Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 24 Sep 2017, 03:08
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.2 released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 28 of 31 [451 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 Next
starlyte

PostPosted: Sun 27 Mar 2016, 13:54    Post subject:  

It is an HP pavillon 15incbh. An Intel 1.9giga CPU. Only just over a year old but it does not have those lights unfotunately.
One for Caps. 1 for charging mains. On/off . Wifi. That's it.
I'll try to get another PC up and at it. If I could flash the bios with USB... which means at least one of the now 2 o.o.o. PCs working.
I really messed up on this. And it has info that I must get back in it. As well I want to change screen in time...
Or as it has been on 24/7 for 15 months maybe... I can'thear the disk even....
amn87

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar 2016, 12:59    Post subject: Boot.ini located in a different partition.  

I cant seem to get LICK to work with my particular system configuration. I am running Windows XP which is installed on D: drive but for some reason the boot.ini is located in C: drive. Is there any way to point LICK towards the actual boot.ini location? I have included a screenshot illustrating the exact error. Thanks in advance!
P.S. On this very config I had earlier got Puppy running via Lin' and Win' method. But I would much rather automate it. Plus the Puppy Windows installer worked as well.
lick.jpg
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  lick.jpg 
Filesize  67.91 KB 
Downloaded  222 Time(s) 
noryb009

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar 2016, 22:15    Post subject:  

amn87: Thanks for the bug report. I've created a patch that should fix your issue. You can download a zip file here. Let me know if it resolves your issue. If all goes well, I'll make a new official release.

starlyte: Could you please answer the other questions in my last post:

Quote:
When you turn on your computer, does the power button / power light turn on? If you don't press anything for a few minutes, does it turn off at some point?

Press the caps lock key a few times throughout the startup. Does the light respond to the button? When does it become responsive or unresponsive?
amn87

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar 2016, 23:16    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
amn87: Thanks for the bug report. I've created a patch that should fix your issue. You can download a zip file here. Let me know if it resolves your issue. If all goes well, I'll make a new official release.

starlyte: Could you please answer the other questions in my last post:

Quote:
When you turn on your computer, does the power button / power light turn on? If you don't press anything for a few minutes, does it turn off at some point?

Press the caps lock key a few times throughout the startup. Does the light respond to the button? When does it become responsive or unresponsive?

Many thanks for the quick response. I managed to get Puppy installed via the command line interface. There was a new entry in the boot.ini file and upon reboot I was prompted with an option to "Start LICK loader" but it merely presented with a new error, along the lines of " Windows installation is corrupt. hal.dll is missing" But my original Windows was not affected.
noryb009

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar 2016, 23:21    Post subject:  

amn87: There's a few ways that error can appear. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini, both with the bootloader installed and uninstalled? (you can do it from the menu in the GUI, or I believe one of the options in the CLI).
amn87

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2016, 01:17    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
amn87: There's a few ways that error can appear. Could you post the contents of your boot.ini, both with the bootloader installed and uninstalled? (you can do it from the menu in the GUI, or I believe one of the options in the CLI).
I hope this is OK?
Before: [boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut

After: [boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptOut
D:\pupldr="Start LICK Boot Loader"
noryb009

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2016, 19:56    Post subject:  

Hey amn87,

I've replicated your setup and am going to investigate more to find the best solution. I will hopefully fix it in the next week or so.

In the mean time, to fix your setup:
0) Install an iso you want in lick.
1) Make boot.ini writable: open command prompt and run:
Code:
attrib -S -H -R C:\boot.ini

2) Edit boot.ini in notepad and change
Quote:

to
Quote:
C:\pupldr="Start LICK Boot Loader"

3) Copy pupldr and lickmenu.lst from D:\ to C:\. (If you install/uninstall an iso, you will have to copy over lickmenu.lst again).
4) Optionally make boot.ini read-only with
Code:
attrib +S +H +R C:\boot.ini
amn87

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2016, 21:13    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
Hey amn87,

I've replicated your setup and am going to investigate more to find the best solution. I will hopefully fix it in the next week or so.

