Wary Puppy 0.9.6 (096) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
pakt

xorgwizard problem remains in wary-096

#31 Post by pakt »

Barry, the problem with xorgwizard’s text menus below the screen’s edge remains.

Just to clarify, this happens when I update the video driver to Intel or nVidia (two different PCs).

Initially, when booting, there are no problems with the text menus in xorgwizard - they all fit nicely and install the vesa driver (16bit).

It is during installation of either the Intel or nVidia driver that xorgwizard’s text menus extend below the bottom of the screen.

Btw, when I try to upgrade the video driver on the PC with nVidia graphics, it reports “Sorry, do not have your video chip
Last edited by pakt on Sun 14 Nov 2010, 09:05, edited 1 time in total.
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

rcrsn51

#32 Post by rcrsn51 »

zigbert wrote: When connected gui shows, but nothing happens when pressing the 'Scan' button.
Please run it from the command line with

Code: Select all

peasyscan
and check for error messages. If that doesn't show anything, go to the folder /usr/local/peasyscan and run

./xscanimage-peasy
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Mon 08 Nov 2010, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary Puppy 0.9.6 (096) feedback

#33 Post by BarryK »

wjaguar wrote:
BarryK wrote:Wary does not have that set in /etc/profile. Well, all Woof-built puppies do not have it set.
Have you looked? ;-)
I downloaded "wary-096.iso", unpacked the .sfs, and there it was. Hence the warning. And BTW, this is how it got there: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=01389
Yes, I have looked, it is NOT set.

That blog post was a temporary solution. Later on I obtained an updated Rox-Filer, after reporting the problem to the developers, and I removed that temporary fix. This is all documented on my blog.

The code is still there in /etc/profile, but it is commented-out -- that is what the '#' in column one does.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

shinobar

Re: xorgwizard problem remains in wary-096

#34 Post by shinobar »

pakt wrote:Barry, the problem with xorgwizard’s text menus below the screen’s edge remains.
Just to clarify, this happens when I update the video driver to Intel or nVidia (two different PCs).
Initially, when booting, there are no problems with the text menus in xorgwizard - they all fit nicely and install the vesa driver (16bit).
It is during installation of either the Intel or nVidia driver that xorgwizard’s text menus extend below the bottom of the screen.
@Barry and @pakt

Occurs with some NVIDIA graphic tips seems with some European keyboard.
I suspect the code writing /etc/fontmap.
See my post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=14
Last edited by shinobar on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

upnorth

#35 Post by upnorth »

Am running live right now, and nicoedit quit crashing on file open dialogue. The only thing different now is that utf8 is checked and x restarted. Nicoedit crashed the first time after this, but not since.

VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 096

Chip description:
oem: ATI MACH64

Driver used by Xorg:
mach64

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

zigbert

#36 Post by zigbert »

upnorth wrote:The only thing different now is that utf8 is checked
Where did you check to activate utf8. This could probably solve my problems with non-english chars in viewnior

Sigmund

zigbert

#37 Post by zigbert »

rcrsn51 wrote:
zigbert wrote: When connected gui shows, but nothing happens when pressing the 'Scan' button.
Please run it from the command line with

peasyscan
and check for error messages. If that doesn't show anything, go to the folder /usr/local/peasyscan and run

./xscanimage-peasy
Attachments
forum.png
(32.22 KiB) Downloaded 1643 times

zigbert

#38 Post by zigbert »

I succeeded to set up my wacom tablet (graphire 3) after editing xorg.conf. I have not tested pressure-sensitivity because of the lack of Gimp.

The cursor position is acting CLOSE to absolute (in opposite to a relative mouse-position), but not perfectly. Is there anyway to fine-tune the driver settings?

Sigmund

Terryphi

Unreliable flash performance with Opera

#39 Post by Terryphi »

All versions of Wary since 070 have produced unreliable flash performance for me in Opera 10.63 browser. Although it is recognised as a plugin by Opera it does not work consistently with all sites.

Flash does work at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/ - click on Live BBC News Channel on the right. (I believe that access is only allowed from the UK so it cannot be tested from elsewhere.)

