XMMS not installing right???

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
timbrown

XMMS not installing right???

#1 Post by timbrown »

Hello! i'm new to Puppy and really liking it. I found out about this OS while searching for (PCLOS) linux drivers for my Linex USB transmitter.

I've tried to get this going, per the instructions here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... c70ce5d91f

...but installing xmms isn't panning out.

I installed the dotpuphandler first, then "puppybasic" per the package handler. I then had it install xmms.

When I click on XMMS, nothing happens.

When I type xmms at the console, I get the following:
Error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory.

Not sure what to do from here. Can anyone please help? I'd really like to get this transmitter working!

Makoto

#2 Post by Makoto »

XMMS requires GTK 1 to be installed, I believe, which most recent Puppy versions don't have (they have GTK 2). There should also be at least one or more .pet/.pup installers for GTK 1 somewhere on the forum; use this search page to search the forum for them.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

timbrown

#3 Post by timbrown »

thank you! I found a .pup file, but it failed to install. Something about a file missing...

However I did find a tar file. I'll give it a look and do some searching on how to install this. It has been a few years.

Makoto

#4 Post by Makoto »

Weird. The search page I linked to isn't working for me, today, for some reason. :shock:

I found a .pet for GTK 1.2 on the forum with a normal Google search: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 861#438861. Maybe that one will work.
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

timbrown

#5 Post by timbrown »

THANK YOU! xmms is now properly installed.

I did a "modprobe snd-usb-audio" and it is reporting that modprobe.conf is deprecated. Something else to work on....

Thanks again!

timbrown

#6 Post by timbrown »

Great! it's working...after a fashion! much further along than with any other distro to date.

Two issues yet, which I'll look into, one of which has to do with getting a pls file stream to work in xmms. This was easy in PCLINUXOS but must need to change a setting here...

the other has to do with getting the volume control back on my task bar...it disappeared for some reason!

Again, thanks....!