Retro Commodore based on Linux Mint

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Colonel Panic

Retro Commodore based on Linux Mint

#1 Post by Colonel Panic »

Commodore USA has just released a distro, based on Mint, which caters for fans of their old machines. Have to admit that at first sight I'm tempted, especially for Christmas;
"Commodore OS Vision is a community driven Linux distribution for Commodore enthusiasts that is designed to unleash your creative potential and help you enjoy your computing experience to the fullest. Commodore computers were well known for their unique operating environments, so we seek to do the same, by providing a distinctive, attractive, advanced and fun operating system experience. Its look is inspired by the Commodore 64 and original Commodore Amiga Workbench user environments but with a modern spin, which includes many slick graphical effects which showcase the capabilities of our new Commodore machines."
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS_Vision.aspx

And here's the machine it runs on;

I don't think it runs on a normal PC, and the more capable machines it does run on look expensive (the top one is nearly $1500). Still, it's good to see an old face making a comeback.

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

SFR

#3 Post by SFR »

I installed it on VBox and everything seems to work fine (but slow), so far.
Unfortunately, there's no KERNEL & KickStart ROMs included (for Vice and UAE) due to copyright issues.

What's on board:
- Vice & UAE, DeluxePaint Clone, MilkyTracker, GoatTracker, SID Player...
- Picasa, Blender, GIMP, Inkscape...
- Firefox, Evolution, Pidgin...
- Libre Office...
- Audiacity, Openshot, VLC, RhytmBox...
...and much more (ISO = 3.77 GB).

Looks like I'll be very busy for next few days :D

Greetings!
Attachments
CommodoreOS.jpg
(93.59 KiB) Downloaded 1800 times
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

russoodle

#4 Post by russoodle »

I WANT ONE!

Used to have an Amiga 2000 and gloated over the integrated animated graphics, whilst the 486 PCs required graphics cards/drivers....ugh :wink:
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Used to have an Amiga 2000
We still have one somewhere . . .
The Commodore OS is a modified Linux Mint. It runs on my 64bit dual core and very nice too.

The included Openshot is only 1.2 not even 1.3 (1.4 is out) :cry:

I am running as a live DVD
Do I install in a partition?
I just don't know. I would probably be better off with Mint or Pinguy 64 (which I occasionally use).
The OS has a weird clone version of deluxe paint.
It also has emulators (but I think you need special chip emulators to run them) - maybe the hardware will provide that?

The hardware looks very professional and solid.
Good luck to them :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

SFR

#6 Post by SFR »

Lobster wrote:It also has emulators (but I think you need special chip emulators to run them) - maybe the hardware will provide that?
[EDIT]I hoped that I will be able to use Vice, but later there were some problems with running it under non-root account... Yes, surely only their hardware provides better compability.[/EDIT]

I doubt that I'll install it as regular OS too, but as a nostalgic toy it's wonderful!

BTW: Second ISO contains tons of software, music, games, etc. (not only for emulators).

Greetings!
Last edited by SFR on Sun 13 Nov 2011, 15:55, edited 1 time in total.
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

JohnMurga
Site Admin

#7 Post by JohnMurga »

russoodle wrote:I WANT ONE!

Used to have an Amiga 2000 and gloated over the integrated animated graphics, whilst the 486 PCs required graphics cards/drivers....ugh :wink:
I still have two A500s and a CD32+SX1 at home :-)

If there was one I could get it would have to be this one :
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_VICSlim.aspx

Makoto

#8 Post by Makoto »

Never did get an Amiga. Or a 128, for that matter. :( But I do have a C64. (Did anyone ever get Linux working on a 64? Not that I'd want to try it, offhand - I'd probably have to get that 1541<>PC cable built just to try and get it on a 5" disk. :D)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

SFR

#9 Post by SFR »

Hi Makoto.

I've been thinking about it too.
And I found this: http://hld.c64.org/poldi/lunix/lunix.html
[LUnix]... is an experimental operating system for the Commodore64/128 without additional hardware. [...] The features of LUnix are: UNIX-like environment and command shell, multitasking, multisession. LUnix is free software!
Multitasking??? :? :D
Anyway, I didn't try it yet.

Regarding 1541<>PC cable - my friend bought XE1541 interface + Star Commander few years ago and thank to him I was able to transfer all my C64 data into PC.
There are also schematics how to build it yourself:
http://www.richardlagendijk.nl/cip/arti ... /xe1541/en
But the real problem is how/where to get brand new 5.25" DD disks today, isn't it? :wink:

Greetings!

Makoto

#10 Post by Makoto »

I'd been meaning to get around to buying a 1541/PC cable or building it for years. :oops:

As for disks... well, most or all of mine have probably blanked themselves by now, so I'll just use those. :lol:
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

russoodle

#11 Post by russoodle »

JohnMurga wrote: I still have two A500s and a CD32+SX1 at home :-)

If there was one I could get it would have to be this one :
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_VICSlim.aspx
I had an Amiga A500 first, before i upgraded to the 2000, and a Star NX1000 dot matrix printer with a colour ribbon, which i thought was pretty cool... :D

I like the VICSlim too but the other one has an HDMI input, which i rather fancy....all in my dreams, of course!

Where's Santa when you need him?? :lol:
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#12 Post by Lobster »

russoodle wrote:Where's Santa when you need him?? :lol:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

russoodle

#13 Post by russoodle »

Thanks Lobster, i'm optimistic of my chances now :lol:

PS: that's a really cute pic, btw..

mini-jaguar

#14 Post by mini-jaguar »

Wow, it is amazing, although on my computer it was super slow, it took at least 5 minutes to boot and about the same to power down.

It did feel like a C64 with cassette as some of the programs loaded really slowly, but I was able to multitask while some stuff was loading.

I guess it's possible to remove some stuff and make it lighter, but that would defeat the purpose as it has lots of really cool stuff. And I haven't even burned the second DVD.

I really want to install this but I don't have a free machine at the moment, I wonder if it will run faster than the live DVD. Anyone installed this yet?

mini-jaguar

#15 Post by mini-jaguar »

I just installed it and it really rips. It's now fast and boots fast. I'm not sure it's based on Mint, it could just as well be based on Ubuntu but I'm not really familiar with Mint. In any case it's light years away from any Ubuntu.

Can't wait to burn and install the second DVD.

jason.b.c

Re: Retro Commodore based on Linux Mint

#16 Post by jason.b.c »

Colonel Panic wrote:Commodore USA has just released a distro, based on Mint, which caters for fans of their old machines. Have to admit that at first sight I'm tempted, especially for Christmas;
"Commodore OS Vision is a community driven Linux distribution for Commodore enthusiasts that is designed to unleash your creative potential and help you enjoy your computing experience to the fullest. Commodore computers were well known for their unique operating environments, so we seek to do the same, by providing a distinctive, attractive, advanced and fun operating system experience. Its look is inspired by the Commodore 64 and original Commodore Amiga Workbench user environments but with a modern spin, which includes many slick graphical effects which showcase the capabilities of our new Commodore machines."
http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_OS_Vision.aspx

And here's the machine it runs on;

I don't think it runs on a normal PC, and the more capable machines it does run on look expensive (the top one is nearly $1500). Still, it's good to see an old face making a comeback.

this is really kinda lame , It's linux with compiz and other doo-dads ... show me something new is my say ...
Puppy is Awesome..!!!!
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com/][img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img][/url]