Flash does not work at http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/about/ which should report the version of flash in use.

It does not work at http://www.lovefilm.com if you click on one of the trailers.

There are no such problems with Seamonkey. If you are using Opera with Wary 096 can you confirm the problem?

rcrsn51

#40 Post by rcrsn51 »

@zigbert: That's too bad. Peasyscan uses the xscanimage plugin to communicate with the SANE backend. This has been tested successfully with HP, Canon and Brother scanners. I don't have access to an Epson unit right now, so I don't know if all Epsons will fail or just your model.

Xscanimage is also used by Gimp to access scanners. It would be interesting to know if your Epson 2400 will work that way.

upnorth

#41 Post by upnorth »

@zigbert
i just used the global option (desktop setup icon>config puppy for country>choose locale>en_us>then checked box at bottom of list for UTF-8 encoding) and restarted x.
this got added to /etc/profile
LANG=en_US.utf8

update: just renamed a png to "fract0_ÆØÅ.png" and it opens in viewnior via click in rox, also opens from viewnior's file open menu.

@terryphi
fwiw, this version of opera <11.00 Build1045> works at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/,
not installed but run from opera dir on hard disk via click on "opera" wrapper/startup script. still in pfix=ram env.

pakt

Re: xorgwizard problem remains in wary-096

#42 Post by pakt »

shinobar wrote:
pakt wrote:Barry, the problem with xorgwizard’s text menus below the screen’s edge remains.
@Barry and @pakt

Occurs with some NVIDIA graphic tips seems with some Eropean keyboard.
I suspect the code writing /etc/fontmap.
See my post:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2&start=14
Shinobar, your right although I get the same problem on a PC with Intel G41 graphics, not just the one with nVidia graphics.

I tested choosing "US" keyboard instead on the Intel machine and, sure enough, the xorgwizard menus were normal size and all fit on the screen.

The difference I noticed was that with a US keyboard, the /etc/fontmap file is empty whereas choosing a non-US keyboard writes "lat1-12.psfu" or "lat2-12.psfu" to the file (depending on the country keyboard).

Commenting-out the line
echo -n "$FONTMAP" > /etc/fontmap
would then be like setting the keyboard to "US" (at least regarding fontmap, whatever it does...).

Does Barry remember why fontmap was added to Puppy?
Methinks Raspberry Pi were ideal for runnin' Puppy Linux

zigbert

#43 Post by zigbert »

rcrsn51 wrote:@zigbert: That's too bad. Peasyscan uses the xscanimage plugin to communicate with the SANE backend. This has been tested successfully with HP, Canon and Brother scanners. I don't have access to an Epson unit right now, so I don't know if all Epsons will fail or just your model.

Xscanimage is also used by Gimp to access scanners. It would be interesting to know if your Epson 2400 will work that way.
Let's come back to this when gimp has arrived the wary repo. Do I have to install any plugin, or.......

Sigmund

zigbert

#44 Post by zigbert »

upnorth wrote:@zigbert
i just used the global option (desktop setup icon>config puppy for country>choose locale>en_us>then checked box at bottom of list for UTF-8 encoding) and restarted x.
LANG=en_US.utf8
I checked setting in Puppy 5.1.1, and it says nb_NO.utf8. - so that's why it works here.

Is there any reason why utf8 is not default?

Sigmund

BarryK
Puppy Master

#45 Post by BarryK »

zigbert wrote:
upnorth wrote:@zigbert
LANG=en_US.utf8
I checked setting in Puppy 5.1.1, and it says nb_NO.utf8. - so that's why it works here.

Is there any reason why utf8 is not default?

Sigmund
It is purely a speed thing. Awhile back I did some tests and found that there is a significant performance hit, quite noticeable, on applications when utf8 is enabled.

The downside of having it off, is these days it is expected to be on. So, there could be some subtle, and not-so-subtle, problems, which is what we seem to be getting.

Maybe we should revisit this. Do some time tests on various typical usage scenarios, with utf8 off then on.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Sit Heel Speak

Opera 11.00-1055.i386 works well with Wary Puppy 0.9.6

#46 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Terryphi wrote:It does not work at http://www.lovefilm.com if you click on one of the trailers.

