deleting previous saved sessions ON DVD?

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
cmbs

#16 Post by cmbs »

Shep wrote:
linuxsansdisquedur wrote:so use puppy live cd/dvd/rw or usb with pupsave on it (no linux trace on pc) and just save your files on your ntfs hd :wink:
Yes, sounds suitable. OP will have to mount the windows HD before linux can save the text file to it. This might involve nothing more than clicking the HD icon. Try that, and see whether linux can see your windows files and that you can navigate through directories.

If you don't want to have linux writing to your HD, you could use a USB thumb drive and have windows and linux both write to it. Format it so that both op sys can read it. I think that means fat32 but you'd better read up and check (or just try and see).
They can both read and write to a dvd and cd. That isn't the problem. The problem is that the iso file uses up the entire disk, no space is left over for anything else. I don't know if the iso file always uses up an entire disk or not, but it did on these I burned.

I can't burn an iso file to a thumb drive, or I don't know how. Everything I have seen only works on dvds or cds. If I did manage it, would there be any space left over? Don't know.

Also, even though my computer has an option to boot from a usb flash drive, I can't get it to do so. Spent hours yesterday trying. If I can get it to boot from the thumb drive, I can partition it and put linux on a part and have the rest for any other files I want. Yes, FAT32 will be the file system of choice for the shared partition.

Puppy Linux has a program that supposedly makes the flash drive look like a different type of drive to the computer (so it will load, and also to help Windows read it correctly), and supposedly will burn the iso to the thumb drive. I'm going to mess with that a little bit today.

linuxsansdisquedur

#17 Post by linuxsansdisquedur »

most puppy iso are about 100Mo :shock:
you have to use multissession burning to be able to use the left place on cd/dvd. :wink:
I 've used sometime unetbootin to convert an iso on usb stick :idea:
to boot on usb support you have to change boot option on bios or use the keys indicated on boot :arrow:
le max avec le min

cmbs

#18 Post by cmbs »

If anyone's interested, I figured out how to have a bootable Puppy Linux usb flash drive with a FAT32 partition that both Linux and Windows can access. So you can save your session files on the second partition, plus any other files, and access them with either OS. Also works with an SD card and card reader.

I put how to instructions here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 459#473459