Mirror

#151 Post by shinobar »

noryb009 wrote:531 and 531 PAE have been uploaded
Mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

PenguinPupLin

#152 Post by PenguinPupLin »

ICPUG wrote:Thanks for that detail on how you solved your problem. How big is that driver? Can we get it uploaded somewhere so other users can get it without having to compile it for themselves?
The usr/lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so is 34m size. Is this the right one? Sorry,you're talking to a newbie.

Anothing thing,I discovered a hitch - while report video glx showed the fglrx driver is used,the AMD Catalyst Control Center>Display Manager>Display Properties(for my Samsung Syncmaster 931C LCD panel) didn't show anything,no resolution or refresh rates, until I select Multi Display as Single Display Desktop. I guessed this is a problem with my problematic Radeon HD5450 graphics card. Apart from this,so far so good.

Let me know where or how I can upload it. Sorry,I have yet to learn how to make a pet.

ICPUG

#153 Post by ICPUG »

I'm conversing with PenguinPupLin via PM regarding the driver as it is not really specific to the Windows installer. If we get a means of disseminating the solution to others I'll announce it somewhere.

noryb009

Re: Mirror

#154 Post by noryb009 »

shinobar wrote:
noryb009 wrote:531 and 531 PAE have been uploaded
Mirrored:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/
Thank you very much! Added to the first post.

voltaire

#155 Post by voltaire »

Hi guys,

Forgive me for asking for a little support in here, but it probably won't get seen by the right people in the general area...

I'm trying to use the Windows installer because it's the only way with a IBM Thinkpad 570e which does not have any external drives, can't boot from USB or even PCMCIA, and doesn't have a network card. It originally came with Win98, but was upgraded to WinXP.

I installed the Puppy Linux 531.exe in WinXP and the Windows part of it went through with no problems. After reboot, it couldn't find the .sfs file.
So then I tried Quickset_Wary_Puppy_Linux_511.exe (after uninstall/reboot of previous attempt) and the Windows part also installed without a hitch, but upon reboot got basically the same error as the 531 install. At the splash screen whether I choose to "Load Save File" or not, I get:
-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE
-Searching for Puppy files in disk drives... wary_511.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...
-/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control turned off

So then I go back in through Windows and in C:\Wary-511 there IS a wary_511.sfs there along with the other few files in that dir. I also see the gldr and Grub_GUI.gz in C:\

So any ideas of what to try? I'm kind of at the end of my rope trying to get a linux running on this laptop without any other way besides Windows installers. (Out of desperation, I've also tried the Wubi installer for Ubuntu and the Joli Windows installer... predictably, no joy with those...)

Do you think the issue may be related to this originally being a Win98 OS which was upgraded to XP? I think I read something somewhere about issues with 98...

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I think I'm gonna go try that Debian Windows installer now as a final act of desperation... I'd MUCH rather get good 'ole Puppy working though!

RSH

#156 Post by RSH »

voltaire wrote:Hi guys,

Forgive me for asking for a little support in here, but it probably won't get seen by the right people in the general area...

I'm trying to use the Windows installer because it's the only way with a IBM Thinkpad 570e which does not have any external drives, can't boot from USB or even PCMCIA, and doesn't have a network card. It originally came with Win98, but was upgraded to WinXP.

I installed the Puppy Linux 531.exe in WinXP and the Windows part of it went through with no problems. After reboot, it couldn't find the .sfs file.
So then I tried Quickset_Wary_Puppy_Linux_511.exe (after uninstall/reboot of previous attempt) and the Windows part also installed without a hitch, but upon reboot got basically the same error as the 531 install. At the splash screen whether I choose to "Load Save File" or not, I get:
-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE
-Searching for Puppy files in disk drives... wary_511.sfs not found. Drop ping out to initial-ramdisk console...

So then I go back in through Windows and in C:\Wary-511 there IS a wary_511.sfs there along with the other few files in that dir. I also see the gldr and Grub_GUI.gz in C:\

So any ideas of what to try? I'm kind of at the end of my rope trying to get a linux running on this laptop without any other way besides Windows installers. (Out of desperation, I've also tried the Wubi installer for Ubuntu and the Joli Windows installer... predictably, no joy with those...)

