USB Flash drives that won't boot to Linux

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
The Major

#16 Post by The Major »

I find my new Kingston DataTraveler 2 USB drive won't boot either, so that's another one for the list

babbs

#17 Post by babbs »

Major,

What have you tried so far? Also what version of Puppy are you working with?

Babbs

grepnik

#18 Post by grepnik »

Just to report back, following Barry's instructions to the letter to install Puppy2 resulted in another unbootable Flash drive. Not only that, but unviewable as well, dd won't copy it, and another sector-level disk access tool (DiskED on Win98) crashes.

This is on the PNY Attache 512MB. I can't be sure this is the same problem with this drive that prevents a non-DOS boot, but I note that Trip has succeeded in using the DOS/Dos-Linux-loader method with Puppy2, see the end of this topic
http://www.murga.org/%7Epuppy/viewtopic.php?t=6132

I was probably not using the current version of Puppy2, things may have changed in later releases.

I may try the Dos approach with Puppy2 next, though for normal use I'm inclined to boot off CD with PHOME on USB.

Major, it may be worth your while trying the technique in the topic listed above. If you can make it boot to DOS I suspect it can be made to boot Puppy.

The Major

#19 Post by The Major »

I'm running Puppy 1.0.8, and I've tried the standard install to USB instructions. Everything appears OK when I follow the script, but when I try to boot from the USB falsh drive, I get a message "missing operating system".

I previously had a PNY flash drive running happily on the same laptop (Dell Latitude X300) under 1.0.7

Mons

Booting from Lexar Jumpdrive

#20 Post by Mons »

Hi,
I tried for a couple of days to boot unsuccessfully with various installations and formatting from Windows etc.

The solution was the HP tool. See here (with link to the tool in question):
http://www.oreillynet.com/digitalmedia/ ... _driv.html

My laptop also said "No operating system" until I reformatted with the HP tool.

Now my Puppy 1.08 boots like a dream :lol:

And with the little Puppy, I still have plenty of space for my files!

Mons

The Major

Kingston Datatraveler problem fixed

#21 Post by The Major »

Thanks for this post - it sorted me out

boscobearbank

PNY Attache 512M

#22 Post by boscobearbank »

FWIW, I found I could get my PNY Attache 512Mb flash drive to boot puppy2alpha (as a USB-Zip device) by using the command mkfs.msdos -I /dev/sda to create the filesystem on the drive. Using the superfloppy option from the puppy installer didn't work for me.
Bosco Bearbank

ChechenPuppy

#23 Post by ChechenPuppy »

The Major wrote:I find my new Kingston DataTraveler 2 USB drive won't boot either, so that's another one for the list
The reason could be that this particular USB drive (not all by Kingston) is rather slow. Check my thread for more details: http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=8033
As a result, BIOS does not waite long enough for its reaction. If you have in your BIOS the option like "USB Mass Storage Reset Delay " then try to set it to the maximal value.