Laptops using Puppy: No sound? Check this first.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer audio hardware
dilei

Laptops using Puppy: No sound? Check this first.

#1 Post by dilei »

I have a dv4 laptop. Puppy is working great for me, however I was having a hard time getting sound.

After going though the ALSA sound wizard several times and choosing different options there, I could not get my audio working (even though audio devices were detected, and I could see the volume control in the taskbar).

I read in some blog I should try connecting earphones, and wow! I got sound! So sound card was Ok...

I still had a problem: speakers not working.

Going through the setup options, I finally got it: there is a volume control for speakers which seems to be silenced by default that I had to enable. How to do this?

1) Right-click on the sound icon in the taskbar.
2) CONFIG WINDOW
3) Tab Hardware
4) Choose Speaker Playback Volume from the Inactive Sliders list and press the arrow pointing left so it moves to Active Sliders.
5) Apply changes.
6) Right-click on the sound icon in the taskbar.
7) FULL WINDOW.
8) You should now see the volume control for the speakers.

I'm just starting with Linux and Puppy and this is probably useful only for newbies, but it would have saved me some hours so here it goes.

Regards,
dilei

beagle

ACER Aspire one netbook running LUPU 5.1.1

#2 Post by beagle »

Thanks . This idea worked just great. The sound is OK now. Works with internet radio, mplayer, and vlc. javascript:emoticon(':D')

duck1dong

#3 Post by duck1dong »

If you dont have a setup option(no sound icon) for those users with this problem even if ALSA wizard detects a sound card, in my case four, the actual ALSA wizard working is irrelevant if Linux wont work with my windows 98 soundcard. Im not saying this is the issue, but it does seem to be. ALSA seems to want to work with the cards I want, but still no ability to get any sound. I suspect the wrong sound card, which has been said by some other users that also have old HP pavilion computers.