Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 20 Sep 2019, 09:55
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Puppy Linux Windows Installer - LICK v1.3.3 released
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 37 of 37 [555 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 35, 36, 37
noryb009

PostPosted: Sat 25 May 2019, 15:55    Post subject:  

There's a few things in your post which are odd to me, let's figure out those first so I can help you set the default.

1) You mention you have Windows XP, but your lickgrub.cfg file seems to be set up for a newer Windows bootloader. Are you sure LICK generated this file?

2) Is that your entire lickgrub.cfg file?

3) When you boot, which menu(s) do you see, and in which order? You might see a grub4dos one, a grub2 one, an XP style boot menu, or a newer Windows boot loader.
d4rkn1ght

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2019, 00:15    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
There's a few things in your post which are odd to me, let's figure out those first so I can help you set the default.

1) You mention you have Windows XP, but your lickgrub.cfg file seems to be set up for a newer Windows bootloader. Are you sure LICK generated this file?

I used LICK-1.3.3-win32.

noryb009 wrote:
2) Is that your entire lickgrub.cfg file?

Yes, It was in C:/Program Files/lick/res/lickgrub.cfg

noryb009 wrote:
3) When you boot, which menu(s) do you see, and in which order? You might see a grub4dos one, a grub2 one, an XP style boot menu, or a newer Windows boot loader.

I have the XP style menu.
noryb009

PostPosted: Sun 26 May 2019, 21:16    Post subject:  

First, in the future, please be careful following instructions in posts, and if you deviate from the instructions, please note how in your post. In this case, I specifically asked about "C:/lickgrub.cfg" because it has a very different purpose than "C:/Program Files/lick/res/lickgrub.cfg".

For your case, note that doing this may cause some issues if you ever decide to uninstall LICK's bootloader. If you decide to uninstall the bootloader, please refollow these steps and reset the default entry to Windows. (There shouldn't be any issue if you forget, but it's better to be safe)

Open up Windows. In the start menu, go to "run". Type in "msconfig". Go to the "boot.ini" tab. Select the LICK entry, then click on "set as default".
d4rkn1ght

PostPosted: Mon 27 May 2019, 13:05    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
First, in the future, please be careful following instructions in posts, and if you deviate from the instructions, please note how in your post. In this case, I specifically asked about "C:/lickgrub.cfg" because it has a very different purpose than "C:/Program Files/lick/res/lickgrub.cfg".

Sorry about that. Embarassed I've just been working long hours lately and I'm a bit sleep deprived.

noryb009 wrote:
For your case, note that doing this may cause some issues if you ever decide to uninstall LICK's bootloader. If you decide to uninstall the bootloader, please refollow these steps and reset the default entry to Windows. (There shouldn't be any issue if you forget, but it's better to be safe)

Noted! I'll be saving this post just in case.

noryb009 wrote:
Open up Windows. In the start menu, go to "run". Type in "msconfig". Go to the "boot.ini" tab. Select the LICK entry, then click on "set as default".

Thank you! That's what I wanted! Very Happy
GusCE6

PostPosted: Thu 08 Aug 2019, 14:50    Post subject:  

I've used LICK on the 2012 Windows 8 ASUS, 2001 Sony VAIO XP Home Edition, and the early 2000s XP Home Edition Dell.

It has given new life to those two antiques, especially for safe online activity (Puppy Linux 5.2.5 Lucid).

However, be aware that certain distros of Puppy Linux may not work on certain computers. For example, Lucid will not properly install on the ASUS with LICK.
okkebasin

PostPosted: Fri 06 Sep 2019, 17:15    Post subject: Installing to SD card  

Hi,

I have a Prowise Proline Win 10 notebook (specs) on which I try to get some Linux distro to run from the uilt-in SD card reader.
Sofar I did not manage to boot from SD cards prepared by RUFUS, the bootable SD does not show up in UEFI.
I then discovered LICK (using 1.3.3) which worked like charm for some old USB flashdrive lying around.
LICK installs to SD without any problem, but when trying to load one of the SD installations (sofar FatDog64 and BionicPuppy64), I end up with a black screen. After a while (5 minutes??) I'm returned back to the bootmenu.

Any help on this would be highly appreciated Smile
noryb009

PostPosted: Sat 07 Sep 2019, 11:58    Post subject:  

Hi okkebasin,

Do you get to the UEFI boot menu, or the grub boot menu?

If you only get to the UEFI boot menu, where is LICK installed? If it's on the SD card, you might need to move it to an internal partition or USB drive, then have puppy on an SD card.

If you get to the grub boot menu but can't get further, you can try adding some of these options to the kernel line of an entry (you can edit them before booting them). Notably, waitdev or nomodeset may help.
okkebasin

PostPosted: Sat 07 Sep 2019, 18:27    Post subject:  

Many thx for your quick reply and great software noryb009!

I'm getting to the GRUB menu, and have no problems running the LICK installed USB versions of puppy.

Adding parameters to the SD entries didn't help, but gave new clues. It appeared that grub never passes the "search" line (for example "search --set=root --file /bionicpup64-8.0-SD16/vmlinuz").