In the mean time, to fix your setup:
0) Install an iso you want in lick.
1) Make boot.ini writable: open command prompt and run:
Code:
attrib -S -H -R C:\boot.ini

2) Edit boot.ini in notepad and change
Quote:

to
Quote:
C:\pupldr="Start LICK Boot Loader"

3) Copy pupldr and lickmenu.lst from D:\ to C:\. (If you install/uninstall an iso, you will have to copy over lickmenu.lst again).
4) Optionally make boot.ini read-only with
Code:
attrib +S +H +R C:\boot.ini
This worked just fine. Thanks a lot. I can now directly boot to a minimal Puppy install without having to hunt for a USB key.
cypher51

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2016, 14:43    Post subject:  

Hey,

Noryb, thanks so much for the lick boot-loader. I have an eeepc 1100 which refuses to boot off of a usb key and because there is no optical drive, I was using Slacko 5.7 which came as a .exe file. But with your boot-loader I was able to upgrade my system to Slacko 6.3.0 32 bit. Lick worked like a charm and it was very, very easy to use. Did I mention that the pc came with Win 7 installed. I'm posting from Slacko now.

Thanks again for your hard work on this as it is greatly appreciated.
noryb009

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr 2016, 16:33    Post subject:  

amn87: I've made changes in lick that should fix the issue completely, and remove the need to copy over lickmenu.lst whenever it changes. It would be greatly appreciated if you could follow the instructions below and let me know how it goes.

0) Make a backup of C:/lickmenu.lst. This file should contain entries for all of your puplets.

1) Open lick 1.0.0b (the one linked to earlier on this page), and go to "file" > "install/uninstall bootloader", and confirm you want to uninstall it.

2) Download 1.0.0c, and go to "file" > "install/uninstall bootloader", and confirm you want to install the bootloader.

3) Move C:/lickmenu.lst to the D drive (overwrite the nearly-empty one with your actual configuration).

If all goes well, I'll make this a new release.

cypher51: Thanks for the feedback. It's encouraging to hear stories like that Smile
amn87

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2016, 13:31    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
amn87: I've made changes in lick that should fix the issue completely, and remove the need to copy over lickmenu.lst whenever it changes. It would be greatly appreciated if you could follow the instructions below and let me know how it goes.

0) Make a backup of C:/lickmenu.lst. This file should contain entries for all of your puplets.

1) Open lick 1.0.0b (the one linked to earlier on this page), and go to "file" > "install/uninstall bootloader", and confirm you want to uninstall it.

2) Download 1.0.0c, and go to "file" > "install/uninstall bootloader", and confirm you want to install the bootloader.

3) Move C:/lickmenu.lst to the D drive (overwrite the nearly-empty one with your actual configuration).

If all goes well, I'll make this a new release.

cypher51: Thanks for the feedback. It's encouraging to hear stories like that Smile
It worked just fine. No problems at all.
noryb009

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2016, 17:34    Post subject:  

That's great to hear. Very Happy

I'll put together a few more changes and make a new release soon.
noryb009

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr 2016, 21:34    Post subject:  

LICK v1.1 has been released. It includes a few fixes, and a new feature.

Most of the changes are to fix when Windows 9x/NT is installed on a different drive than config.sys/boot.ini (thanks to amn87 for submitting this bug report).

It's recommended to upgrade because of the other fix: on v1.0 and before, uninstalling the bootloader from the menu while having puplets installed cause the grub menu to be recreated, loosing the menu entries for those puplets. This has been fixed in v1.1.

A reminder that you do not need to uninstall anything before upgrading, simply install the exe to the same location as your current installation, or unzip the zip file.
Robin2

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr 2016, 10:36    Post subject:  

I have just downloaded V1.1 and it seems to install Tahrpup64 correctly on a new Acer notebook with windows 10. But when I shutdown and restart the computer there is no menu to select Puppy - it just goes straight to Windows.

Has anyone any suggestions before I get really mad and just wipe Windows.

In case it matters, the ACER has a solid state drive and the partitions appear in Puppy (from a USB stick) as mmcblk0pX rather than as sdaX that I was used to on the laptop I am typing this on.

Thanks.

...R
noryb009

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr 2016, 21:15    Post subject:  

Hey Robin2,

I'm going to assume that you have a UEFI bootloader. I'll also assume you know how to access the UEFI bootloader menu, since you could boot a USB.

Somewhere in the menu, you should see "Windows Boot Manager" (like this photo, but only 1). Beside it, you may see "LICK Boot Manager" - if so, what happens when you boot into it? (Note that if this boots puppy, you can likely switch the boot loader order here to resolve your issue. I would appreciate if you could follow the rest of the steps to help figure out how this happened, but it's completely optional)

If you don't see "LICK Boot Manager", or if it doesn't open Puppy, boot back into Windows. Open a command prompt window as an administrator, and run:
Code:
bcdedit /enum all

What is the output of this command?
Page 28 of 31 [451 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: