Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 30 Jul 2014, 22:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Firefox 3.6.12
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
chrome307

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov 2010, 07:53    Post subject:  Firefox 3.6.12
Subject description: Compiled for 4.31

This does not create a *.desktop file as it assumes that you already have Firefox installed.

It's approx 11mb:

http://www.mediafire.com/?6jsvziri6f213qk
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Tue 30 Nov 2010, 21:42    Post subject:  

I don't see why a pet is needed, Firefox can be updated from it's check for updates tab, or if you need the latest version download the firefox-3.6.12.tar.bz2 extract it, then copy the firefox folder and paste it in /usr/lib and when it asks if you want to replace existing files, tell it all, thats the way I've always done it , works just as well as there is nothing to compile.

Here is the downloadhttp://www.mozilla.com/products/download.html?product=firefox-3.6.12&os=linux&lang=en-US

Edit:

As you say, this is if you already have firefox installed, but if you don't and you wish it install it all manually then you will need to create a FireFox.desktop file in /usr/share/applications and create a system link to /usr/lib/firefox/firefox and place it in /usr/bin, this is my FireFox.desktop
Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=FireFox web browser
Icon=www48.png
Comment=FireFox web browser
Exec=firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
GenericName=FireFox web browser
MimeType=text/html;

If you wish to change the icon edit the FireFox.desktop to either create a path [ Icon=/where/ever/the/icon/is/icon.png ] or [ Icon=icon.png ] and place the icon you wish to use in /usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/icon.png "

Who needs pets, this is more fun and you will get to know your file system.
chrome307

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 07:41    Post subject:  

Geoffrey the reason I have compiled a *.PET file was that I am using a cut down version of Puppy Linux which had Firefox 3.5.4 installed. When I attempted to update it, it failed to do so and informed me that I needed to download the application to install.
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 08:44    Post subject:  

chrome307
I see, yes that version of firefox was quite old, I guess that the update for it is possibly no longer available.

I just thought it was a good opportunity to mention that there were other ways to update and create installations without the need to use a pet package, it could possibly help a little those who are new to linux get their heads around how some of the file system is constructed and functions.

Geoffrey
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 02 Dec 2010, 09:14    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
it could possibly help a little those who are new to linux get their heads around how some of the file system is constructed and functions.

Geoffrey

plus it means people dont need an old firefox to get a new one, and this pet could go in a repo somewhere... also bonuses of pets..

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed 29 Dec 2010, 08:01    Post subject: Firefox updater
Subject description: update any firefox to the latest Firefox en-US 3.6.13

I wrote a script that will update Firefox to Firefox en-US 3.6.13, this will work to update older versions.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
yaf-splash -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "Downloading Firefox...Please Wait!" &
wget -P /tmp/firefox_install http://pv-mirror01.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest-3.6/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-3.6.13.tar.bz2
killall yaf-splash
cd /tmp/firefox_install
tar xjf firefox-3.6.13.tar.bz2
yaf-splash -timeout 3 -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "Installing Firefox en-US 3.6.13"
rm -r /usr/lib/firefox
mv firefox /usr/lib/
yaf-splash -timeout 3 -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "Firefox is now Installed"
rm -r /tmp/firefox_install

The script can be changed to suit any newer versions as they are released.

I tried making it as a pet with a menu entry as a full install, this does work but if uninstalled with the package manager it doesn't remove the firefox directory from /usr/lib, this is due to the file txt in .packages not having a full listing of firefox's files and sub directories, I can't seem to find a solution to that as it is expecting to find a empty directory, anyway someone might find this useful.

Edit:

I had another look at this script, it will now download all firefox 3.6 en-US new releases as they are updated on the mozilla web site.

The new code for the script
Code:
#!/bin/bash
yaf-splash -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "  Downloading The Latest Firefox-3.6.xx Please Wait!" &
wget -P /tmp/firefox_install http://pv-mirror01.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest-3.6/linux-i686/en-US/ -r -l1 --no-parent -A.tar.bz2
killall yaf-splash
cd /tmp/firefox_install/pv-mirror01.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest-3.6/linux-i686/en-US/
for i in *.tar.bz2; do tar -xvjf "$i";
yaf-splash -timeout 5 -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "Installing $i" ;done
rm -r /usr/lib/firefox
mv firefox /usr/lib/
yaf-splash -timeout 3 -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "Firefox is now Updated"

This maybe more useful than the previous script as it only has a short life span before the next update.
firefox-3.6-updater.tar.gz
Description  updated see next post
gz

Download 
Filename  firefox-3.6-updater.tar.gz 
Filesize  502 Bytes 
Downloaded  264 Time(s) 

Last edited by Geoffrey on Wed 05 Jan 2011, 10:02; edited 2 times in total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed 05 Jan 2011, 07:29    Post subject:  

I have changed the script once again, just can't help myself, just needed to make it a little better in how the messaging performed, now tells which version is installing without the "tar.bz2" on the file name and confirms that it is the correct version that has been installed.
Code:
#!/bin/bash
yaf-splash -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "  Downloading The Latest Firefox-3.6.xx Please Wait!" &
wget -P /tmp/firefox_install http://pv-mirror01.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest-3.6/linux-i686/en-US/ -r -l1 --no-parent -A.tar.bz2
killall yaf-splash
cd /tmp/firefox_install/pv-mirror01.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest-3.6/linux-i686/en-US/
for i in *.tar.bz2; do tar -xvjf "$i";
file="$i"
yaf-splash -timeout 5 -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "Installing ${file%%.tar.bz2*}" ;done
rm -r /usr/lib/firefox
mv firefox /usr/lib/
version=`/usr/lib/firefox/firefox --version `
yaf-splash -timeout 5 -placement center -bg yellow -fontsize x-large -text "   Firefox is now updated to...    $version"

uploaded this version to previous post
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Browsers and Internet
Jump to: