How much does a router enhance the security?

For discussions about security.
RolfBa

How much does a router enhance the security?

#1 Post by RolfBa »

Friends,

Router

I have found a lot of useful information already so thank you very much for the contribution.

If you have a router between yourself and your computers, how much does this increase the security? I have been told that the router would not respond to hacker commands since it is not a computer at all. Thus it would be impossible to reach any computer behind the router.

How true is that?

SDHC

It is obviously possible to install Puppy to SDHC and then set it to read-only so no harm could be done to it.

I suppose you can also use to store files just in general and have Puppy boot from a CD?

I would find it a bit simpler to store the files I need to upload to my hosting account, then set it to read only and hook up using SFTP.

Good idea?

Windows and Linux partitions.

There are programs for Windows making it possible to access Linux partitions.

If I store some files on a Linux partition using these programs and my Windows partition gets infected, will it spread to the Linux partition as well?

Would it be harder for a hacker to get access to the Linux partition when the computer is running Windows than a Windows partition?

I would be very pleased to hear from you!

Best wishes

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

Rolf, please split this up into separate posts so each question has its own thread. The forum works better that way. :)