VMware Player 3.1.5

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
Darkgame

#31 Post by Darkgame »

must it be a 1gb sized savefile? ive tested on a 512mb savefile and it cannot run. the installer did not find the bundle file, so i use the executable to install. End up, i have a vmplayer that cannot start up. My internet connection have 3more new connection.
after restarting the computer, it works

Darkgame

#32 Post by Darkgame »

vmplayer opens, but the vm does nothing! When i tried to close the vm, it stated: the machine is busy.
Edit: Nevermind, ive got it working. But the sfs does not work!

TheAsterisk!

#33 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@Darkgame:
Frankly, I don't see how a savefile's size could affect my script. I have installed VMware and packaged it myself from a 512 MB savefile before.

Secondly, if your VMware installer ends with i386 instead of bundle, you either have the wrong file or have accidentally renamed it. That could also be why my PET isn't working- it's looking for the original filename, but whatever you have isn't named correctly.

Thirdly, the pinstall.sh script in my PET does more than just execute the VMware bundle. It makes a few extra directories, and maybe an empty file, too. VMware Player will not run unless you have already made these directories.
The bundle by itself doesn't install neatly. It needs that extra help.

Finally, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm fairly sure you've done something wrong, but I can't figure out what (besides guessing you have the wrong filename) because you I can't understand from your posts what you have or haven't done with what files when.

Darkgame

#34 Post by Darkgame »

so can u post the link to the bundle in vmware's site? That should not be illegal and bundle is not easy to find.
Edit: or u can post the name of that bundle, i will rename it to that. VM site stated its a bundle file, and firefox stated it too. I think ive renamed it.
Sorry for yr inconvience, but i just want to play my games from a usb flashdrive when i go to my friends house, and sorry for my bad english.

Darkgame

#35 Post by Darkgame »

ok. redownloaded bundle. Everything goes well. The pet launch the bundle while installing. I cant install graphic drivers, its another problem lol. Made an sfs, gonna try tomorrow.
And, thanks alot. Hoped yr not angry!
Edit: just found out my graphic drivers pets are corrupted lol. I ran the script you have posted. The SFS does not work. Might try vmplayer 3.1.3

DanYHKim

I am very grateful for your work here

#36 Post by DanYHKim »

Thank you all so much for your contributions here. I was getting really bummed that I couldn't get VMware Player to install and run.

If it's not inappropriate, I'd like to point to a post of mine about installing VMware Player at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 112#462112

This post has some tips on 'fixing' the .desktop file, which never shows the icon in the menu. Also there's a bit on redirecting the Temp directory.

(Note, my tips may be out of date, since they're for earlier versions of Puppy and VMplayer)[/quote]

Luluc

#37 Post by Luluc »

I am trying, once again, to migrate to Puppy. But I MUST have VMplayer working. I still have all the problems I mentioned before: VMplayer refuses to run and complains about gconf errors, installing hald does not solve it, and I still lose my "spot" user, which I need to run the browser.

Darkgame

#38 Post by Darkgame »

Luluc wrote:I am trying, once again, to migrate to Puppy. But I MUST have VMplayer working. I still have all the problems I mentioned before: VMplayer refuses to run and complains about gconf errors, installing hald does not solve it, and I still lose my "spot" user, which I need to run the browser.
load the kernel and devx sfs before doing anything. Then install vmplayer via the pet. I got this working but not the sfs

Luluc

#39 Post by Luluc »

Oh... I have managed to install it with the pet installer. But then the whole thing is installed and uses up too much space on the puppy save file. I was looking forward to using the SFS... :cry:

666philb

#40 Post by 666philb »

hi luluc

i use this to unzip .pets http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32575
once unzipped, open a terminal in the window where the unzipped .pet is, and type

Code: Select all

dir2sfs nameoffolder
It's best to do this all in /mnt/home/ so that the .sfs isn't created inside the save file.
there is actually a .pet that does all this automatically, but i can't remember it's name.

666philb
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Luluc

#41 Post by Luluc »

666philb wrote:hi luluc

i use this to unzip .pets http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=32575
once unzipped, open a terminal in the window where the unzipped .pet is, and type

dir2sfs nameoffolder
It's best to do this all in /mnt/home/ so that the .sfs isn't created inside the save file.
there is actually a .pet that does all this automatically, but i can't remember it's name.

666philb
Thanks, but I don't understand the purpose of the operation you propose. Are you suggesting I make an SFS out of the .pet? There seems to be a misunderstanding: the .pet is an installer, which sort of "slipstreams" the official VMplayer .bundle file into Puppy. Just the .pet by itself is useless.

666philb

#42 Post by 666philb »

luluc

sorry i misunderstood,... on the first page of this topic there are instructions and a tar.gz script that will make the installed vmware player into an .sfs . Once done you can uninstall the .pet. and get your 300mb's of space back.
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

Luluc

#43 Post by Luluc »

Well, I just tried it again. Reinstalled Puppy from scratched, VMplayer was the FIRST thing I installed, to make sure there would be enough room for it in my pupsave file. Everything worked fine, except the SFS stage. The SFS now works (hald is required), but whenever that one specific SFS is loaded, the "spot" user gets blocked. I wish someone would figure that one out. I can't, I am still a newbie in these mysterious Puppy procedures.

So I have to keep VMplayer fully installed, and now I have very, very little space left for other stuff. I guess I will have to make a bigger pupsave file, which is not so good, because I plan to keep two alternate backups, so it's three times as much additional space expenditure.

