when it asks for an ISO, I suspect that will work for you.

Other distros are half supported by LICK - there's support in the library for them, but not in the UI. This is an example distro configuration file, it uses a blacklist of files to not copy (in distro_puppy_filter) and fills a distro_info_node_t struct with some simple info (path of vmlinuz, initrd, and options for the initrd).

charlie6

#584 Post by charlie6 »

noryb009 wrote:Hi charlie6,
... If you want to try this, this looks like a good starting place, but you may have issues, either with Windows or with LICK afterwards.
Hi noryb009!
Thanks a lot for your much appreciated post! And for the explanations. I've learned a bit more about what UEFI consists of.

I'll give it a try soon and return results.
Best regards, Charlie

charlie6

#585 Post by charlie6 »

Hi nooryb009,

applying the instructions from the given link, I got:
X:\windows\system32\>mbr2gpt /validate
MBRGPT: Attempting ...disk 0
MBRGPT: Rertrieving ...disk 0
MBRGPT: Validating ...disk size is: 512 bytes
Cannot find OS partition(s) for disk 0
I also googled the web and found this link:
https://medium.com/@revanmj/one-way-to- ... 631dfd9f5e

While in command line I have tried to save the %windir%/setupact.log file by copying it to %windir%/setupact.log.txt back.
But after shutdown and restart of windows 10, I could not find that setupact.log.txt file

According that link, I then do the command:
X:\windows\system32\>reagentc /info
which returns that the command reagent is unknown

Thansk again for your time!
Charlie

wiak

#586 Post by wiak »

noryb009 wrote:wiak,

If the squashfs/initrd.gz/vmlinuz can boot from a directory on an NTFS drive, it should work. There's a way to install from a directory, just give the directory when it asks for an ISO, I suspect that will work for you.

Other distros are half supported by LICK - there's support in the library for them, but not in the UI. This is an example distro configuration file, it uses a blacklist of files to not copy (in distro_puppy_filter) and fills a distro_info_node_t struct with some simple info (path of vmlinuz, initrd, and options for the initrd).
Thanks nory, I'll give it a try sometime.

wiak

charlie6

#587 Post by charlie6 »

Hi nooryb009,
The following might help for understanding ... :roll:
About my windows 10 session: in year 2016, I bought as second hand that PC (Dell) with windows 10 installed (bought in a very professional shop that refurbishs and reconfigures PCs).

Since, it got several updates automatically.

I remember (but forgot how...) once having set the system in order to be able to acces read-write the hdd partitions (i.e. sda1 and sda2) using a puppy live-cd. I did that trick just one time.

Now I run bionicpup64-8.0 on that PC (with BIOS set to "Legacy") using a usb key. I then noticed sda1 and sda2 are read-only mounted.
I used that windows 10 PC for running some specific graphic apps for my job.

HTH, Charlie

charlie6

cannot get «secure boot» enabled on windows 10

#588 Post by charlie6 »

Hi noryb009,
attached the command line comments when running ReAgentc from cmd.exe inside the windows 10 graphic environment
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ReAgentc /info
to notice: while in the TROUBLESHOOT environment, the 'reagentc' command does not start: I get:
X:\windows\system32>reagentc /info
'reagentc' not recognized as external nor internal command, executable program nor command file
last edited:
Another issue: I cannot get «secure boot» enabled anymore on windows 10
I have googled the web, found some tutorials to fix this; but once in TROUBLESHOOT environment command line, I get the same comment as above when running a command...!?
Thanks in advance for any help!
Best regards, Charlie
Attachments
reagentc.png
(89.13 KiB) Downloaded 167 times

noryb009

#589 Post by noryb009 »

Hi Charlie,

Your system configuration seems a bit odd. Could you run Command Prompt as an admin, and copy/paste the output of:

Code: Select all

bcdedit
I'm mostly interested if there's a section about LICK, and what the normal boot procedure uses (paths that end with a EFI extension or not).

charlie6

#590 Post by charlie6 »

Hi noryb009,
I'm happy reading from you! :)
Here is the copy/paste of the bcdedit run from command line (cmd.exe as Admin. rights):
Microsoft Windows [version 10.0.18362.900]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>bcdedit

Gestionnaire de démarrage Windows (translated: windows boot manager)
---------------------------------
identificateur {bootmgr}
device partition=C:
description Windows Boot Manager
locale fr-FR
inherit {globalsettings}
resumeobject {1cf20c12-41c5-11ea-89b3-ebdcf1a75ae2}
displayorder {current}
{1a1f5534-b9d1-11ea-83a0-18037345ff4c}
toolsdisplayorder {memdiag}
timeout 5

Chargeur de démarrage Windows (translated: windows boot loader)
-----------------------------
identificateur {current}
device partition=C:
path \WINDOWS\system32\winload.exe
description Windows 10
locale fr-FR
inherit {bootloadersettings}
recoverysequence {aa34709e-b6b2-11ea-8397-18037345ff4c}
displaymessageoverride CommandPrompt
recoveryenabled Yes
allowedinmemorysettings 0x15000075
osdevice partition=C:
systemroot \WINDOWS
resumeobject {1cf20c12-41c5-11ea-89b3-ebdcf1a75ae2}
nx OptIn
bootmenupolicy Legacy

Secteur de démarrage en mode réel (translated: real mode boot sector)
---------------------------------
identificateur {1a1f5534-b9d1-11ea-83a0-18037345ff4c}
device partition=C:
path \pupldr.mbr
description LICK Boot Loader

C:\WINDOWS\system32>
Thanks again! Charlie

noryb009

#591 Post by noryb009 »

So assuming that the boot menu shows up (let me know if it doesn't) and trying to boot LICK still returns the error "file: \pupldr.mbr could not be loaded" (let me know if it doesn't):

I originally saw this error when trying to run the BIOS install method on UEFI systems. At the time I thought the error was from Windows not being able to chainload from a UEFI to pupldr.mbr correctly, but since it's happening on your system, it might be that the system UEFI can't run pupldr.mbr correctly.

Unfortunately, I think the only way LICK could work on your system is if you can switch it to a UEFI system, which I know you're running into issues with, and I unfortunately cannot help with those issues, since I don't know enough about what that program is trying to do.

bigpup

#592 Post by bigpup »

charlie6,

After running Lick in Windows to do the install.
Did you do a complete normal shutdown of Windows 10?

I know if you shutdown Windows 10 in hibernation.
It will cause all kinds of strange problems, trying to do anything but boot Windows 10.
I have no idea how it could or would not affect Lick, but just an idea to consider.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

charlie6

#593 Post by charlie6 »

Hi noryb009 and bigpup ;-) !
Thanks for your replies!
noryb009 wrote:...
I originally saw this error when trying to run the BIOS install method on UEFI systems. At the time I thought the error was from Windows not being able to chainload from a UEFI to pupldr.mbr correctly, but since it's happening on your system, it might be that the system UEFI can't run pupldr.mbr correctly.
About UEFI: my current Win10 system cannot boot any longer on UEFI (which was the case before I might have done something..."wrong" but I do not remember how/what :-/) So I believe my Win10 needs some "repair", and perhaps a reinstall. Unfortunatelly I have no rescue disk...but only a disk image I have saved upon PC purchase on an external usb HDD.
bigpup wrote:...Did you do a complete normal shutdown of Windows 10? ...
Thanks bigpup! I have already read your previous about this among this thread, and took care to each time do a complete shutdown (Menu/Shutdown) of Win10.

Again tons of thanks to you both for your time!
Best regards, Charlie (! 12 years running Puppy today! :D Image )