Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 18 Sep 2014, 23:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Linux Windows Installer - V1.1 released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 22 of 23 [338 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
as77

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 02:29    Post subject:  

For Knoppix I have a two pages long list of boot menu options, which do (among other things) cure the blank display symptom (forcing to VESA)

This right from the boot prompt, not needing to run xorgwizard. Could email potential fixes to the lady living over twenty miles from here. Unfortunately having the seldom used Via S3 Unichrome Pro display adapter
mikeb

PostPosted: Thu 17 Apr 2014, 08:45    Post subject:  

Via unichrome..indeed a nightmare...modelines in xorg.conf needed.

All getting a bit off topic apart from with regard to what to edit to change boot configs.

One things for sure norby009 is that the win32 installer is getting plenty of use Very Happy and by and large is getting good results for users. (chatroom and forum feedback I notice)

mike
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 00:48    Post subject:  

a picture is worth 1000 words
malicious.png
 Description   
 Filesize   27.96 KB
 Viewed   455 Time(s)

malicious.png

noryb009

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 13:27    Post subject:  

Thank you for bringing that to my attention. I can assure you that this is a false positive. Google Chrome has marked a few other things false positive as well, and you can find more stories if you search for them.

I have downloaded one installer (570), and it has the same md5 and sha1 sum as the original. Mediafire is therefore not modifying the files (or at least that one).

You have to remember, this isn't your average installer - it changes how the system boots. To a malware scanner, it looks like a rootkit trying to conceal itself. I scanned a few installers with Windows Defender, and everything was clean.

If you still don't believe me, feel free to read through the source code. NSIS installers can be opened by 7-zip, so you can check the puppy files against the checksums of the files in the ISO. Finally, if you believe that I would change the source before compiling, you can decompile the script by using these tools. I couldn't get the decompiler to work, but compiling an installer with the same puppy files and settings should be the same, or very similar (from a binary diff tool). To reduce the size of the diff (from compression differences), you could just diff the script.bin file from the output of the Universal Extractor (see previous link). If anyone wants more specifics to get a closer match, let me know.

It wouldn't convince anyone if I decompiled the script/recompiled the exe, so if anyone wants to do so, let us know the result.
rokytnji

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 18:39    Post subject:  

I use the Slack0 5.7 .exe on my Compaq CQ57 Laptop with 4 primary Compaq partitions.

I guess if one wants to complicate things so the warning goes away

Quote:
Change the file extension, and ask the user to rename the files back to .exe

Though renaming a file can be intimidating to a clueless computer user used to downloading and selecting run blindly.

It would require site instructions edit also. More a PITA than it is worth.
Just my opinion though.

vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 18:49    Post subject:  

I could install Puppy by this method in a computer I bought recently. The computer has an old optical drive that won't allow booting from live CD, and I couldn't get flash drives to boot either. I wouldn't have installed Puppy that quickly if I hadn't used one of your Windows installers. Thank you noryb009.

Last edited by vicmz on Sun 15 Jun 2014, 17:35; edited 1 time in total
mikeb

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 19:00    Post subject:  

Quote:

if thats all it takes to gets chromes 'approval' it just shows what a joke it is....

mike
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jun 2014, 19:36    Post subject:  

mikeb wrote:
Quote:

if thats all it takes to gets chromes 'approval' it just shows what a joke it is....

mike
It also relies on the host to use the file extension as the means of generating the Content type: http header... if the server wasn't concerned with latency, they could check for Magic to determine the files - I wrote one that is pretty fast (about as fast as you can get without using assembly language),but it still has to read the actual file so it will always be a couple of magnitudes slower than doing a binary search on the file extension.
xanad

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2014, 05:57    Post subject:  

...news from Italy

Puppy_Precise_IT 571.exe https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9e78iH9qX7N25RN0ZoWE1UVW8/edit?usp=sharing

Puppy_Slacko_IT_570.exe https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9e78iH9qX7cjVkMzlpdFVrc2c/edit?usp=sharing

All in italian language: installer&puppy
noryb009

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2014, 16:34    Post subject:  

rokytnji: Thank you for the suggestion, but file extensions are not shown on Windows by default. I want to keep the installer as simple as possible, so I won't change the extension.

vicmz: Thank you for letting me know! It's always nice to hear about the windows installer installing puppy when other methods don't work.

xanad: Thank you, I have added the links to the first post. Do you mind if I ask, did you use the NLS branch of PLIC? If so, did you run into any problems?
technosaurus

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jun 2014, 19:19    Post subject:  

I ended up using unetbootin on a previously downloaded iso (otherwise it still tries to install 4.2) and installed on a usb stick that I formatted to fat32... went smoothly.

you could try making it into a self extracting zip file if those are still allowed (I only use windows to download Linux since Vista)

xanad

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jun 2014, 03:26    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
Do you mind if I ask, did you use the NLS branch of PLIC? If so, did you run into any problems?

no, only win7 + Puppy Linux Installer Creator V1 + nsis-3.0a2-setup.exe, now I try with PLIC.
xanad

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 06:08    Post subject:  

Hi Noryb009,
PLIC NLS works fine! Very Happy
New links:
Puppy Precise IT 571.exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9e78iH9qX7R1MwWFZ1R2hPUFk/edit?usp=sharing
Puppy Slacko IT 570.exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9e78iH9qX7MWFsWUo0bEJ1LWM/edit?usp=sharing
Puppy Precise Retro IT 571.exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9e78iH9qX7ZVFMbXBta1dmZVU/edit?usp=sharing
Puppy Slacko NO-pae IT 570.exe: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bz9e78iH9qX7MDJDTzgyMDVCRHM/edit?usp=sharing

-- previous links was deleted --
noryb009

PostPosted: Wed 18 Jun 2014, 17:11    Post subject:  

Thank you for checking that. I've updated the links in the first post.
moijdikssekool

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jun 2014, 08:03    Post subject: install doesn't work  

hi
i try to install puppy thanks to "Slacko Puppy Linux 5.7.0.exe" on win7. The installation asks to reboot to run puppy but windows starts as usual.
The "Slacko-Puppy-Linux-5.7.0" directory is created in c: and seems to be ok.
If i look the starter in msconfig, there is no puppy choice
So what to do?
Page 22 of 23 [338 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 20, 21, 22, 23 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: