Insidious Puppy 001

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
gcmartin

Recommendation to author

#241 Post by gcmartin »

Seems that there is a lot of discussion over the confused release of 002.

Has anyone PM'd the builder of 002 and asked him to start a new thread where he announces this upgrade.

He can title the new thread "Insidious2" or "Insidious-002" or " Insidious Too" or whatever he chooses as an appropriate new name for this thread and his ISO.

Sometimes, I have found, that base forum knowledge is not consistent among forum users (I am an example of this). He may not know how to start a new thread, give it a Subject and post in a new thread.

Hope this helps.
P.S. My Question: Can I use the "APT" tool in this or any PUPs to add packages from Debian? Thx

pemasu

#242 Post by pemasu »

I made Insidious-002 using Iguleder`s specs which he had announced and are still found from the net. I only included different kernel and some other packages, but I didnt remove anything from Iguleder`s specs.

http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/dima/inpu-002/

Download link for the Insidious 002: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Insidious002-pemasu/

It was made as a test build. The specs worked just fine. I could say it was made as an honour for Iguleder because I promised to test his specs when he went to the army.

Insidious is test bed for debian packages as it is sayed in the debian archive. Packages are tested and then replaced again.
Using woof to build another and then another Insidious would lead to the another different test build with changed packages without intent.

I would say that Insidious saga is at the end.
I wont publish Insidious-002 as its own thread because of above. There would not be any support for it. As I stated above building improved version would lead to the different version because it is test bed for rapidly changing packages.

Nevertheless, the Insidious-002 was quite successful build.
It was done during the time without profound knowledge that it lays in so rapidly moving platform and that the Insidious thread was at it`s end.

Anyone who finds Insidious-002, can test it if he/she wishes. I have reports of satisfied users. But I dont take credit of it. It was all Iguleder`s hard work which enabled the release.

I personally hope that dpup squeeze would be still continued because it is now the stable version.

Well... I won`t delete the content of my posts also, because that would ruin this thread and could also lead.......
Confusion level is not critical, I think :)

PS. gcmartin. Thank you of your kind suggestions. I will remember them in the future.
Last edited by pemasu on Sun 27 Mar 2011, 10:43, edited 3 times in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#243 Post by Flash »

You can always edit your posts to reduce confusion. :lol:

cagwait

squeeze dpup009 updated and remixed

#244 Post by cagwait »

l've done a remaster of dpup009 squeeze by iguledar.
Being a admirer of both Debian and Puppy Linux i wanted to settle on dpup on my older pc. :)
Having tried most of the original 'dpups' from gposil and squeeze dpup and insidious dpup from iguledar which i believe he is no longer maintaining due to other commitments, ive found this to be best one in my opinion.
The changelog to the original is:
The latest Firefox 3.6.15 added or Firefox 4.0rc. Seamonkey 2.06 is still available in the menu.
Upgraded to the latest Flashplayer 10.2 r151

Added Pidgin 2.7.7
Added MOC 2.4.4 music on command player with absolute classic rock radio in playlist

Removed some JWM themes and wallpapers and added some and changed default wallpaper
Fixed incorrect menu entry for meebo online messenger.

All credit must go to iguledar for all the original work he put into it ive just remastered it thats all to suit my tastes and update it.
My next challenge is to do a cut down version with maybe debians iceweasel or iceape browser and maybe my preferred fluxbox as Window manager.
Please download give it a try all comments welcome.
Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wnzzoi5e7y7s836
http://www.mediafire.com/?qq7m11kcwc27tdc with firefox 4.0rc
Last edited by cagwait on Sun 13 Mar 2011, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

nancy reagan

Re: Recommendation to author

#245 Post by nancy reagan »

gcmartin wrote: P.S. My Question: Can I use the "APT" tool in this or any PUPs to add packages from Debian? Thx

Here is pdebthing, read the post for clearer idea.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59013

James C

Re: squeeze dpup009 updated and remixed

#246 Post by James C »

cagwait wrote:l've done a remaster of dpup009 squeeze by iguledar.
Being a admirer of both Debian and Puppy Linux i wanted to settle on dpup on my older pc. :)
Having tried most of the original 'dpups' from gposil and squeeze dpup and insidious dpup from iguledar which i believe he is no longer maintaining due to other commitments, ive found this to be best one in my opinion.
The changelog to the original is:
The latest Firefox 3.6.15 added or Firefox 4.0rc. Seamonkey 2.06 is still available in the menu.
Upgraded to the latest Flashplayer 10.2 r151

Added Pidgin 2.7.7
Added MOC 2.4.4 music on command player with absolute classic rock radio in playlist

Removed some JWM themes and wallpapers and added some and changed default wallpaper
Fixed incorrect menu entry for meebo online messenger.

All credit must go to iguledar for all the original work he put into it ive just remastered it thats all to suit my tastes and update it.
My next challenge is to do a cut down version with maybe debians iceweasel or iceape browser and maybe my preferred fluxbox as Window manager.
Please download give it a try all comments welcome.
Download here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?wnzzoi5e7y7s836
http://www.mediafire.com/?qq7m11kcwc27tdc with firefox 4.0rc

It would probably be a good idea to start a new thread for these releases.Too much different stuff in a thread leads to confusion. :)

Anyway, giving the FF 3.6.15 version a quick spin live pfix=ram and looks good so far.If I get a few extra minutes I'll probably do a quick frugal install for further testing.So far so good though.

disciple

#247 Post by disciple »

P.S. My Question: Can I use the "APT" tool in this or any PUPs to add packages from Debian? Thx
Not out of the box.

I tried installing apt in Insidious Puppy 001. Finding a sources.lst (or whatever it is) was disturbingly hard, but the real problem is when I try to install something it wants to install every dependency that is already installed, because apt doesn't know about the packages that are already installed.
If I allow it to try installing them all, it doesn't know the correct order to install them in, so it keeps complains about missing dependencies. If I try to force installing all the packages I end up with a broken system.
Maybe it would be possible to write a loop which goes through all the packages repeatedly, installing whatever is possible.
Or I could do what someone posted a while back: installing apt and painstakingly going through every package that came in their Puppy to tell apt they were installed... :(

As Nancy suggests, try pdebthing - it is supposed to be able to detect installed packages in a debian or ubuntu based puppy.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

gcmartin

Re: Recommendation to author

#248 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks to both @Disciple and @Nancy Reagan for trying to help me on
My Question: Can I use the "APT" tool in this or any PUPs to add packages from Debian?
All I need now, for Debian/Ubuntu based PUPs, is to figure out how can one tell if pdebthing is installed in any PUP distro. Ideas, that you know of, would be helpful.

Question: Shouldn't all PUPs that are Debian/Ubuntu based have this installed or in the PUPs PPM?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

TrailerTrash

Isidious Pup

#249 Post by TrailerTrash »

Looks interesting as have always preferred Debian but since moving to the country am limited to 3G access so Puppies 4.31 and up are what I use.

Does Insidious Puppy include the standard 3G modem stuff? I'd like to know before I download because my downloading is limited by Verison. Good old Verison...

pemasu

#250 Post by pemasu »

TrailerTrash: Standard 3gmodem stuff is difficult sentence. Barry and Rerwin has updated 3gmodem scripts in almost every woof release. But both Insidious used those woof downloaded scripts of that time for 3gmodem handling.

Unfortunately only way is to try out.

mikeslr

Thanks pemasu

#251 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks pemasu for the remastered dpup009 which I'm downloading and excited to test. And thanks for reminding me about pdebthing.

And thank you iguleder for all the hard work you put into the contributions you've given to Puppians. Stay well.

Edit: Downloaded, unpacked into directory, Grub4dos did its thing, and dPup009 booted without a hitch. Added Wine 1.3.13-Lucid52, as it has the more user friendly Winetricks GUI. No problem. Ran Foxitreader Portable, as it has far more features than the Linux Version. Ran 7-Zip portable as I understand it better than XArchiver. Added InfoCentral, so I could access 20 years of notes. Added DaveS' Opera_Extra_distro' pet, and swapped out .mozilla for the one on my home partition, so I could maintain my bookmarks and setting regardless of which Puppy I'm in. Added JRB's SFS-TCZ-Linker-2.2 so I could use SFS's on the fly. Nothing got broken.

dPup009 seems to run faster than any other derivatives.
Now to explore the world of debian.

Thanks again pemasu & iguleder.

mikesLr

cthisbear

#252 Post by cthisbear »

" I made Insidious-002 using Iguleder`s specs "

http://brainwavedesigncentral.net/dima/inpu-002/

Sorry pemasu...I can't see it.

"""
Index of /dima/inpu-002

* Parent Directory
* DISTRO_COMPAT_REPOS-debian-sid
* DISTRO_PET_REPOS
* DISTRO_PKGS_SPECS-debian-sid
* DISTRO_SPECS
* packages-templates.tar.xz

////////

I see this >> inpu-001.iso

in the folder >> Index of /dima/insidious-001

* Parent Directory
* inpu-001.iso
* inpu_devx_001.sfs
* insidious_package_lists.tar.xz
* kernel_sources-2.6.32.26-pentium2-bfs.sfs
* md5sums.txt
* ndiswrapper-31122010-svn2728.tar.gz
* sources/

//////

I'd like to test this on USB.

Thanks mate....Chris.

pemasu

#253 Post by pemasu »

cthisbear: Yes, those are the specs I used for Insidious-002. But the Insidious 002 iso can`t be there because I don`t have access to Iguleder`s ftp sites.

So I uploaded mine build to the ftp site, I have access.

Download link for the Insidious 002:
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Insidious002-pemasu/

cthisbear

#254 Post by cthisbear »

pemasu:

Thanks mate.
I thought the Sydney smog was addling my brain.

But it's OK now though.
A prolonged diagnosis suggests that there is no brain.

Feeling so much better....and downloading now.

Boots Ok....even on this Palsonic screen.

Running fine

Cheers....Chris.

cowboy

clarity on insidious future

#255 Post by cowboy »

pemasu wrote:
I would say that Insidious saga is at the end.

Hello Pemasu.

Just to be clear = there will not be an "Insidious 3"? Or do you have any further future planned for your own efforts, based on debian, that might come from 002? Seems a shame to let it slip away. Anyway, thank you for all your work on Puppy.
[i]"you fix what you can fix and you let the rest go.."[/i] - Cormac McCarthy - No Country For Old Men.

pemasu

#256 Post by pemasu »

cowboy. Well, I was quite adamant that there wont be Insidious 003 done by me. The package base changes so often, because sid is test bed. Now they test the next debian generation. Xorg is 7.6 which havent be used in puppies so far.
And I tested it. X wont start with old xorg specs. It would need better X understanding to fix that than I have.

But never say never again......lol

sszindian

Browser Problem

#257 Post by sszindian »

Not sure if anyone can help but... I encountered a slight problem with my Iron Browser in 002.

I used to be able to open file, go to any HTML program left-click on it and it would open right up in my Iron Browser. For some reason, this function has stopped and now when I click, nothing happens... any suggestions? :(

>>>---Indian------>

taca0

#258 Post by taca0 »

I am trying to make puppy with the last packages of Sid Debian but give me error on the Rox icons , thats shows triangle red withe , question mark icons in all place.

How I solve that??

Thanks!

nooby

Re: Browser Problem

#259 Post by nooby »

sszindian wrote:Not sure if anyone can help but... I encountered a slight problem with my Iron Browser in 002.

I used to be able to open file, go to any HTML program left-click on it and it would open right up in my Iron Browser. For some reason, this function has stopped and now when I click, nothing happens... any suggestions? :(

>>>---Indian------>
I apology if I am wrong but that is not related to Insid as I get it that is how all puppy are set up so I think you are more lucky to get an answer if you ask that in teh Beginners part of the forum.

I also want to know. I remember vaguely that one need to change a config script but it can also be done by right clicking a html file and then go to Chose run action and you write iron instead of default browser.

But the right way to do it is edit the script for defaultbrowser config or something and there write iron.

But I could be badly wrong. I let the Insid guys decide but why not test what I suggested. :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sszindian

HTML No-Find

#260 Post by sszindian »

Thanks nooby!

I tried re-writing the code in default browser script and changed it to Iron but, that didn't work... if fact, I was surprized to see 'firefox' there when I went in as I never use firefox in .002. Makes me wonder if there is any worth to that script at all ?

Anyway, we'll keep after it, I'm sure something will pop up eventually! But, I guess it really won't much matter as there are no plans to continue 002. Real shame as it was (to date anyway) the 'FASTEST PUPPY' of the whole lot and really had some super features.

Oh well... that's the times we live in, hard to keep up to what's happening and I'm afraid it's not going to get any better but... for sure more interesting!

>>>---Indian------>