Trouble burning multisession DVD (Solved by console)

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
biglaus

Trouble burning multisession DVD (Solved by console)

#1 Post by biglaus »

I recently took delivery of a new superdrive, reads and writes and rewrites CD's and DVD's.

For the last two days I have been trying to get a multisession DVD to work. Burning Puppy to the DVD is not a problem. Putting anything else on it is. Despite using growisofs my computer thinks the DVD is complete and calls for me to insert another. This happens both in Mandriva 2006 and Puppy 1.0.7.

I can live with that and simply use CD's which work fine but I am trying to create a gift DVD that will boot up into Puppy (so the user will have Puppy) and contain some 4gig of data as well. Am trying to burn the whole lot on in one go and am using a boot.img I extracted from a Puppy multisession CD. Can't get it to work. Must be doing something stupid.

Would appreciate if anyone could talk me through this. I am using K3b under Mandriva 2006 to burn but could also use Puppy - whatever. Tks in advance...

Ps. Am using DVD-R disks
Never underestimate an old soldier, even if he is fat.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

I boot a regular Puppy live CD then use Puppy's Start -> Multimedia -> burniso2cd, and choose the multisession DVD option. It's always worked for me. Usually I have downloaded the Puppy iso while in Windows so I use MUT to mount the NTFS partition the iso is in, so that burniso2cd can find the iso.

Which version of Puppy are you using for the multisession DVD?

biglaus

#3 Post by biglaus »

G'day Mate. Using 1.0.7 but I have them all going back to 1.0.3. Which is when I discovered it. I use Mandriva 2006 for my main OS with Puppy being used like a hobby to get to know it. Puppy has already helped me on two occasions recovering data for clients from puters with broken systems. It is the best data recovery tool I have. But I don't need to tell you that.

I have no trouble burning the ISO to DVD either in Puppy or MD. Both use the multisession option. I don't know if it is my equipment or the media DVD-R that I am using but multisession it is not. Once the ISO is burned that is all that will go on the DVD. Not so with CD's they work fine.

What I am trying to do is generate a gift DVD that boots up into Puppy but also contains around 4gig of information. I have put together several bible applications, some websites for off line browsing, copies of the great books of the western world, that sort of thing. All available on the internet but not something everyone can find. The people who I will be giving these DVD's and CD's to are computer novices. All they do is load my DVD and click on an index file to brows the whole DVD. By having it boot up into Puppy I can also give them a working copy of Puppy that they can reproduce on CD for themselves, thus spreading the good word. A lot of these people still use Win95 and Puppy should be a real blessing for them.

I have been trying to burn a DVD with Puppy on it as well as all this other information and am limited by the fact that if I burn the ISO I can not get any more information onto the DVD.

So how do I set up the DVD so that it is a boot DVD, booting into puppy and containing all my other information without burning the ISO?

Ted Dog

megasized DVD

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I do this all the time, if you have about 4Gs storage avail here is how to do it

Create a subdirectory some where on the available storage. I will copy /livecd from multisession disk.

I have a 250G harddrive mounted on /mnt/hdb1
on that drive will have a directory labelled livecd which contains the files from the muiltisession version.

DVD burner wizard has already selected my DVD which is also my DVD burner
To start the directory.
using Rox drag /livecd from / (top level of puppy_pre 2 series) to the mounted storage drive (/mnt/hdb1 in my case)

add upto 4.3G of stuff into /mnt/hdb1/livecd

Then start up terminal:

Code: Select all

cd /mnt/hdb1
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd -D -J -R -b isolinux.bin -c boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table  livecd/ 
The burn will take some time.

If you do not have 4G available there is another (more problematic way)
If you have a DVD+RW to test with you will have less coasters.
-TED

biglaus

#5 Post by biglaus »

Thanks Ted. Will let you know how I go... Lance

biglaus

#6 Post by biglaus »

Worked perfectly Ted. Thanks a heap. No doubt about that command line for getting things done. I don't understand much of it and have been trying to use k3b... Lance

Ted Dog

k3b. new version too helpful --- it hurts!!!

#7 Post by Ted Dog »

I tried the most updated version of k3b it turns on dvd-compat which turns off multisession. command line to burn iso

Code: Select all

growisofs   -Z   /dev/dvd=puppy.iso
where puppy.iso is the path/file of the iso you wish to burn.
needs the = sign without spaces around it

biglaus

#8 Post by biglaus »

Mate, that also worked first time. Thankyou. Now why can't the burning gui apps do that? I had given up on making a multisession DVD, now I have one and as many more as I want... great!

Now I just have to get sound working on Puppy. I will look at the other forums and see what others have to say on it...