There are no such problems with Seamonkey. If you are using Opera with Wary 096 can you confirm the problem?
Screen capture, showing Iron Man 2 trailer (sorry, it's large, 3848 K) in Opera 11 alpha under Wary-096

The updated .sfs of Opera 11.00-1055.i386 (November 6 development build) which I posted yesterday at
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=61565
(updated from 1045, which had bugs)
works great in Wary-096. It has Flash Player Square 10.1 beta.

Sit Heel Speak

#47 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

(it went away)
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: problem with mouse focus on Rox window in Wary-096

#48 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:Here, instead of the Display-Next Click-Select-Options-New-Window-Help menu, I get the regular Puppy menu, as if I had right-clicked on the desktop.
ROX right-clicking works correctly for me. Are you seeing this when booting off the Live CD?

DaveS

Re: problem with mouse focus on Rox window in Wary-096

#49 Post by DaveS »

rcrsn51 wrote:
Sit Heel Speak wrote:Here, instead of the Display-Next Click-Select-Options-New-Window-Help menu, I get the regular Puppy menu, as if I had right-clicked on the desktop.
ROX right-clicking works correctly for me. Are you seeing this when booting off the Live CD?
Frugal install to HD with save file..... works correctly for me also.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sit Heel Speak

Font improvement PET for Quirky and (maybe) Wary

#50 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

Not booting from live-CD, rather a frugal. I copied the files from the mounted .iso into /mnt/sda3/wary-096 and gave grub's menu.lst a new stanza, to go with the dozen other frugal Puppy installs residing on sda3.

I noticed an anomaly in Wary's fonting, so decided to start fresh, thinking I had somehow stuffed X up; deleted my savefile; and now I cannot reproduce the right-click-in-rox problem described in my previous post.

However, this remains true: Wary's X is not reading my Dell 2001FP monitor's dimensions and resolution correctly.

Quirky (correct):
# xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (423x317 millimeters)
# xdpyinfo | grep resolution
resolution: 96x96 dots per inch

Wary (incorrect)
# xdpyinfo | grep dimensions
dimensions: 1600x1200 pixels (411x311 millimeters)
# xdpyinfo | grep resolution
resolution: 99x98 dots per inch

Still, Wary has great fonting:

Seamonkey and Opera side-by-side under Quirky (a Sept. 5 local woofbuild):
http://i55.tinypic.com/1z1wpon.png

Seamonkey and Opera side-by-side under Wary-096:
http://i55.tinypic.com/10fwftw.png

Proportional font spacing is better in Seamonkey, and overall text-rendering is crisper, than in Opera. Now if only Seamonkey would save to and read from .mht files.

Below, I link a 14 MB PET package which provides the Microsoft core webfonts, the full DejaVu 2.32 fontset, the Liberation fonts, the Ubuntu font, plus configuration files. I had this package installed when I took the above screen captures.

I would be curious to know if, on others' Wary (and Quirky, and maybe Lucid/luci and Lighthouse as well) this package helps your fonting or not.

Both of the above screencaps were taken with the package installed and both browsers set to

Serif=DejaVu Serif
(in Opera only: webpage headings changed from DejaVu Serif Condensed to DejaVu Serif)
Sans=DejaVu Sans
Mono=Andale Mono
Minimum font size 11
(in Seamonkey only: Allow pages to use other fonts checked = yes)

Comment-out the stanza in /etc/fonts/local.conf which turns on subpixel rendering, if you have a CRT monitor.

***There was one typo in the first version***
Line 29 of /etc/fonts/local.conf should read "more" not "less"
where it turns on antialiasing.
Corrected version:
font-improvements-for-Puppy-Five-0.0.2.pet (14,650,151 bytes)
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/94c0a07433_13.97MB
# md5sum font-improvements-for-Puppy-Five-0.0.2.pet
f35afdc4bf1728f80fdc4560439fbffe font-improvements-for-Puppy-Five-0.0.2.pet
Last edited by Sit Heel Speak on Tue 09 Nov 2010, 15:27, edited 3 times in total.