Epson printer utilities

Core libraries and systems
mikeb

Epson printer utilities

#1 Post by mikeb »

If you are using CUPS and have an Epson printer there is normally included escputil which can be used to do various maintenance tasks

I put together a simple GUI for it as anything on the net is rediculously complicated and seems to need python.
Simply drop into /usr/bin and run as convenient.
I've included a purge jobs button for those moments when you send 500 incorrect print jobs out and the cups interface refuses to let you cancel :D

This is hardcoded for usb (the majority now :( ) but alter the /dev/usb/lp0 line to suit...

mike
Attachments
escp_gui.tar.gz
(493 Bytes) Downloaded 1120 times
Last edited by mikeb on Sat 16 Feb 2008, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.

jcagle

#2 Post by jcagle »

Thank you so much for this tool! I didn't even realize there were Linux utilities for Epson printers, actually. I got my Epson Stylus CX4600 for free actually. This GUI helps a lot.

I didn't really know how to check the ink levels before, either, if there was a way. I knew you could in Windows.

mikeb

#3 Post by mikeb »

I didn't even realize there were Linux utilities for Epson printers,
nor did I. :oops: .got frustrated having to go to windows just to clean heads etc

mike

miriam

#4 Post by miriam »

Once again, mikeb, I'm in your debt. Thank you. I'll install this on Mum's machine when I next visit.
[color=blue]A life! Cool! Where can I download one of those from?[/color]

mikeb

#5 Post by mikeb »

I have tidied up the ink level display ,
the download has been updated..

I figured it was too simple to warrent a version number :D

Mike

jockjunior

#6 Post by jockjunior »

Thanks Mikeb,
you came to my rescue with this one. I too didn't realise epscutil was included. The Missus needed a recipe and the printer heads were gummed up (my fault of course).

cheers

Jock

technowomble

escputil in Puppy 5.1.1

#7 Post by technowomble »

I've just set up escp_util in Puppy 5.1.1, I had to sort a couple of bugs, the most serious of which was that the installing my printer ( Epson Stylus Photo R265 ) using Cups 1.4.3 did not install escputil! Fortunately I'd re-mastered an earlier Puppy using this printer so I was able to lift the escputil from that. Secondly, when I couldn't get a response using mikeb's GUI I took a look and saw that the code for checking the ink level was < -iur /dev/usb/lp0 > when according to the man page it should be < -i -r /dev/usb/lp0 >. Changing that gave me the ink readout, so I made the same change for the other two options.
Since it has obviously worked for other users I'm rather at a loss to explain what happened, except to say that the escputil I lifted came from a 4.2.1 install. If Cups is no longer installing escputil with any Epson drivers mikeb might want to add a pet of it?