VMware Player 3.1.5

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
TheAsterisk!

#46 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Luluc wrote:Yes, I would like to move and symlink vmplayer out of my pupsave file. If you just tell me where it is, i.e. what files need to be moved, that's fine. A script wouldn't be bad at all though. It likely would be more useful to more people, and I can read almost any shell scripting language, I can certainly get the information I want from your script.
Sorry, it took me a while to get around to this. There have been some health issues in the family to deal with.

I've just finished testing a new script that installs to a /mnt/home/ subdirectory and symlinks back to the normal paths. VMplayer works, and it doesn't impact additional or limited users, unlike the SFS did.

I'll upload the revised dot-pet before I go to sleep tonight. (I might remove the older dot-pet and maybe the SFS-creation script from my modest little FTP account, but if I do that and if anyone needs them, for whatever reason, just send me a PM.)
Thank you for your attention.
Hey, no problem!

EDIT: Alright, I've not yet tested the uninstallation process very thoroughly, but here it is, if you want to give it a shot.
vmware_player-3.1.4-385536-i386_alt.pet
md5sum
It's also in the first post, now updated to reflect the additional installation option.

As with the previous dot-pets, a copy of the associated version of VMware's *.bundle installer must be placed in "/mnt/home/" for the script to work.
It will install as normal, then move most of the files into a /mnt/home subdirectory. (Some files, like those under /etc, are still located in the more conventional places.)

Sometimes is seems like symlinks make the world go 'round, eh? :lol:

Let me know if that does it, or if there's more that needs to be done! :)
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 06:20, edited 1 time in total.

TheAsterisk!

#47 Post by TheAsterisk! »

@Luluc: Just in case you still want it, even with the new dot-pet and scripts, I'll attach a list of the files that got put into the SFS with the older script.

I haven't labeled which files are/were symlinks, but I'm sure you'll be able to figure that out easily enough.

Let me know if there's anything else amiss about the list or the newer dot-pet!
Attachments
vmplayer-3.1.4_sfs.list.txt.gz
List of all files and directories in "vmware_player-3.1.4-385536-i386.sfs"
(651 Bytes) Downloaded 925 times

TheAsterisk!

#48 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Alright, well, scrap that idea. The /mnt/home dot-pet might work for an individual's use case, but now I'm getting the same error trying to switch to "spot" in a terminal in Luci 528, and I don't actually have any version of VMware installed right now.

That being said, I do combine SFS modules regularly, just to save some time and trouble for myself, and I do have a few of those loaded. I'm beginning to think the permissions error that keeps me and others from switching to "spot" isn't something specific about VMware as an SFS, but just the way Puppy is loading and handling them in general, or once they reach or exceed a certain size, etc.

Of course, it could just as easily be related to the devx and kernel_src SFS modules. I really have no idea what's going on here, and if it's going to get resolved I think we'll need the help of some real Puppy gurus, not just me and my little shell scripts.

If anyone knows which forum or contact method would be best suited to this, or if anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know- or forge ahead on your own, if you'd like. I'm afraid there's not much more I can do except provide some information if needed.

Here's the error more or less as it looks in the terminal:

Code: Select all

# su spot
su: chdir(/): Permission denied
Actually changing the permissions of "/" - besides potentially defeating the purpose of running as "spot" - doesn't seem to do much, either.

I can also add additional users (I tried "rintintin"), but when attempting to switch to those users, the same error as above is returned.

:( Sorry, guys.

sotris99

#49 Post by sotris99 »

where can i download kernel . sfs for puppy 528

TheAsterisk!

#50 Post by TheAsterisk! »

sotris99 wrote:where can i download kernel . sfs for puppy 528
Launch Quickpet (Menu --> Setup --> Setup Puppy --> Quickpet...) and click on the tab named "Sfs Get." (Quickpet will then download it, but I don't remember which folder it saves it to.)

Once you've done that, you install and load it like any other SFS file for Puppy.

TheAsterisk!

#51 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Update to version 3.1.5 coming in the next hour or so.

I tried to get version 4.0.0 (EDIT: also tried 4.0.1, 4.0.2) going, but it claims to need 64-bit compatibility and extensions, though I ran the 32-bit installer. I'll tinker with that a bit later, but 3.1.4 --> 3.1.5 will have to do for now.

