Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
shinobar

utf8 issue and countrywizard

#136 Post by shinobar »

zigbert wrote:shinobar and Barry
I am in Puppy 5.1.1 (but I think this is a woof-thing)
Choosing Norwegian (nb_NO) in the country-setup, I click the checkbox to activate UTF-8. --> echo $LANG show nb_NO.utf8, so urxvt won't display nowegian chars. - I guess this is fixed in shinobars new county-setup?
Also depends on rc.country.
The locale using UTF-8 encoding should be '??.UTF-8', but most of Puppy and woof uses '??.utf8' instead. It can be a problem on some X based applications. If you like to use '??.UTF-8', you need to modify the script /etc/rc.d/rc.country.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58312

Attached the modified rc.country used in LupQ-511.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

#137 Post by BarryK »

Billtoo wrote:
BarryK wrote: If you are having problems with sound muted at boot, or network connection not remembered at bootup, try this. Ideally, it should be builtin, when Puppy is created, so it is there at first boot, but anyway, you can grab the PET and try it on subsequent boots.
The pet solved the problem on my netbook,
thanks
I would like someone to try it who has a 3G modem, as my Vodafone wireless 3G modem is in Perth right now (and I am 350Km away from Perth).

With modems, it is best if my simplified script is present and the modem plugged in at first boot, but anyway, it will be useful to see what happens if you install my PET then reboot and see if it still works. Interesting also to try hotplug the 3G modem.

My modifications don't do anything to help 3G modems, on the contrary have removed some functionality, so I really want to know that my PET doesn't break your modem setup.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

shinobar

ANOUNCE: Grub4DosConfig bugfix release

#138 Post by shinobar »

Bugfix released Grub4DosConfig v1.6.2.
# 20nov10 v1.6.2: fix RAM mode, fix puppyoptions, single item for single windows, wubi support
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#139 Post by Lobster »

If you are having problems with sound muted at boot
installed in 5.2 luci-237 and my sound setting (I had to run the alsa wizard each boot) was now available. The sound was muted but I turned the sound up by 'Full Window' and upping the front sound in retrovol - will see if the setting is persistent at next boot. So far seems an improvement - may thanks :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#140 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm,,

Just installed the zzz pet on the old p3, but I run 097 on that, wireless networking works, and sound still muted at bootup, it's an old SB16Vibralux. I configured previously with alsawizard and is working good. So the pet made no differrence

With 098 on my Athlon 2100+, sis chipset, radeon 9200pro, AC97 sound I got the 'woof, woof' on pfix=ram anyway, 3g modem huawei-e169, product id 12d1:1001 connected niceley, pfix=ram.

Installed the zzz and rebooted.

Now I can't find the modem. I probe and 'no modem found'.. I did a lsusb and the product id is there, so no usb problem, however, the thing usually shows up on the desktop as a CD drive, but not anymore. That just gave me an idea.. I ran Pmount and Pmount sees it as an optical device. I have tried at boot and hotplugging, I'll reboot again....................
Ok, it's on the desktop now... let me see, i run 'lsmod | grep option',, option is not loaded, ok easy from here 'depmod && modprobe option' brings it up in pupdial as ttyUSB0, great, back online, but I suspect I'll need to do the same next reboot.

Oh, forgot.. sound was fine! Not muted, it wasn't anyways on this machine.

NOTE: On reboot I did have to re modprobe the option driver. I uninstalled the zzz pet and I'm back to a happy state on this machine.

hth
Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Sun 21 Nov 2010, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#141 Post by 01micko »

The aforementioned radeon box.. (9200pro)

Mesa was recommended for my video upgrade, it downloaded and installed fine, I went to the prompt, typed 'xwin', x started but no jwm panel and window borders were red, also font was like console font. Uninstalled and back to normal.
Also, my preferred resolution of (oh no, just clicked num keys with numlock off and seamonkey crashed, but it remembered where I was)..

Now, my preferred resolution of 1280x1024 doesn't work in wary. It's offered in xorgwizard, chosen but X starts at 1024x768, could be the monitor, though it works in lupu on this box, yes it is a completely different xorg and probably a later radeon driver, though puppy-431 and earlier worked fine (still installed).. acceleration too. The monitor is CRT, TPG brand, 17".

I'll look for clues in xorg.conf and the log.

EDIT: the resolution changer worked, I can get 1280x1024 @ 59.9Hz, flicker isn't too bad

Cheers
Last edited by 01micko on Sat 20 Nov 2010, 09:37, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: wary-098 devx's pinstall.sh does not execute

#142 Post by BarryK »

Sit Heel Speak wrote:If I copy pinstall.sh from the devx to / (in a wary-098 full install)

and then attempt to execute /pinstall.sh, I get

# ./pinstall.sh
./pinstall.sh: line 5: syntax error near unexpected token `fi'
./pinstall.sh: line 5: `fi'

and

/usr/share/mime/globs

is not appended-to (not sure whether it should be, or not).
Ok, I found where that is coming from. It is the 'pinstall.sh' script in the 'valide' PET, in the pet_packages-woof directory at ibiblio.org.

It is a broken script.

Woof also has a bug, leaving it behind in the devx sfs.

I have removed the valide PET from Wary. I don't even know if it still works.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#143 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:Hmmm,,

Just installed the zzz pet on the old p3, but I run 097 on that, wireless networking works, and sound still muted at bootup, it's an old SB16Vibralux. I configured previously with alsawizard and is working good. So the pet made no differrence

With 098 on my Athlon 2100+, sis chipset, radeon 9200pro, AC97 sound I got the 'woof, woof' on pfix=ram anyway, 3g modem huawei-e169, product id 12d1:1001 connected niceley, pfix=ram.

Installed the zzz and rebooted.

Now I can't find the modem. I probe and 'no modem found'.. I did a lsusb and the product id is there, so no usb problem, however, the thing usually shows up on the desktop as a CD drive, but not anymore. That just gave me an idea.. I ran Pmount and Pmount sees it as an optical device. I have tried at boot and hotplugging, I'll reboot again....................
Ok, it's on the desktop now... let me see, i run 'lsmod | grep option',, option is not loaded, ok easy from here 'depmod && modprobe option' brings it up in pupdial as ttyUSB0, great, back online, but I suspect I'll need to do the same next reboot.

Oh, forgot.. sound was fine! Not muted, it wasn't anyways on this machine.

hth
Cheers
Ok. In reducing things to basics, I left out some of rerwin's code that might have caused the 'option' module to load (if it was still there). I will study it tonight ...wish I had my 3G modem with me!

Note, my Samsung mobile seems to be detected as /dev/ttyUSB0 no problem, but I have never actually tried connecting to Internet with it.

Sit Heel Speak

#144 Post by Sit Heel Speak »

01micko wrote:Mesa was recommended for my video upgrade...The aforementioned radeon box...(9200pro)
I plan to work on this over the weekend, as I am not satisfied with my own ATi HD 4550's performance under fglrx (Catalyst). No matter how good the Catalyst package you create, the effort is wasted unless you first compile glut/mesa correctly.

glut and mesa should be compiled from the same source version number of each. I'm stepping through the version numbers at the border between 6.5.n and 7.0.n, to find the right combination for Wary's Xorg 7.3+ and xserver 1.3, which was released April 2007, about contemporaneous with these versions of glut/mesa.

Hold fast.

Sage

#145 Post by Sage »

BK & 01micko: just reported on blog that zzz causes sound to function but switches off connection, and v.v.

shinobar

Delayedrun

#146 Post by shinobar »

@Barry

#101009 problem as tray applets only got launched after welcome msg exited...

But still the tray applets does not appear before we move the cursor over the splash or 55 seconds wait.
Why don't you launch the startup scripts BEFORE the splash?

Karl Godt

#147 Post by Karl Godt »

Ravenrest... tried the above and it did not bork the tray, but it did not change the theme either
perhaps this would give a second button to apply for /usr/local/jwmthememaker/jwmthememaker :

Code: Select all

##-------------variables---------------->>

-GTKTHEME=`fgrep 'include' /root/.gtkrc-2.0 | fgrep '/usr/share/themes/' | grep -v '^#' | fgrep -m1 'gtkrc' | tr -d "'" | tr -d '"' | sed 's/include //' | tr -d '\t' | tr -d ' '`
-[ ! -e $GTKTHEME ] && exit 1 
-
-JWMTHEME=/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme
-
 MENU_BG=
 ACTIVE_BG=
 FOREGROUND="black"
-
 DEFAULT=
 FULL_COLOUR=255

+JWMCOLO="/root/.jwm/jwm_colors"
+JWMCBAK="/root/.jwm/jwm_colors.bak"
+
+JWMTHEME="/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme"
+JWMTHBAK="/root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme.bak"
+
+JWMTHDIR="/root/.jwm/themes"
+
+cd $JWMTHDIR
+CURRCOL="`ls -a --time=atime | grep  colors | head -n 1`"
+CURRTHE="`ls -a --time=atime | grep  jwmrc | head -n 1`"
+cp -f $JWMCOLO $JWMCBAK
+cp -f $JWMTHEME $JWMTHBAK
+cp -f $CURRCOL $JWMCOLO
+cp -f $CURRTHE $JWMTHEME
+
+. $JWMCOLO # File to get the colorvalues from 
+
+#if test -f $JWMCBAK ; then # Restore Backup Theme
+#. $JWMCBAK
+#fi
+
+# cp -f $JWMTHEME $JWMTHBAK
+
+if test ! -f $JWMTHBAK ; then # Create Backup if none exists
+cp -f $JWMTHEME $JWMTHBAK
+echo "# last change by gtk2jwm "`date` >> $JWMTHBAK
+fi
+
 ##------get relevant gtk colours-------->>

if [ -z "$MENU_BG" ]; then # if true lenght of $MENU_BG is zero ; then echo what ? to /root/.jwm/jwmrc-theme
if test -f /root/.jwm/jwm_colors.bak ; then
cp -f  /root/.jwm/jwm_colors.bak /root/.jwm/jwm_colors
fi
  pidof jwm >/dev/null && jwm -restart
 exit 2
else 
 # set variables for tcl/tk apps:

zekebaby

Alsa again

#148 Post by zekebaby »

I installed Barry's latest script package and rerwin's -5 modem package yesterday and I got the two barks on startup. I rebooted a few times and everything was OK.

When I turned on the computer this morning, sound was gone again. Luckily, I had a saved a pmodem diagnostic before (when sound worked) and grabbed another one now. They are attached.

Sage

#149 Post by Sage »

Finally got an ISA sound card (aliasing SB16) fully functional with FULL 0.9.8. However, (re)setting the sound was tricky. The tray sound icon was stuck on 0% but the sliders in the mixer work OK. None of the settings were retained on exit.
What is most peculiar is that the behaviours of all the sound controls and settings is so variable, even swapping a FULL HD to different boards. Most unusual.
The good news - sound quality is fantastic; worth the effort. Anyone still twiddling with on-board sound would be amazed. But you do need a sound card with on-board amp; some with exactly same number have it (usually a TDAxxx dil chip), others do not. What you need are no longer on general release, so it's eBay and second string retails with back supplies (maybe as much as 10yrs old) and surplus traders. Anything bought in the last five years is cr*p and will not be worth installing - you'll have to pump the audio through a good hi-fi and that's going to cost buckets of cash.
Last edited by Sage on Sat 20 Nov 2010, 21:34, edited 1 time in total.

rerwin

Re: Alsa again

#150 Post by rerwin »

zekebaby wrote:I installed Barry's latest script package and rerwin's -5 modem package yesterday and I got the two barks on startup. I rebooted a few times and everything was OK.

When I turned on the computer this morning, sound was gone again. Luckily, I had a saved a pmodem diagnostic before (when sound worked) and grabbed another one now.
Thanks for your posting. Welcome to 2009! The obvious difference in the two diags is that the zzz package was controlling the "noalsa" run. So, I refer this to Barry.

To everyone: Please don't expect me to troubleshoot the experimental zzz package, as I already spend all my spare time ensuring the reliability of puppy through the "protect" script and module loading and modem support that depend on it. The zzz package replaces all of the module loading and protection that many have assisted me in perfecting to this point. I hope they will continue to help me "fine tune" it as new uses are found (such as the current sound issues). Thank you to all who have supported my effort.
Richard.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Alsa again

#151 Post by BarryK »

zekebaby wrote:I installed Barry's latest script package and rerwin's -5 modem package yesterday and I got the two barks on startup. I rebooted a few times and everything was OK.

