Lucid Pup 5.2 Not displaying movie trailers at Apple site

Please post any bugs you have found
marco07

Lucid Pup 5.2 Not displaying movie trailers at Apple site

#1 Post by marco07 »

Hi Folks:
I just tried to watch a movie trailer at Apple site but got strange reaction from FF in lucid pup 5.2. It seems it is trying to play but the screen keeps on flicking and nothing is shown. I do have real player 11 already installed in my system.
Please help!
Thanks!

stu90

#2 Post by stu90 »

While not browser based Boxee media player is in the latest version of Quickpet (available in the Lucid 5.2 update) if you add the Navi-X repository there is an apple movie trailers channel in there.
my old laptop cant handle the 1080p (stutters) but the rest play fine.

rjbrewer

Re: Lucid Pup 5.2 Not displaying movie trailers at Apple site

#3 Post by rjbrewer »

marco07 wrote:Hi Folks:
I just tried to watch a movie trailer at Apple site but got strange reaction from FF in lucid pup 5.2. It seems it is trying to play but the screen keeps on flicking and nothing is shown. I do have real player 11 already installed in my system.
Please help!
Thanks!
On most of the new Puppys' ( Wary, Lupu, etc.), Apple trailers tend
to skip while trying to buffer cache.

Wary 098 plays them very smooth.

I'm using Seamonkey 2.07.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

marco07

#4 Post by marco07 »

Thanks everyone!
I give up on this issue! Is no big deal, I can live without it.

Hogweed

#5 Post by Hogweed »

I can confirm this problem as well with Lucid 5.2 and latest Firefox 4.0b11 Beta with Gecko Mplayer Quicktime plugin.

For example http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/fox_ ... blackswan/

Try and play a trailer and the Quicktime plugin loads and calls Gecko Media Player. The player then starts to buffer then crashes. It doesn't play jerkily it just flashes a few times then crashes. Disabling the plugin should cause FF to use my VLC plugin for quicktime but instead I am just prompted to "download QT for PC or Mac".

A quick google shows other people having similar problems - apparently there are bugs in FF's handling of multiple plugins registered to handle similar files.

In any case it is possible upgrading mplayer to the latest version might fix the crash problem.

EDIT: Just tried this page in Opera 11 and Opera crashed

ariszlo

#6 Post by ariszlo »

It works fine for me with Firefox-3.6.13-Lucid but I do not have RealPlayer. I only have woof-installed gecko-mediaplayer_0.9.9.2-1 and gnome-mplayer-0.9.9.2-lupu.