Do you think the issue may be related to this originally being a Win98 OS which was upgraded to XP? I think I read something somewhere about issues with 98...

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I think I'm gonna go try that Debian Windows installer now as a final act of desperation... I'd MUCH rather get good 'ole Puppy working though!
Try LazY Puppy. It comes also as win-installer. Link below...
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

shinobar

wary_511.sfs not found

#157 Post by shinobar »

voltaire wrote:-Loading drivers needed to access disk drives... DONE

It seems the kernel issue, that is the disk driver cannot handle your hardware.
Older version of Puppy may run, but the winodws installers provide only Puppies 5.x at this point of time...
There is a chance you try the Unetbootin with old(4.x) Puppies.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

By the way, how did you upgrade the Win98 to XP? I think you need some boot up media other than the HDD for the sake of an accident on the HDD.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Aitch

#158 Post by Aitch »

voltaire

IF you have a floppy disc in your 570E you can boot from an external USB or CD using plop boot manager, or one of these dos boot utilities downloaded and saved to disk

http://www.bootdisk.com/usb.htm

http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagers.html

I got a 560 and 570 running puppy 2.14x and 4.21 quite well a few years back, and even added usb2 and network via pcmcia adapters

Tough old machines, but need bios update and maxram .... :D

Aitch :)

voltaire

#159 Post by voltaire »

Wow, three replies in less than 24 hours, thanks guys! Before I gave up last night, I tried the Debian Windows installer and it looks like it will work, but I quit before doing any partitioning, because I want Puppy damn it!
Try LazY Puppy. It comes also as win-installer. Link below...
Thanks! I'll try this first. <fingers crossed>
It seems the kernel issue, that is the disk driver cannot handle your hardware.
Older version of Puppy may run, but the winodws installers provide only Puppies 5.x at this point of time...
There is a chance you try the Unetbootin with old(4.x) Puppies.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/
Thanks. I was looking at Unetbootin, but figured that the result would be the same as with the two Windows-installer Puppys I already tried. I'll try a 4.x if the LazY Puppy doesn't work.
By the way, how did you upgrade the Win98 to XP? I think you need some boot up media other than the HDD for the sake of an accident on the HDD.
IF you have a floppy disc in your 570E you can boot from an external USB or CD using plop boot manager, or one of these dos boot utilities downloaded and saved to disk...
I was given this laptop by someone who just wanted the data off of it, and I could keep it afterwards. He doesn't have/can't find the proprietary external drive that it once had, and since it can't boot from USB... here I am! I got his data off via thumbdrive, and now I just want to breathe a bit of life into this thing, since it's just too slow with XP to use for my purposes. If the HD ever dies on it, I'll probably cannibalize the LCD out of it and try to use it in my old ThinkPad with a broken screen.

Anyway, thanks for responses/ideas, I'll try them out tonight.

[/quote]

PenguinPupLin

#160 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Installed using the Windows Installer Slacko 531 on my friend's WinXP desktop PC. It was running fine the past few days until today when suddenly I couldn't boot into the menu after selecting "Start Puppy Linux" which returned the following error message:

Try (hd0,0): NTFS5:No grldr
Try (hd0,1):invalid or null
Try(hd0,2):invalid or null
Try(hd0.3):invalid or null
Try(fd0):invalid or null
Error:Cannot find grldr in all drives.
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

Tried reinstalling the 531 Windows Installer, didn't help, merely created another Slacko 531 boot code in the menu.lst

Thought it was missing the glrdr.mbr, so copied it over from another machine but no joy.

Uninstalled everything,including the pupsave as I've made a backup,then reinstalled the Windows Installer, again no luck.

Yesterday, all I did was to run the lupufy-slacko.004.pet,installed abispell for abiword and surfed the Internet;the day before,changed the avg antivirus in WinXP to avast - it was still working alright when I turned off the PC for the night.

