slow shutdown

Booting, installing, newbie
okosanto

slow shutdown

#1 Post by okosanto »

Hi,

I'm new to puppy and amazed at its speed... at boot, that is! When I power off the pc, puppy takes a long time (1-2 minutes, I believe) to shutdown (saying its saving the pupfile, I believe). What causes this, and is there any way to speed this up?

Sylvander

#2 Post by Sylvander »

(a) If the pupsave file is held [in a folder in the root of a partition?] on the internal HDD...
Then changes to the session are saved back to the pupsave AT THE MOMENT THE CHANGES TAKE PLACE...
So that as a result, shut-down is very fast, because there is no saving to be done at shut-down.
And individual saves [of each small change] during the session are small/fast and unseen.

(b) Also...
Because the pupsave is on an internal HDD [FASTER THAN FLASH]...
The saves made during the session are fast [not that you know/see that].

2. If the pupsave is held [in a partition] on a USB Flash Drive...
(a) You might change the default configuration setting for the save interval from 30-min to zero-min so there is no auto-save, but you can choose if/when to manually save by clicking the "SAVE" icon.
And also...
(b) Make the necessary code changes so that you are given the choice of whether "to save or not to save" at shut-down [to reboot?]

3. If you don't do as suggested in 2 above...
[And the pupsave is on a Flash Drive]
It will by default, auto-save every 30-min...
And also at shut-down...
And because Flash Drives are slower than internal HDD's...
Those saves will take much longer than the unseen saves to a HDD...
And very visibly, take a relatively long time to complete, and slow the actions of the PC during that activity.

okosanto

#3 Post by okosanto »

Thank you for the reply.

My pupfile is indeed stored on a usb flash drive, because I like to carry it with me so I can use it on different computers from my own.

The auto-saves while puppy is running, don't take that much time, so I don't mind them at all. Only at shutdown, saving the session takes a very long time. What causes the difference?

Sylvander

#4 Post by Sylvander »

1. "What causes the difference?"
Don't know, I'm no expert.
You could apply 2b above so as to be given the choice...
And at shut down, not save; then the Puppy would close REALLY FAST.
Instead you could manually save just before you shut-down, and keep working whilst that is happening, and only shut down when the manual save has finished.

tlchost

#5 Post by tlchost »

okosanto wrote:
The auto-saves while puppy is running, don't take that much time, so I don't mind them at all. Only at shutdown, saving the session takes a very long time. What causes the difference?
It may be the write access time of the device....many usb drives are very slow to write...others are much faster.

I use cruzr drives, and OCZ and they are fairly fast....

You might want to disable the autosave,,,as usb drives have a finite number of saves...so the autosaves actually diminish drive life.

Thom

Shep

Re: slow shutdown

#6 Post by Shep »

okosanto wrote:Hi,

I'm new to puppy and amazed at its speed... at boot, that is! When I power off the pc, puppy takes a long time (1-2 minutes, I believe) to shutdown (saying its saving the pupfile, I believe). What causes this, and is there any way to speed this up?
How big is your pupsave file?