TheAsterisk!

#44 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Luluc wrote:Well, I just tried it again. Reinstalled Puppy from scratched, VMplayer was the FIRST thing I installed, to make sure there would be enough room for it in my pupsave file. Everything worked fine, except the SFS stage. The SFS now works (hald is required), but whenever that one specific SFS is loaded, the "spot" user gets blocked. I wish someone would figure that one out. I can't, I am still a newbie in these mysterious Puppy procedures.

So I have to keep VMplayer fully installed, and now I have very, very little space left for other stuff. I guess I will have to make a bigger pupsave file, which is not so good, because I plan to keep two alternate backups, so it's three times as much additional space expenditure.
I cannot for the life of me figure out why the VMware sfs kills Spot (it does it to me too), but as a quick workaround, you could aways put the actual VMware files elsewhere on your computer- another partition or something, maybe- and symlink those to the proper locations.
If the regular install does not meddle with Spot, please let me know that, and I can just make an alternate installer script for you (and others, if they like) that places the VMware files into /mnt/home/some_subdir/ instead, and then links those back into the savefile. That should keep your pupsave from getting too crowded.

I'll get on it now, and if you like the idea, I'll upload the script for you. Let me know!

Luluc

#45 Post by Luluc »

Yes, I would like to move and symlink vmplayer out of my pupsave file. If you just tell me where it is, i.e. what files need to be moved, that's fine. A script wouldn't be bad at all though. It likely would be more useful to more people, and I can read almost any shell scripting language, I can certainly get the information I want from your script.

Thank you for your attention.

TheAsterisk!

#46 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Luluc wrote:Yes, I would like to move and symlink vmplayer out of my pupsave file. If you just tell me where it is, i.e. what files need to be moved, that's fine. A script wouldn't be bad at all though. It likely would be more useful to more people, and I can read almost any shell scripting language, I can certainly get the information I want from your script.
Sorry, it took me a while to get around to this. There have been some health issues in the family to deal with.

I've just finished testing a new script that installs to a /mnt/home/ subdirectory and symlinks back to the normal paths. VMplayer works, and it doesn't impact additional or limited users, unlike the SFS did.

I'll upload the revised dot-pet before I go to sleep tonight. (I might remove the older dot-pet and maybe the SFS-creation script from my modest little FTP account, but if I do that and if anyone needs them, for whatever reason, just send me a PM.)
Thank you for your attention.
Hey, no problem!

EDIT: Alright, I've not yet tested the uninstallation process very thoroughly, but here it is, if you want to give it a shot.
vmware_player-3.1.4-385536-i386_alt.pet
md5sum
It's also in the first post, now updated to reflect the additional installation option.

As with the previous dot-pets, a copy of the associated version of VMware's *.bundle installer must be placed in "/mnt/home/" for the script to work.
It will install as normal, then move most of the files into a /mnt/home subdirectory. (Some files, like those under /etc, are still located in the more conventional places.)

Sometimes is seems like symlinks make the world go 'round, eh? :lol:

Let me know if that does it, or if there's more that needs to be done! :)
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

TheAsterisk!

#47 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@Luluc: Just in case you still want it, even with the new dot-pet and scripts, I'll attach a list of the files that got put into the SFS with the older script.

I haven't labeled which files are/were symlinks, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure that out easily enough.

Let me know if there's anything else amiss about the list or the newer dot-pet!
Attachments
vmplayer-3.1.4_sfs.list.txt.gz
List of all files and directories in "vmware_player-3.1.4-385536-i386.sfs"
(651 Bytes) Downloaded 925 times

TheAsterisk!

#48 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Alright, well, scrap that idea. The /mnt/home dot-pet might work for an individual's use case, but now I'm getting the same error trying to switch to "spot" in a terminal in Luci 528, and I don't actually have any version of VMware installed right now.

That being said, I do combine SFS modules regularly, just to save some time and trouble for myself, and I do have a few of those loaded. I'm beginning to think the permissions error that keeps me and others from switching to "spot" isn't something specific about VMware as an SFS, but just the way Puppy is loading and handling them in general, or once they reach or exceed a certain size, etc.

Of course, it could just as easily be related to the devx and kernel_src SFS modules. I really have no idea what's going on here, and if it's going to get resolved I think we'll need the help of some real Puppy gurus, not just me and my little shell scripts.

If anyone knows which forum or contact method would be best suited to this, or if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know- or forge ahead on your own, if you'd like. I'm afraid there's not much more I can do except provide some information if needed.

Here's the error more or less as it looks in the terminal:

# su spot
su: chdir(/): Permission denied
Actually changing the permissions of "/" - besides potentially defeating the purpose of running as "spot" - doesn't seem to do much, either.

I can also add additional users (I tried "rintintin"), but when attempting to switch to those users, the same error as above is returned.

:( Sorry, guys.

sotris99

#49 Post by sotris99 »

where can i download kernel . sfs for puppy 528

TheAsterisk!

#50 Post by TheAsterisk! »

sotris99 wrote:where can i download kernel . sfs for puppy 528
Launch Quickpet (Menu --> Setup --> Setup Puppy --> Quickpet...) and click on the tab named "Sfs Get." (Quickpet will then download it, but I don't remember which folder it saves it to.)

Once you've done that, you install and load it like any other SFS file for Puppy.