When I turned on the computer this morning, sound was gone again. Luckily, I had a saved a pmodem diagnostic before (when sound worked) and grabbed another one now. They are attached.
Er, you didn't mention in what order you installed them.

If you want to test rerwin's latest upgrade, do not install my zzz PET.

If you want to test my zzz PET, it must be installed last. It replaces a couple of rerwin's scripts.

And as I noted, my zzz PET does not yet have proper functionality for the 3G hydbrid modems (storage - modem) so don't bother with trying my zzz PET yet for testing them devices.

glenco

#152 Post by glenco »

JWM configuation is broke. Can't change wallpaper by clicking JWM configuation > Desktop > Desktop Background icon.
ROX has no right click option of Set As Wallpaper.
Pwallpaper background chooser works but the images must be located in /usr/share/backgrounds only.
:(

shinobar

Loarding main sfs with pfix=ram from CD

#153 Post by shinobar »

I made a remastered custom CD of Wary-098.
Tested the custom CD of course with pfix=ram.
But it loads the main sfs from HDD original, instead of the CD modified.
PUPSTATE:

PUPMODE=5
PDEV1='sr0'
DEV1FS='iso9660'
PUPSFS='sda3,ext3,/warry/wary_098.sfs'
The whole main sfs is loaded on RAM and the HDD partition /dev/sda3 is unmouted after, its nice, but...
It is a problem in case the PC with lower RAM.
The CD boot with pfix=ram means somewhat the HDD is unreliable, i think, so all the files should loaded from the CD.

rerwin

Welcome display can mislead user about low RAM

#154 Post by rerwin »

After setting up a test PC for working the woof-woof problem, I did not see the welcome screen on first boot from the remastered (with -5) CD, so lost hope of a quick ALSA fix. I saved to a file (pupsave-test2). The next morning when I rebooted to that pupsave, the Welcome screen appeared and I moused to get the woof-woof. Maybe there is hope.

But then I read the warning message on the welcome screen, which claimed I was very low on RAM. The reality is that the PC has 1GB, but the pupsave has only 32MB total, with about 15MB available. It appears that the available pupsave space is being checked instead of the actual RAM size. My guess is that the assumption is that the welcome only occurs before a pupsave is available. But there it was. Attached is the evidence.
Richard

Billtoo

Wary 0.9.8 (098) feedback

#155 Post by Billtoo »

I installed 098 to an 8gb SDHC card formatted to ext4.
I've installed the wary_devx_098.sfs,kernel_src-2.6.31.14-patched.sfs,
and NVIDIA-Linux-x86-260.19.21.run.
I compiled xine-lib-1.1.19.tar.bz2 and added xine-ui-0.99.5-w5 from
the puppy package manager.
The computer is an Acer Revo Nettop.

# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 098

Chip description:
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP79 Board - hornet-0 Chip Rev

Driver used by Xorg:
nvidia

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
Computer
Processor 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU 330 @ 1.60GHz
Memory 1813MB (829MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.09
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Sat 20 Nov 2010 09:35:54 PM EST

Display
Resolution 1280x1024 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.3.0

The graphics chip is an Nvidia ION.

The network,and sound were working on first boot although the wireless
wlan0 doesn't even show up the wired network works fine.

The xine DVD player works well with my Sony usb dvd drive, so does Ogle.

Edit: this install was running well (I thought) on the Revo but it
locked up the computer after a few hours and I had to shut it down.
I just pulled the SDHC card out of the Revo and put it in my Gateway
desktop which has ATI HD3200 onboard graphics.

At first bootup it went to the xorgwizard prompt and I chose probe and
it got the resolution correct.The network was up but Retrovol needed
to be re-configured.
I downloaded the ati_fglrx-10.10-k2.6.31.14-w5.pet and installed
it,then rebooted and followed the instructions.
# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Wary Puppy, version 098

Chip description:
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS780 01.00

Driver used by Xorg:
radeon
fglrx

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
#
I'll let this run for a few hours and see how it goes, it's working
a-one right now.

Wary 094 ran problem free on the Revo running with a flash drive
install so I think the SDHC card was the problem.
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 21 Nov 2010, 22:15, edited 1 time in total.