DRM fix pet for tv streaming sites using DRM

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
peebee

DRM fix pet for tv streaming sites using DRM

#1 Post by peebee »

Version 3.0.2 pet added 20-jan-2016

Variable results - see below

Some tv catchup / viewing websites fail to work on Linux because of DRM (Digital Rights Management) issues.

The attached pet is a fix for systems without Hal (Hardware Abstraction Level) to fool Flashplayer into thinking that Hal is present.

see later for where it works....or not

Does not work for PepperFlash + Chromium. :cry:

If it works for you (or doesn't) post a report.

Cheers
PeeBee
Attachments
hal-flash-master-0.3.2-i486-1.pet
(16.64 KiB) Downloaded 286 times
hal-flash-0.3.0-i486-1.pet
(16.6 KiB) Downloaded 1005 times
Last edited by peebee on Thu 21 Jan 2016, 07:08, edited 4 times in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

666philb

#2 Post by 666philb »

working here on 4od

thanks
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

peebee

#3 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:working here on 4od

thanks
hi 666philb

When you say "working" - does it still work after you have closed down the browser and done a reboot??

It works just the first time for me and then I get drm 3321 errors on subsequent tries.

Can you detail which combination of puppy version, browser type & version and flashplayer version you are using.

Many thanks
peebee
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

666philb

#4 Post by 666philb »

hi peebee,

yes it's working after a reboot on tahrpup-5.8.4, palemoon and latest flash.
live streaming isn't working for me, i get a message saying i haven't got enough bandwidth which isn't true. but all other stuff works ..... adblock even works again on it :)
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

peebee

#5 Post by peebee »

666philb wrote:hi peebee,

yes it's working after a reboot on tahrpup-5.8.4, palemoon and latest flash.
live streaming isn't working for me, i get a message saying i haven't got enough bandwidth which isn't true. but all other stuff works ..... adblock even works again on it :)
Thanks 66philb

I'm somewhat flummoxed.....(technical term)

You're right, on both TahrPup5.8.4 and Slacko5.9.3 the 4od catchup service works OK.

For some reason (TBD) on LxPup or LxPupTahr14.10 it doesn't work after a reboot.

Live Channel 4 works on my laptop but gives the "Not enough bandwidth" error message on my desktop....

ozsouth

Works in Slacko

#6 Post by ozsouth »

Peebee, you're a genius. I spent days trying all sorts of 'fixes', but this is it. Works in Slacko 5.7.0 with Firefox 31.2.0 esr, with all Melbourne (Australia) TV catchup stations.

peebee

Re: Works in Slacko

#7 Post by peebee »

ozsouth wrote:Peebee, you're a genius. I spent days trying all sorts of 'fixes', but this is it. Works in Slacko 5.7.0 with Firefox 31.2.0 esr, with all Melbourne (Australia) TV catchup stations.
"Chris Horler" is the genius - I just found it and puppyfied it.... :oops:

bark_bark_bark

Re: Works in Slacko

#8 Post by bark_bark_bark »

peebee wrote:"Chris Horler" is the genius - I just found it and puppyfied it.... :oops:
Tomorrow's headline: FACT (Fascists Against Current Technology) removes another FOSS project from Github.

greengeek

#9 Post by greengeek »

peebee wrote:When you say "working" - does it still work after you have closed down the browser and done a reboot??

It works just the first time for me and then I get drm 3321 errors on subsequent tries.
Semme highlighted a possibility worth considering here. Don't know yet if it does much but worth a look.

greengeek

#10 Post by greengeek »

Hi peebee, thanks for the HAL pet. It has definitely made a difference for me in trying to display videos from the TVNZ-on-Demand website. I still can't view all of the content there, but I can now watch lots of programmes that were locked out before.

I am using a Slacko 5.6 derivative, and as well as your HAL pet (followed by a restart of X) I am also using watchdogs Firefox 26 pet from here and OscraTalks FlashPlayer 11 11.2.202.424-i386 .pet from here

EDIT : Turns out I didnt need to update the Firefox - it runs just as well with the Firefox 17.0.8-esr that comes with Slacko 5.6. Just seems to need the HAL pet and the Flash pet. It does give me an error message telling me the flash version is outdated but lets me click on "activate this flash plugin" and then works well. So far it does allow me to view all of the videos that I couldn't display before - I don't know if there are still some others that will fail to display but time will tell...

greengeek

#11 Post by greengeek »

NOTE : Just want to mention one more thing which affects testing/troubleshooting: on my system the video will only be displayed the second time you run the browser. The first time you run the browser you only get the black box, but after shutting down the browser then opening it and accessing the video again it displays ok (after 30 seconds delay...)

