i810_drv.o needs updating in 1.0.8 for Xorg to work

Please post any bugs you have found
Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1 Post by Flash »

It's back to square one with Puppy 1.0.8 on my (i815) computer: Xorg gives multicolor vertical stripes and the machine locks up solid...

I've only tried it with multisession so far.

pakt

#2 Post by pakt »

Flash wrote:It's back to square one with Puppy 1.0.8 on my (i815) computer: Xorg gives multicolor vertical stripes and the machine locks up solid...

I've only tried it with multisession so far.
Sounds like Barry forgot to update the i810 driver from xorg 681 to xorg 682.

Try installing http://dotpups.de/diverse-tgz/i810_drv.o.tar.gz and see if it fixes the problem.

Paul

#3 Post by Guest »

Thanks, pakt. There was already an i810_drv.o file in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers, but it was a different size from the download (191KB if I remember) so I replaced it with the downloaded one and now Xorg works.

I ran "xorgwizard" from the command line, and had to use "xwin" to restart because the GUI didn't respond.

Now to see if it works when I restart the 1.0.8 multisession DVD.

pakt

#4 Post by pakt »

Anonymous wrote:Thanks, pakt. There was already an i810_drv.o file in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers, but it was a different size from the download (191KB if I remember) so I replaced it with the downloaded one and now Xorg works.

I ran "xorgwizard" from the command line, and had to use "xwin" to restart because the GUI didn't respond.

Now to see if it works when I restart the 1.0.8 multisession DVD.
That confirms that Barry forgot to update i810_drv.o. :(

Flash, this should really be reported as a 1.0.8beta bug...

Paul

BarryK
Puppy Master

#5 Post by BarryK »

Okay, fixed it.

The i810 problem occurred because I have the puppy 1.0.x and the puppy2 build folders completely separate, and had only fixed the xorg package in puppy2.
The current situation is if I modify any package I may have to do it twice, so I'll be glad when the 1.0.x series gets retired.

oui

to retire the serie 1.x

#6 Post by oui »

hi barry

i am back! it is the first day that i am back. why? between puppy 1.3 and now i did always have kernel panic... and puppy under 1.2 did have only a restrictive spreadsheet (it's my main application!)

but now, today evening, 1.8 works very properly and I would be really glad to use it again. but i have the same problem as descripted above on the one pc with i810. i can use Xorg but only until 810x600 and will actualize the driver tomorow

but I am really not shure I will get access to 2.0 because of kernel panic!

i miss different little thing in puppy:

- magic point
- a music notation editor
- wine, like in slax killbill ed. for using the phantastic Eva Web (attention: the link on your page at www.goosee.com is broken!), the very good browser OffByOne ( www.OffByOne.com . OB1 is a very good browser without java and other sophisticated plug-in's = without disturb through advertising!), the very good mailing client Pimmy ( www.geminisoft.com ), and FileZilla, all 3 very compact MS-Windows-Programms able to work perfectly in wine from the original place in the windows-system, so the created or changed user files (cookies, bookmarks, email copies etc stay exactly the sames if you are in linux or in MS-windows). the firefox of ms-windows starts and works under wine after being only copyed into the pseudo drive C of wine in killbill). but of course, killbill is not able to start and work in the RAM. and slax can't recognize or start my built-in LAN. i have to plug in an external LAN to use it in the internet. with puppy would i have a near perfect system, fast, and very nice...

slax propose a lot of extremly easy to use modules. especially OO 2.0, etc. I suppose that a lot of them would work easily in puppy and it would not be necessary to reinvente the wheel?

I don't see Basic Linux (has also an important lot of extensions but I didn't try to use them because I can't get internet connection at all in Basic linux), Puppy and Slax as concurrents.

All 3 use Slackware as base and correspond to a really different segment of usage. the best placed is in my opinion puppy but different ideas realized in slax (or Basic Linux: I did "discover" magic point in Basic Linux! and then I did install it in MS-Windows with the very good delivered with installation package for a little Cygwin system) are also very good! it would be really an advantage for the community of slackware children's users if the initiators of the different system would interchange ideas and reciproque comprehension, because all the communities would grown: l'union fait la force!