Browsers, email, chat, etc.
scabz

Facebook chat for Pidgin

#1 Post by scabz »

EDit- Updated to Pidgin-Facebook chat ver.1.67
plus json-glib ver. 0.7.6

tested in 431
Must have Pidgin 2.6.5 or newer already installed
Last edited by scabz on Wed 23 Jun 2010, 19:40, edited 1 time in total.

Subito Piano

#2 Post by Subito Piano »

Hi -- using Puppy 4.2 -- was able to get Pidgin 2.5.4 working. I downloaded your facebook-chat pet and ran it but after restart, Pidgin does not give me the option of adding a facebook chat account. Do i have to move something somewhere? Do i have a wrong version?

Thanks for any insight.

Makoto

#3 Post by Makoto »

You don't need the Facebook chat plugins, anymore. Facebook has switched to using XMPP, I believe (I say that, because I don't know if they were using it before, in part), so now, you can use it natively in Pidgin.

For the necessary settings, look at the first post referenced at planet.pidgin.im.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Subito Piano

#4 Post by Subito Piano »

strange - those settings won't work for me (Pidgin 2.4.5) -- idk why, all is set correctly.

scabz

#5 Post by scabz »

you need a newer version of Pidgin 2.6.5
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 25&t=27199

thoase

#6 Post by thoase »

Why don't you try eBuddy, http://www.ebuddy.com?

Quotes from website:
Welcome to eBuddy, your online messenger for MSN, Yahoo, Gtalk, Facebook, ICQ, MySpace and AIM (AOL). Whether you're at home, school, work or traveling; with eBuddy you can chat online everywhere anytime. eBuddy is available as a web based and mobile version.

eBuddy provides instant messaging on every computer, it even works when you are behind a firewall! eBuddy means no downloads, no installation of software or upgrades and no registration. Best of all it's free .. enjoy :-)

Subito Piano

#7 Post by Subito Piano »

hmm - i downloaded it (version 2.6.5) and also copied the purple-2 folder into /lib -- terminal says
pidgin: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libpurple.so.0: undefined symbol: g_strcmp
Any thoughts? (Remember, i am trying this with Puppy 4.2)

Thanks for the idea, thoase, but it's a just a personal preference thing; i'm not a fan of meebo, and ebuddy is a similar kind of setup.

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Subito Piano wrote:hmm - i downloaded it (version 2.6.5) and also copied the purple-2 folder into /lib
Why did you copy the folder?

The problem is, though, Wolf Pup's version of Pidgin 2.6.5 in the post scabz linked to only works on Puppy 4.3/.1, or any of the derivatives based on 4.3/4.3.1.

There was a page that had a .pet for 2.6.4 or so (latest is 2.6.6, actually, but nobody's tried creating a .pet for it) that would work under 4.2 (I had been using it under Puppy 4.2.1), but it's down at the moment (the website claims to be 'under construction').
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Subito Piano

#9 Post by Subito Piano »

Why did you copy the folder?
HA! Ignorance! :P Just trying to follow instructions earlier in this thread about copying libraries from /usr/share/lib to /lib.

scabz

#10 Post by scabz »

Updated to ver.1.67

Makoto

#11 Post by Makoto »

...but, why? Just use Facebook's XMPP chat method. That way, you don't need a third-party plugin.

Subito Piano

#12 Post by Subito Piano »

I don't wanna use that method. I'm one of those ppl that hate FB but use it -- i don't wanna register into that facebook.myname.whatever stuff -- FB is anti-privacy to say the least and i'm trying to keep a low profile on it, just my friends. I'm not doing anything weird, i just loathe the day i apply for a new job and somebody lloks me up on facebook and gets all the wrong impression.

A political campaign not far from here took fb photos of the opposition candidate's page, cropped them, and tried to make him look like a jerk. I use FB mainly because so many ppl don't use regular IM and email -- and this way my students can easily contact me if they need questions answered about papers due, etc. I want everyone else out, and i figger every little bit helps.

Soo - i for one was very glad to use this plugin!

mama21mama

#13 Post by mama21mama »

gracias

puppyluvr

#14 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,

@Subito Piano..
FB isnt just "privacy insecure" but is funded mostly by data collection agencies.. I only got one because of my teenage daughters...Now, everyone has one...Scary really, considering the collective database it must represent!!

Now, to be a hypocrite...LOL..
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=105376249522117

My Puppy Linux Users Group FB page...
Post a screenshot!!!

:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Do not go to the ebuddy site on a machine with windoze on it....
Trust me....
:!: :!: :!: :!: :!: :!:
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...

wildsage2

Puppy 5.1

#15 Post by wildsage2 »

Makoto wrote:...but, why? Just use Facebook's XMPP chat method. That way, you don't need a third-party plugin.
I have a weird experience. I seem unable to download Puppy Lucid's version of Pidgin. I get an error at every server. And I can't get the Linux Portable apps version to work. So it was suggested to me to get the new version 7 for Windows running it through Wine.

This worked perfectly for Yahoo, MSN, but when it came to using the XMPP method for Facebook, it seems that the Jabber server is European, so I couldn't connect, nor could I alter it to the North American domain.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Christopher
[quote]Teach your tongue to say ‘I do not know’ and you will progress.[/quote]

[b]Maimonides[/b]

wildsage2

Re: Puppy 5.1

#16 Post by wildsage2 »

wildsage2 wrote:
Makoto wrote:...but, why? Just use Facebook's XMPP chat method. That way, you don't need a third-party plugin.
I have a weird experience. I seem unable to download Puppy Lucid's version of Pidgin. I get an error at every server. And I can't get the Linux Portable apps version to work. So it was suggested to me to get the new version 7 for Windows running it through Wine.

This worked perfectly for Yahoo, MSN, but when it came to using the XMPP method for Facebook, it seems that the Jabber server is European, so I couldn't connect, nor could I alter it to the North American domain.

Any thoughts?

Sincerely,
Christopher
SOLVED - I went (for the first time) on the IRC Puppy dedicated chat room and within minutes someone (missed the name) supplied me with a true PET version of the new version referred to above, and it all worked perfectly. I believe the package is from developer Iguleder, but I am writing from a different computer. I'll post if I found out for certain.
[quote]Teach your tongue to say ‘I do not know’ and you will progress.[/quote]

[b]Maimonides[/b]