gEread and then some

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
ariel

gEread and then some

#1 Post by ariel »

This package installs three small scripts that can read a txt file with espeak + mbrola voices in Rox. If you are new to espeak have a look at these links:

here and here

Each script is useful in its own right and does a different task.

1- ereadfile allows to read a txt file right-clicking on it and selecting the corresponding entry in the menu.
You can manually link the script located in /usr/bin to the desktop. In this way you can drag and drop a file that will be immediatly read aloud.

2- ereadclipboard allows to read the text contained in the clipboard. You can select a text from an application and listen to it. Nice when you are browsing the internet and want to listen to an article in the meantime. Still better if you link the script to the desktop and assign a keyboard shortcut to it ; then you can easily let your computer read something while you are drinking a beer :) Just select and press the key you have chosen; or select and click on the icon of ereadclipboard on your desktop. Also works with epdfview, the standard viewer for pdf files in puppy.

3- ereadfile2mp3 allows to convert a txt file into mp3 right-clicking on it.

Note that the scripts lack icons. You can manually add the one I have put in /usr/share/mini-icons/lips.png if you like.

To change the language edit the scripts with a text editor (e.g. mb-en1 could be turned into mb-fr2, mb-it3, etc and en1 into fr1, it4, etc.) and don't forget to put your mbrola voice in /usr/share/mbrola. If it happens that you want to stop the reading of a long file you can do it with Pprocess by cancelling the 'aplay' process ;)

To use these scripts you must have installed at least one mbrola voice and espeak. If you are hassled by the search just download this package with all the needed stuff here.

Tested on puppy 4.x and 5.x lupu.

************** *********** ************* *********** ************** *********** ************* *********** ************** *********** ************* *********** ************** *********** ************* *********** ************** *********** ************* ***********

gEread is a gtkdialog3 gui for puppy linux to read txt and html files with a synthetic voice by using espeak engine and mbrola voices. The program can also convert a file into an audio file with ogg, mp3 or flac encoding by using ffmpeg and has drag-n-drop capability.

Basically it does the same things of eread (see links at the top of the page) but with some more functions, such as to pause during the reading of a file and conveniently browse directories.

The program has been developed with Wary 5.0 but should work with other versions of puppy. Just keep in mind that you must have in your pup gtkdialog3, ffmpeg, espeak and at least one mbrola voice.

------------------
Changelog

v.0.5

-changed ffmpeg dependency with avconv for flac and ogg conversions, and lame for mp3 conversions

-this version works with puppy tahr

v. 0.4
- read clipboard content added
*To read the content of the clipboard you must leave the file selection blank.
*To put a text in the clipboard just highlight the area of text (no need of CTRL+C. That's the linux way ;) )
- an icon path has been fixed. it didn't show correctly in some puppy versions.
- tested with 4.3.1 and slako 5.3.1. It should work with many other puppy versions. With racy 5.3 you have to start the application from a terminal otherwise pause, backwards and forwards do not work. It's a tricky issue and I think it's related to this problem raised by vovchik and up until now I haven't seen a reply to this kind of issues. It has to do with the way jobs are managed by the OS and not all puppy OSs run in same way at a low level.

v. 0.3
- buttons to skip backwards and forwards while reading added
- choice on how much to skip of the file
- mark on the last skipped line
- minor bugs fixed

tested with wary 5.0, lupu 5.2, slacko 5.3
Attachments
geread-0.5.pet
(16.54 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
geread-0.3-screenshot.jpg
(40 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
geread-0.4.pet
Package with GUI program
(16.82 KiB) Downloaded 474 times
ereadfile-screenshot.jpg
(44.53 KiB) Downloaded 1674 times
ereadfile-0.1.pet
Package for the right-click options
(1.75 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
Last edited by ariel on Mon 24 Oct 2016, 19:21, edited 12 times in total.

abushcrafter

#2 Post by abushcrafter »

I have done a lot of work based on your work: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=508817.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

ariel

gEread - GUI for espeak + mbrola voices

#3 Post by ariel »

gEread is a gtkdialog3 GUI for espeak, a multilingual Text To Speech engine. for the details see first post.

ariel

gEread v.0.3

#4 Post by ariel »

new version. now you can skip backwards and forwards while reading a file with espeak :wink:
Last edited by ariel on Wed 06 Jun 2012, 18:56, edited 1 time in total.

ariel

#5 Post by ariel »

gEread v0.4 is out

-reading text from the clipboard added. see first post.

If you are looking for a version of espeak and en1 voice already packaged follow the link above. I've been testing the torrent for sharing the ready-made package with mbrola voice en1 + espeakedit+espeak. This version of espeak is not up-to-date but works with all versions of puppy I've tested.

[edit]

I've some problems with opening the port that transmission uses for sharing files. I've manually opened it but it seems my modem is preventing transmission to connect to the tracker. It will take some time before I can share the espeak budle with torrent :x

(Thanks Flash for allowing me to move the post. but while I'm at it, where did you get that grinning muzzle from ?)

ariel

espeak+espeakedit+en1 bundle

#6 Post by ariel »

I've managed to open the riotous port. now I can share the pet package which include

espeak
espeakedit
mbrola voice en1

just download and install it along with gEread. everything should work out of the box.

here attached you'll find the torrent file that should be used with transmission or any other p2p applications. If this test will succeed I'll be sharing other packages with p2p

-------------------------------------------
Edit

as I have still some problems to seed I've uploaded the files here and in the download section of my website here
Attachments
espeak_espeakedit_mbrola-1.42.04.pet.torrent.tar.gz
torrent
(13.17 KiB) Downloaded 415 times

ariel

gEread TTS GUI program

#7 Post by ariel »

Hello,

I've uploaded gEread 0.5, a new version of my TTS GUI program. The download is in the first post of this thread :P
:arrow: [url=https://lab2000-linux.homepc.it]lab2000-linux.homepc.it[/url]

Pelo

gEread installed in my Slaxen

#8 Post by Pelo »

gEread installed in my Slaxen., installed with Grub4Dos in a 4GB pendrive.
How to install a Puppy , search the forum for help. Good luck !
Why a TTS usefull for foreigners ? to improve their accent, because listening English is a way for huge progress.
I am in a City where hundred of UK citizens live. When they do shopping, most of them are unable to explain in French what they need. .
Some existing tools : reverso, and precord (MP3) open tar.gz joined
Attachments
reverso.tar.gz
Resverso will speak expressions. texts less than 180 k
(34.79 KiB) Downloaded 138 times
paroles.jpg
(49.41 KiB) Downloaded 117 times