This is somewhat embarrassing as I was intending to introduce my friend to try Slacko this way. Hope somebody can help me fix it before he comes to collect his PC back; luckily,I didn't mess up his WinXP.
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Fri 02 Mar 2012, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#161 Post by Aitch »

PenguinPupLin

Check you have a puppy folder containing:
initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_slacko.xxx.sfs, and slacko_save.2 or 3fs,
in your root [C:\] directory, and menu.lst....here's mine, - adjust yours to suit
timeout=5

default=0

gfxmenu=/Grub_GUI.gz

title Puppy Linux 530 PAE

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/initrd.gz

kernel /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/vmlinuz psubdir="Puppy-Linux-530-PAE" pfix=fsck

initrd /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/initrd.gz

boot

title Puppy Linux 530 PAE - Do not load save file

find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/initrd.gz

kernel /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/vmlinuz psubdir="Puppy-Linux-530-PAE" pfix=ram

initrd /Puppy-Linux-530-PAE/initrd.gz

boot
and boot.ini
boot loader]

timeout=5

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS.0="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\grldr="Start Puppy Linux"
together with grbldr and grub_gui.gz

and you should be good to go... :D

HTH

PenguinPupLin

#162 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Thanks,Aitch,you're ever ready to help. Have checked everything you pointed out and found all in order;in fact,that's how I multi-boot my puppies with WindowsXP/Vista before doing it on my friend's computer.

As I've said,it's working fine until yesterday. Despite repeated tries,including clean install after wiping out all traces of previous installs, as well as troubleshooting WinXP with checkdisk, sfc.exe, full defrag, antivirus/malware scanning,etc -- all to no avail.

All this while,WinXP is running alright and I'm using the said PC to post my reply. A search on the web revealed a few Ubuntu/Linux Mint users have encountered similar problem and their solution was to replace the /root and /swap folder that can be restored from either found.000 or dir.0000 folders or the renamed root.disk chk0000.chk but,unfortunately,the aforementioned three folders/files aren't anywhere to be seen,not even as hidden files.

Well, I'll just have to wait and see, the computer world often throws up unpredictable and strange happenings,never ceasing to catch us by surprise. Meanwhile, I hope my two other computers(one WinXP notebook and one Vista desktop) with the same setup are not hit by this anomaly.
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.

ICPUG

#163 Post by ICPUG »

The error message suggests the file grldr has been deleted from the root directory of the Windows partition:
c:\grldr

This is NOT grldr.mbr but a different file with no extension.

Aitch

#164 Post by Aitch »

That was my first thought....as pointed out in my more detailed list of necessary files - you may have overlooked it, checking menu.lst and boot.ini contents?
Aitch wrote:Check you have a puppy folder containing:
initrd.gz, vmlinuz, puppy_slacko.xxx.sfs, and slacko_save.2 or 3fs,
in your root [C:\] directory, and menu.lst.....and boot.ini ....together with grbldr and grub_gui.gz [EDIT: typo grldr not grbldr]

and you should be good to go... :D
I did encounter the same problem, earlier on a different PC, and fixed it [somehow?] by installing a different win32.exe file...I think I used 525?...which then got both of them working - maybe grldr got corrupted somehow?
I later deleted 525 and don't use it now as my hardware is SCSI based so slacko, and I have been so happy with that, I haven't even updated from 530 yet....

PenguinPupLin

#165 Post by PenguinPupLin »

The C:\grldr (and not grldr.mbr which may not be needed for WinXP, I think) is there all the time, and , thinking that it could be corrupted, I actually copied it over from another computer of mine with the same setup;not only that, I also tried uninstalling and reinstalling it a few times, to no avail.

Thanks,both of you for being willing to engage me on this unusual,tricky problem. As for Aitch's suggestion of using the windows installer for lupu525, I would give it a try later but have to be extra careful not to mess up my friend's WinXP.

Latest: Aitch, I just downloaded the lupu525.exe and installed it, first time in addition to Slacko531, second time uninstalled both and reinstalled only lupu525, still no joy.
Last edited by PenguinPupLin on Thu 01 Mar 2012, 17:04, edited 1 time in total.

Aitch

#166 Post by Aitch »

No problem
The beauty of the installers is, you can uninstall them...it doesn't adversely affect windoze at all...just like any other software, only better...tee hee

noryb009

#167 Post by noryb009 »

PenguinPupLin: That's an odd problem. It looks like it's running grldr.mbr, as Windows doesn't use "(hd0,0)" numbering, but it can't find the grldr file. Can you check your C:\boot.ini (it's hidden by default, just type in the name into notepad's open dialog) for references to "grldr.mbr" (which shouldn't exist on a XP install)?