I then poked around in GRUB a bit and found a list of devices which I cannot traceback all, being: (hd0) (hd0,msdos1) (hd1) (hd1,gpt4) (hd1,gpt3) (hd1,gpt2) (hd1,gpt1) (hd2) (hd3).
Ejecting the present USB lead to disappearance of (hd3), however, ejecting the SD card did not make any difference in the list (after rebooting without).

This makes me conclude that the SD card is not seen, is that a correct conclusion? Are there better ways to check this? And more important, is there a way to make the SD card visible to GRUB?

Ciao,

Annemarie
noryb009

PostPosted: Sat 07 Sep 2019, 20:45    Post subject:  

If grub can't find something, it returns an error saying that the file can't be found. It might be hanging, waiting for a partition to become ready to be searched.

To check which partition is which, just ls them (the trailing slash gives you file names, without the slash you get info about the partition):
Code:
ls (hd1,gpt2)/

You can see if looking at any of those partitions hang, and if any of them are your SD card.

I believe I compiled grub for lick with all modules bundled in, so I don't believe there is a way to have grub load a puppy directly from the SD card.

However, you might be able to move vmlinuz and initrd.gz onto a separate drive (either an internal partition or a USB drive), update the paths in grub's config (C:/lickgrub.cfg) to point to the new location (except for the psubdir parameter, which is how vmlinuz finds the root sfs file).
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 03:37    Post subject:  

@noryb009 and Linpuppers,

A story from the archives ...

When I was first using Puppy, before version one even, I was planning to leave ye monolith/microtheft/macrosith and Widows XP. However I would praise XP as the best XPierience available for those through ignorance, familiarity or other reasons not able to be fully penguin. Not every Puppy liked that.

I have not had to use Windows for years. Praise Allah, Buddha and Thor.

I am very familiar with Puppy and Monocorps. I prefer to be a dawg/lone bitch/independent penguin ...

That being said. We welcome all churches: Androidians, Jobbers, the unprogrammed, bloatware penguins, anorexic fiends etc.

Thank you for the LICKs

We are Puppy
Welcome to our Kennel

FONZACUS

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 04:07    Post subject: huge kudos
Subject description: for making magic

its fun testing out a few puppies before actually installing one. im a 30 yo gamer, doubt i can escape from gaming and windows. i feel swap files are easier than partitions and installing puppy as its own folder/files is a win IMHO. currently in search to remove my debian testing partition since win10 is pooping all over the place (needs more space). with lick it makes the process much easier since if i do find a pup i like, i can just keep it with a savfile and stuff.

is it possible to request another tool that can rw an sfs? and possibly filling in all the unused *drvsfs as 'additional user sfs'?
okkebasin

PostPosted: Sun 08 Sep 2019, 07:09    Post subject:  

A bit more clarity, the solution seems even further however.

Indeed the SD card is not seen by GRUB. It searches any of the known partitions, however when it comes to the "empty ones" (hd2) and (hd3) in the above, thus without partition information, GRUB hangs. Performing an ls on these also makes GRUB hang. This means that no error information comes through...

I did try a LICK installation to the HD, when starting this session, I get an error message that the directory cannot be found.
The same accounts when puting vmlinx and initrd.gz to the HD and having the rest on the SD.

Due to my limited knowledge, I did not manage to write the debug information to file or to find any other usefull log information.
For what it's worth, the install that is on the USB works flawless.
noryb009

PostPosted: Mon 09 Sep 2019, 22:05    Post subject:  

Quote:
is it possible to request another tool that can rw an sfs?

That's beyond my skill set. I only manage LICK, it's the rest of the community that does all the heavy lifting. I don't know the correct place to ask for that.

okkebasin: If you're in the USB version of puppy, can you see whatever is on the SD card? If so, you might be able to remake the initrd with whatever driver the SD card uses, which would allow you to have the initrd and vmlinuz on the hard disk/USB, and the rest on the SD card. I can't find a puppy-specific guide from a quick google search, so it might be a bit tricky to make it.
mikeslr

PostPosted: Tue 10 Sep 2019, 09:29    Post subject:  

Hi okkebasin,

noryb009 is too modest. But there are already several tools for 'rewriting' a Puppy.sfs. They go under the term 'remaster'. I think nic007 recently published the newest version specifically for just remastering the an SFS. But I haven't used it. I have, however, used his remaster-suite, and shinobar's remasterx. You should also be aware that built into every Puppy is a tool clearly named 'remove builtins'; and there's a tool called gnewpet, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=598673#598673, which will create an installable pet from the files of a builtin or user installed application so that you can re-use, or modify then re-use that application in a different Puppy or a remastered version.

But as you're new to 'remastering' and doing so is beyond the scope of this thread, I suggest that you ask about it in the "Users (For the Regulars) Section" of the Forum -- specifying the Puppy you want to work on and you plans for changing it.
foxpup

PostPosted: Wed 11 Sep 2019, 09:22    Post subject:  

noryb009 wrote:
FONZACUS wrote:
is it possible to request another tool that can rw an sfs?

That's beyond my skill set. I only manage LICK, it's the rest of the community that does all the heavy lifting. I don't know the correct place to ask for that.

.sfs is read-only. Smile

You have to use commands unsquashfs and mksquashfs to unsquash an sfs-file to a directory and to squash a directory to an sfs-file resp.
Documentation on the internet and with --help in the terminal.
Page 37 of 37 [555 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 35, 36, 37
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: