Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ally

#436 Post by ally »

noryb009

#437 Post by noryb009 »

avatar-man: Your best bet is to look into using DOSBox. If that doesn't work, you can use a Puppy Linux in a Virtual Box.

PenguinPupLin

Just-Lighthouse64 604 can't access tty

#438 Post by PenguinPupLin »

I use LICK in Win10 and WinXP to install puppy linux Just-Lighthouse64 604 but it hangs at loading main file and session file...JL64-604.sfs not found...can't access tty...

I noticed it was trying to search the Lighthouse sfs in usb when that happened, no idea if it has tried searching the harddisk d: drive where I installed the said puppy linux iso on. My boot drive/partition is c: and I've also tried installing it on the said drive/partition but also to no avail.

By the way, both the PCs I worked on are running legacy BIOS , not UEFI, which shouldn't be a problem I thought and, most importantly,I already have other puppy linux versions installed, eg slacko64-6.3.2, tahrpup 6.0.5 CE and Fatdog64-710, all working fine.

Thinking Just-Lighthouse could be incompatible with LICK, also tried the older Lighthouse 64- 6.02 Beta 2 , on both occasions checking md5sum for file integrity just to make sure, but, alas, the same problem occurred - JLH64.sfs not found; can't access tty.

What gives, any advice appreciated. As I'm barely out of the beginner stage in Puppy Linux, I'd be most grateful for a detailed step-by-step description or instruction on how to resolve the problem.

noryb009

#439 Post by noryb009 »

Hey PenguinPupLin,

Sorry about taking a while to get back to you.

In the root of your C drive (maybe a different drive?) there should be a file "lickmenu.lst". Here, you should see a line that looks something like:

Code: Select all

kernel /Lighthouse-version/vmlinuz pfix=fsck psubdir=/Lighthouse-version
Remove the leading slash on psubdir, like so:

kernel /Lighthouse-version/vmlinuz pfix=fsck psubdir=Lighthouse-version
You will need to do this in 2 locations for each time you installed Lighthouse in a different location (each time you see "psubdir=Lighthouse-version").

For a "why" this happened, see this bug report I created. I should get around to fixing this when I have some free time.

Thanks for letting me know about the bug!

PenguinPupLin

Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK

#440 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Yay, that works , you make my day, noryb009. Thank you so much.

Puppy Linux rocks even more, thanks to norby's LICK.

jacek

Neeb needs help with Lick 1.1 on XP

#441 Post by jacek »

Like I said above, I get error 15 "file not found" every time trying to run Slacko 6.3.2 on old laptop with XP using Lick 1.1.

Slacko 6.3.2 boot CD works fine, but takes a long time.

This is what I did so far:
1. Backed-up the hard drive with XP OS. Success!
2. Googled for puppy linux and understood Slacko 6.3.2 is the newest version. I downloaded the 32bit version of ISO file.
3. Found some instructions stating Lick is the best for double boot. I downloaded Lick 1.1.
4. Ran Lick 1.1 in windows and pointed to the ISO file (took a while to unpack files).
5. Rebooted the PC (many times). Windows works, Slacko doesn't.

I get this "error 15: (http://grub4dos.chenall.net/e/15) file not found"

when I go to that link I get: 404 "/e/15" not found in this site

Should I uninstall the Lick 1.1?
Anyone please?

EDIT: never mind, I figured it out, see below.
Last edited by jacek on Sun 26 Mar 2017, 16:12, edited 1 time in total.

jacek

#442 Post by jacek »

davids45 wrote: The directory Puppy431 in C: contains:
initrd.gz
pup-431.sfs
readme.txt
uninst.exe
vmlinuz
zp430305.sfs
thanks for listing this directory. it made me realize Lick 1.1 never put that directory on the hard drive (later I realized it put it in the flash drive I was using and it was me who pointed to that in the Lick, I misunderstood the instructions). I manually made the directory for Slacko and copied all the files from live Slacko CD.

It boots now. I still don't like the Slacko interface, even though it's functional alright. Will try Mint KDE next.

Well, no go on installing Mint via Lick. i got this: "lick-fltk.exe encountered a problem and needs to close." Is lick not compatible with Mint?

noryb009

#443 Post by noryb009 »

Hi jacek, it's great that you found out your problem! I'll keep that in mind - I agree it's not clear what you are installing slacko on, and the implications of that decision (namely, that the drive needs to be available on boot). I'll keep this in mind if/when I redesign the interface.

You installing it to your USB also explains why the install took so long - installing normally takes a few seconds, if installing to an internal drive.

Other distributions, such as Mint, are unfortunately not supported at the moment. Adding support for other distributions is also on my list of things to look at, when I get the time.

Christian72D

UEFI problem

#444 Post by Christian72D »

I just installed it on an ASUS Z97-A Board with UEFI/Secure Boot.

I wanted to follow your documentation here: https://github.com/noryb009/lick, but the menu is completly different.

Is there a newer doc?

noryb009

#445 Post by noryb009 »

Hi,

I updated the doc for a release that should be out some time in the next week. You can view the old readme here.

noryb009

LICK v1.2 released

#446 Post by noryb009 »

LICK v1.2 has just been published. You can download it from here.

You can update by installing the new LICK exe file without uninstalling the old LICK, or by unzipping the zip file and deleting the unzipped directory of the old LICK.

Most of the changes deal with updating libraries and adds support some systems where v1.1 didn't work. If v1.1 works fine for you, you don't need to update.

Special thanks for Wognath for his help in testing this release!

Wognath

#447 Post by Wognath »

Congratulations on the release of Lick 1.2.

On my HP notebook, previous versions could not replace Windows as the#1 boot priority. It was necessary to interrupt the bootup and manually choose boot device from the Boot Option Menu. Lick 1.2's new Help/Nothing happens on reboot feature fixes this. :D After the fix is applied, it boots to grub menu without intervention.

Is there any way of directing the Lick loader to a lickgrub.cfg file in a custom location? If not, please consider this a feature request!

Thanks.

noryb009

#448 Post by noryb009 »

Hi,

You can move C:/lickgrub.cfg to any drive, as long as it is in the root directory. Alternatively, you can replace everything in lickgrub.cfg with this, or something similar:

search --set=root --file /path/to/mygrub.cfg
configfile ($root)/path/to/mygrub.cfg
Note that lick will complain while installing or uninstalling distros, so move it back before doing anything in lick.

Long-term, I have made an issue.

Limbomusic

background

#449 Post by Limbomusic »

Is it possible to have a background-image for the lick/boot-grub-menu?

I tried editing the lickgrub.cfg with:
background_image /yeah.png
but it doesnt work.

Huge thanx for making LICK - its awesome :-)

noryb009

#450 Post by noryb009 »

I was able to get background_image working:

* Download grub2 for windows. Grab the unicode.pf2 file and place it in C:/.
* Make sure your background is also in C:/.
* Edit lickgrub.cfg. Right after set timeout and set delay, there should be a block of video/gfx stuff. Comment that out, and add:

insmod all_video
if loadfont /unicode.pf2 ; then
  set gfxmode=auto
  set gfxpayload=keep
  terminal_output gfxterm
  insmod png
fi

Limbomusic

thanx

#451 Post by Limbomusic »

Thank YOU ! Worked like a charm :-)

I also put some colors on the text. This is the top of my lickgrub.cfg

## start header
insmod part_gpt
insmod part_msdos
insmod ntfs
set color_normal=green/black
set color_highlight=yellow/black
set timeout=5
set default=0

insmod all_video 
if loadfont /unicode.pf2 ; then 
  set gfxmode=auto 
  set gfxpayload=keep 
  terminal_output gfxterm 
  insmod png 
fi
I mirrored the unicode.pf2 file here
Hugs and kisses noryb009 :-)

-edit-
Oh and if problems editing lickgrub.cfg directly from C: - just copy it somewhere else - edit it - and copy it back/replace.

jamesbond

#452 Post by jamesbond »

noryb009 - would you mind if I include LICK in the Fatdog ISO? This will include the installer binary, certain doc files (README and few others), plus link back to github as well as this thread.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

noryb009

#453 Post by noryb009 »

jamesbond: For sure, go ahead!

I created this issue, which might be useful in this scenario. Feel free to make other issues, if you think they might be helpful.

jamesbond

#454 Post by jamesbond »

Thank you noryb009. Yes that is useful - I will comment more on github.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

hamoudoudou

Information should be given to Windows users,

#455 Post by hamoudoudou »

Information should be given to Windows users, not only on Linux VIP sites. It's a tool for people with no Puppy Linux yet installed, isn'it ?
Slacko (5.3.3 ?) has yet a version .exe to be installed using Windows.