- - - - - - - - - -

UPDATED to version 3.1.5

Files for versions 3.1.3 and 3.1.4 still available @ http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... re_Player/

Main Post Updated
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

theblackpig

VMware Player

#52 Post by theblackpig »

Hi,
I'm new to puppy and I'm trying to install Vmware. I'm using puppy Dpup Exprimo 5.X.9
I've read the first post , My bundle is in mnt/home.
I've downloaded vmplayer-3.1.5_sfs_script.tar.gz BUT how do I extract it?

TheAsterisk!

Re: VMware Player

#53 Post by TheAsterisk! »

theblackpig wrote:Hi,
I'm new to puppy and I'm trying to install Vmware. I'm using puppy Dpup Exprimo 5.X.9
I've read the first post , My bundle is in mnt/home.
I've downloaded vmplayer-3.1.5_sfs_script.tar.gz BUT how do I extract it?
OPTION 1:
In the file browser, go to "/mnt/home" and open up a terminal there. Run

Code: Select all

tar -zxvf /mnt/home/vmplayer-3.1.5_sfs_script.tar.gz
in the terminal.

OPTION 2:
Most Puppies come with Xarchive or a similar archiver utility, which you can use to extract my script and files. Usually their menu entries are under "Utility" or "Filesystem" in Puppy's main menu. Just use the archiver that came with your puplet.

TheAsterisk!

#54 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I've just stumbled onto something that may make life a bit easier for you VMware Player users out there.

http://megastep.org/makeself/

Basically, it's a tool that could make it easier to bundle my archived installer scripts into self-extracting, perhaps even self-executing files. If I'm reading this all correctly, You'd just download one file, run it, and there'd be no mucking about with placing my archives in the correct places, extracting them by hand, etc.

I'm just stunned nobody has ever happened to mention such a thing to me. If it delivers what it promises, it could be magnificent.

I'll investigate further, and let you all know if it pans out.

tatamata

#55 Post by tatamata »

"For the dotpet to work, place a copy of the VMware *.bundle into /mnt/home, and then install the pet package. "
What does it mean?
What is "VMware *.bundle"?

TheAsterisk!

#56 Post by TheAsterisk! »

tatamata wrote:"For the dotpet to work, place a copy of the VMware *.bundle into /mnt/home, and then install the pet package. "
What does it mean?
What is "VMware *.bundle"?
The "*.bundle" is the VMware installer, available from their website. I can't redistribute it, according to their software license, so you'll have to download it yourself.
http://www.vmware.com/products/player/
When you download it, make sure you choose the same version as listed in my posts and dot-pets, or else it won't work.

("*.bundle" just means that the file extension is "bundle," and the asterisk just stands for the rest of the file name.)

----------------------

@everyone else:
I still haven't seriously tried out the makeself utility/script I mentioned a post of two back- I got diverted by a few other things- but I'll try that out today.

In other news, switching to the limited user "spot" once again works (:D) for me on Slacko-531, using the same SFS as I used on Lucid, so it may have been at least partly a Lucid-specific issue.

TheAsterisk!

#57 Post by TheAsterisk! »

TheAsterisk! wrote:I tried to get version 4.0.0 (EDIT: also tried 4.0.1, 4.0.2) going, but it claims to need 64-bit compatibility and extensions, though I ran the 32-bit installer.
I don't remember reading it back when I tried the first time, but the manual does (now) say that the VMware Player 4-series requires a 64-bit processor. I'd assume, then, that the "i386" *.bundle is just meant for a 32-bit host running on an x86-64 processor.

If ever I get ahold of some 64-bit hardware, I'll revisit the newer releases, but version 3.1.5 is the latest you'll get for 32-bit Puppies on 32-bit hardware.

TheAsterisk!

#58 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Just finished my personal migration to the new Slacko, which runs on a 3-series kernel.

VMware Player 3.1.5 refuses work on 3-series kernels. Judging by the errors produced, they may have hard-coded in an expectation for the 2.6-series kernels.

I'll try a few things, make sure it's not just me, and get back here with more information in a bit. I'll add a cautionary note to the main post in the meantime, though.