Can you check any loaded non-C drives (USBs, CDs, ...) for a "menu.lst" file in the root?

Is if the NTFS partition compressed? I think you can check by going to "My Computer->right click on C:->properties". If so, it is probably why it is failing.

It would also fail if the grldr is fragmented. Use this tool to defragment the one file. Run: contig C:\grldr

You can also try to move grldr onto a USB and see if it finds it there.
grldr.mbr which may not be needed for WinXP, I think
Correct, winXP doesn't need it.

PenguinPupLin

#168 Post by PenguinPupLin »

(1) My boot.ini as follows:-

[boot loader]
timeout=5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

c:\grldr="Start Puppy Linux"

(2) There's no grldr.mbr, I understand it's not needed for WinXP, not anymore (since 2007?)

(3) My menu.lst:-

timeout=5
default=0
gfxmenu=/Grub_GUI.gz

title Puppy Linux 531
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Puppy-Linux-531/initrd.gz
kernel /Puppy-Linux-531/vmlinuz psubdir="Puppy-Linux-531" pfix=fsck
initrd /Puppy-Linux-531/initrd.gz
boot

title Puppy Linux 531 - Do not load save file
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /Puppy-Linux-531/initrd.gz
kernel /Puppy-Linux-531/vmlinuz psubdir="Puppy-Linux-531" pfix=ram
initrd /Puppy-Linux-531/initrd.gz
boot

[I've only one harddisk with one partition C:\, no other loaded non-C drives]

(4) No,my ntfs partition is not compressed, just a basic drive

(5) Run: contig C:\grldr , still no joy but thanks,noryb009,for the tip.

(6) Tried booting up with grldr on a USB flash drive (root) and see if it finds it there - nope, no luck.
In the error message, there was this line 'Try (fd0):invalid or null' -- I guess fd refers to flash drive as there is no floppy drive in my friend's PC.

Aitch

#169 Post by Aitch »

PenguinPupLin

No (fd0) IS floppy drive, I believe

Check that your slacko531 folder on C:\ is labelled 'Puppy-Linux-531' to match your menu.lst.....otherwise it looks OK...

Strange about this grldr problem....? check properties and ensure it is executable, set read/write and its real directory is /initrd/mnt/dev_save

Did you defrag your windoze drive BEFORE installing the installer?
If not, I would suggest uninstalling, then run chkdsk, then defrag, then try installing again on the checked and defragged drive

I note you have other posts with similar problems....make sure you aren't mixing versions in your save files causing file errors - use pfix=ram to verify

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 157#606157

My only other thought is a bad download, maybe...?

PenguinPupLin

#170 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Aitch, I've done this twice before in two of my own PCs(one with Slacko.exe,the other with Lucid528.exe), this time I'm doing it for my friend's PC again with Slacko.exe. It's a clean install, the savefile I created was also backed up in his harddrive,no mixing his with mine, and the Slacko folder,Puppy-Linux-531,and menu.lst were created by the Puppy Linux 531.exe windows installer.

"grldr File 213KB" is how it's labelled in WinXP C:\.

The first time, I didn't defrag windows drive before installing Slacko531 and it was running fine until that fateful day. Then I tried various ways to get it working by uninstalling,reinstalling, with chkdsk(twice), defrag, sfc.exe (system file checker), scanned for viruses with Malwarebytes,SuperAnti-Spyware, Microsoft Scanner, installed AVG2012 then tried avast!Antivirus...

Bad download of Slacko.exe which I've used twice successfully,the second time on this very same PC? Well,I also tried lupu525.exe as you suggested earlier, downloaded from the 1st post,no md5sum to check integrity though -- the same outcome. Been searching the Internet for a solution and come across a few cases for Ubuntu users of wubi installer facing similar problem as mine;there was a case dated back 2007 and he claimed three years later still no solution. May be a bug with grub4dos affecting a miniscule number,hoped it will be resolved one day.