Puupy2 Alpha : so far so good

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
tronkel

Puupy2 Alpha : so far so good

#1 Post by tronkel »

Some words of encouragement to keep you going during this arduous but very worthwhile undertaking Barry.

I've been using Puppy2 Alpha for a few days now. Looking very good so-far.
Running on:

400Mz AMD
128MB RAM
500MB Linux swap partition
SiS Chipset

I'm getting a good speed improvement in loading e.g. Abiword and Gnumeric in comparison with Puppy 1.07. Latest Firefox 1.5.1 is also running faster and loading pages more quickly than with Puppy 1.07. Maybe the improvement in speed is down to the now more "normal" folder structure as regards the /root and /usr folders running directly as sub-folders off "/"

Maybe getting rid of the 10sec time-out at pupmode 12 in the start-up script would improve the already improved boot-up speed even further - unless of course it needs to be there for a good reason.

Any chance of a functioning usr_devx.sfs sytem? Puppy 2 Alpha seems to ignore the presence of the current version even if it present on the home partition.

I'm also missing the Gaby contacts manager program as was there in 1.07

So all this is moving along the track very nicely towards the final release of Puppy 2.

:)
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

BarryK
Puppy Master

#2 Post by BarryK »

Those 10 second delays are only there for testing purposes, so we can watch the bootup output.

I'll upload a repackage usr_devx.sfs soon. The new filename is devx_xxx.sfs, where "xxx" is the version number.
But, you can't just rename usr-devx.sfs!

billstclair

#3 Post by billstclair »

BarryK wrote:I'll upload a repackage usr_devx.sfs soon. The new filename is devx_xxx.sfs, where "xxx" is the version number.
But, you can't just rename usr-devx.sfs!
Did you ever upload devx_200.sfs (or is it devx_003.sfs)?

I discovered the hard way that user-devx.sfs is different from devx_200.sfs. I mounted it with a loopback and unionctl'd it into the "/" directory. Puppy behaved very strangely, forcing a hard power off and reboot.

I booted from CD, and used the Universal Installer to create a bootable USB key. Booting from the key was slow, creating the save file was very slow, but it works, as does the same save file copied to my NTFS hard drive, booted from CD.

I've successfully loaded and run sshd, emacs, and Firefox 1.5. Sound works well enough on my Dell 600m laptop to play Rockland Sachsen-Anhalt streamed radio.

For net access, I have to use a cable to my router instead of the radio modem, because Puppy 2 uses a different kernel dot version than the one for the ipw2200 driver binaries I found (which work with 1.0.8). With a compile environment, I could likely make the correct binaries myself.

dafydd

ipw2200 driver and 1.08/2beta

#4 Post by dafydd »

billstclair wrote:For net access, I have to use a cable to my router instead of the radio modem, because Puppy 2 uses a different kernel dot version than the one for the ipw2200 driver binaries I found (which work with 1.0.8). With a compile environment, I could likely make the correct binaries myself.
Bill, I'm a newbie and have tried using Puppy since 1.04. It's great and now I've installed it for a friend's daughter (who's 2.5) for her old laptop.

As for me, I can't get the thing to work with my ipw2200 (Intel Pro 2200BG) on a Sony Vaio. I've tried Ndiswrapper and using the linux driver but always get error messages.

Is there some pre-installed version of Puppy somewhere, that just works out of the box with my wireless? Or shouldl I just wait for the 2 to be finished.

I'm too stupid to compile or follow long instructions. Something always goes wrong.

Cheers for any info,

Dafydd

billstclair

#5 Post by billstclair »

dafydd,

I found the ipw2200 driver binaries on this forum somewhere, but I don't remember where at present. This is the wrong topic in which to discuss it, though, and I'm sitting at a Mac right now while my son plays a game on my Puppy machine (in Windoze). Send email to billstclair at gmail dot com, and I'll respond with instructions the next time I have Puppy running.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

billstclair wrote:dafydd,

I found the ipw2200 driver binaries on this forum somewhere, but I don't remember where at present.
Perhaps here, or here.