This made troubleshooting a bit confusing.

I now seem able to watch all videos on the TVNZ website. I think it was the 'second run' bug that made me think some were still locked out before...

EDIT : It seems I can simply click the "refresh page" icon in the browser instead of shutting it down then restarting it. Much easier.

My test system is: Slacko 5.6 (including the standard Firefox 17.0.8-esr that comes with it), HAL pet and FlashPlayer 11.2.202.424-i386 referred to above.

greengeek

#12 Post by greengeek »

greengeek wrote:It does give me an error message telling me the flash version is outdated but lets me click on "activate this flash plugin" and then works well. ..
If anyone else is getting the error messages about outdated flash version this can be permanently eliminated by doing the following:
Use geany to create a text file called "user.js"
In this file put the following lines:

// Don't remember about valid flash versions
user_pref("extensions.blocklist.enabled", false);

Save this file in /root/.mozilla/firefox/xxxxxdefault (the xxxxx is unique to each user)

NOTE: the // lines act the same way as # in bash code - it demarcates a comment line that is not treated as code. If you want to know more about creating a user.js file to define specific configuration settings that you want saved in the firefox profile see here

greengeek

#13 Post by greengeek »

I have made a Slacko 5.6 derivative that uses peebees HAL pet and OscarTalks Flash pet to allow me to view drm videos on the TVNZ website. I'm hoping it will also work for other "on demand" delayed TV sites too.

thread and download link here

EDIT : If the selected video doesn't start up immediately, just wait about 20 seconds (till the network blinky settles) then click the "refresh page" button.

Thanks PeeBee!
Last edited by greengeek on Sat 27 Dec 2014, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

greengeek

#14 Post by greengeek »

I'm keen to hear from anyone overseas if my puppy derivative (in previous post) allows the viewing of drm TV streaming websites in some other countries too? Anyone willing to give it a try? (OK - my local "TVNZ-on-Demand" is in the bookmarks, but just substitute your local 'delayed viewing' TV site...) cheers!

izvie

Would this work on Netflix in US?

#15 Post by izvie »

Hi PeeBee,

I downloaded and installed the hal-flash-0.3.0-i486-1.pet into my TAHR 6.1 and it seems to have installed OK. I tried opening Firefox 32 and went to Netflix but it won't play a movie. Do I need to do anything else to get the HAL working on Firefox besides running the .pet?

Thanks!

peebee

Re: Would this work on Netflix in US?

#16 Post by peebee »

izvie wrote:Hi PeeBee,

I downloaded and installed the hal-flash-0.3.0-i486-1.pet into my TAHR 6.1 and it seems to have installed OK. I tried opening Firefox 32 and went to Netflix but it won't play a movie. Do I need to do anything else to get the HAL working on Firefox besides running the .pet?

Thanks!
The fix pet is for flashplayer sites with DRM protected but free viewing....

Is Netflix flashplayer based?

Firefox does not come with flashplayer included OOTB - have you installed flashplayer?

Being in the UK and not a Netflix subscriber I can't help much more I'm afraid.

There are other threads for Netflix on Chrome I think....

Cheers
peebee

bark_bark_bark

Re: Would this work on Netflix in US?

#17 Post by bark_bark_bark »

peebee wrote:Is Netflix flashplayer based?
No, Netflix uses Silverlight. You can use pipelight, or be friends with the NSA and use Screwgle Crap.

scabz

#18 Post by scabz »

Netflix is now html5 and can only be viewed on newiest google-chrome on linux. other browsers in the future might work but currently not now.

izvie

#19 Post by izvie »

Thanks all, I think I'll try Pipelight!

Barkingmad

Does C4 still work?

#20 Post by Barkingmad »

Hello

I don't know if anyone is still watching this topic but I found it while searching for any way to use Brittish Channel 4 catch up on Puppy.

Should this fix still work or have the latest revisions to C4's services killed it?

I have Firefox 38.5.2 , Flash 11.2.202.559 (I think this is the latest Linux version available) and PeeBee's Hal-flash pet, all on Puppy Precise 5.7.1 but only get the resuts in the screenshot.

I have also tried Pipelight and Flash 20.xxx which works elseware but gives a 'false positive' to C4's check for addblockers. This apears to be a Pipelight bug as it's in their bug tracker but not being very actively persued.

Chrome browser from an sfs gets to a 'cover screen' but sits loading "for ever". Various Ubuntu forums suggest this is also a DRM issue.

Any ideas welcome but I can live without C4 if not :-)
Attachments
C4OD.png
Screenshot from browser
(81.18 KiB) Downloaded 221 times