Grub4dos : make it easy

Core libraries and systems
Pelo

Grub4dos : make it easy

#1 Post by Pelo »

see the topic.
Grub4dos is in the menu 'System'. Users will search in this category.
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1.pet: 186 K joined
Attachments
Grub4Dos.png
version 1.9.1
(79.74 KiB) Downloaded 818 times
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1.pet
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.1.pet: 186 K
(185.06 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 07:06, edited 3 times in total.

Pelo

cutting edge section grub4dosconfig

#2 Post by Pelo »

cutting edge section grub4dosconfig 25 pages of useful information, and new pets.
Rcrsn51 information about grub4Dos Ubuntu

Pelo

To boot in RAM

#3 Post by Pelo »

To boot in RAM when only one pupsave exists, just create another one or change the name of existing pupsave by adding an X before.. It's my way. There are others, many others (add pfix=ram in menu.lst for instance).
Topic 'boot options' here.
Attachments
pupsave.jpg
We need none as a choice
(69.95 KiB) Downloaded 352 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 20 Aug 2017, 01:54, edited 2 times in total.

mikeslr

Boot pfix=RAM is on Grub4dos Advanced Menu

#4 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Pelo,

After posting many times to suggest menu.lst be edited to provide a "pfix=ram" schema, I just recently stumbled upon this, myself.

When Grub4dos is installed it automatically (unless you tell it not to) creates a menu.lst and a menu-advanced.lst. I never bothered to check what was on the menu-advanced.lst. The last entry on menu.lst is

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
configfile /menu-advanced.lst
commandline

Commandline seemed threatening. :oops:

But having finally overcome my fear, I selected it and was rewarded with a display of further boot options, the second one titled

title Puppy tahr64 6.0.5.3 (sda4/tahr64) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave

and having as its Kernel line

kernel /tahr64/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=tahr64 pfix=ram

Yours may differ depending upon which Puppy you used to install grub4dos. I had used tahrpup64.

mikesLr

Pelo

The best have their 'talon d'Achille'

#5 Post by Pelo »

:) The best have their 'talon d'Achille'
Attachments
grub.jpg
For newbies,
(44.65 KiB) Downloaded 607 times

nic007

Re: Boot pfix=RAM is on Grub4dos Advanced Menu

#6 Post by nic007 »

mikeslr wrote:Hi Pelo,

After posting many times to suggest menu.lst be edited to provide a "pfix=ram" schema, I just recently stumbled upon this, myself.

When Grub4dos is installed it automatically (unless you tell it not to) creates a menu.lst and a menu-advanced.lst. I never bothered to check what was on the menu-advanced.lst. The last entry on menu.lst is

# Advanced Menu
title Advanced menu
configfile /menu-advanced.lst
commandline

Commandline seemed threatening. :oops:

But having finally overcome my fear, I selected it and was rewarded with a display of further boot options, the second one titled

title Puppy tahr64 6.0.5.3 (sda4/tahr64) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave

and having as its Kernel line

kernel /tahr64/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=tahr64 pfix=ram

Yours may differ depending upon which Puppy you used to install grub4dos. I had used tahrpup64.

mikesLr
Older Grub4Dos created the two entries in the "normal" menu.lst automatically ie. the bootoption that loads the savefile automatically if there is one AND the RAM mode entry.

Pelo

psubdir=LXQT pfix=ram

#7 Post by Pelo »

I don't understand well what you mean both due to my lacks in English and Linux knowledge
There is this in advanced menu.lst. I consider it should be included in menu.lst, not by hand but by grub4dosconfig

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdd1/LXQT) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
uuid B758-E6AA
kernel /LXQT/vmlinuz psubdir=LXQT pfix=ram
initrd /LXQT/initrd.gz

Creating an empty pupsavefile is an 'astuce' for waiting devs doing the necessary. :twisted: just to kick.. :)
I make a try.. perhaps that wil break everything. I dont know.. feed back soon if my laptop not exploded

Post-scriptum : 'astuce' means 'cunning' regarding Google translation
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 04 Aug 2017, 17:53, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

perfect.. Ram is offered as a choice at boot.

#8 Post by Pelo »

perfect.. Ram is offered as a choice at boot. Laptop alive.
Why not only 'advanced menu list'.
perhaps newbies will be disturbed. That is possible. Are there newbies nowadays ? coming from Windows... Perhaps i was the last one.

nic007

Re: psubdir=LXQT pfix=ram

#9 Post by nic007 »

Pelo wrote:I don't understand well what you mean both to lacks in English and Linux knowledge
There is this in advanced menu.lst. I consider it should be included in menu.lst, not by hand but by grub4dosconfig

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdd1/LXQT) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
uuid B758-E6AA
initrd /LXQT/initrd.gz

Creating an empty pupsavefile is an 'astuce' for waiting devs doing the necessary. :twisted: just to kick.. :)
I make a try.. perhaps that wil break everything. I dont know.. feed back soon is my laptop not exploded
You can have two entries of the same puppy in menu.lst - one with pfix=RAM which will boot in ram mode and the other one without pfix-RAM which will boot the savefile if present. So in your example, you will basically have the same entry added, just without pfix=RAM. You can remove the RAM mode description in the name of the title of the new listing. When you boot, you choose which one to boot. You don't need any advanced menu.lst. Attached an example what I'm talking about.
Attachments
Example menu.lst.zip
(390 Bytes) Downloaded 301 times

Pelo

do it as the standard menu.lst.

#10 Post by Pelo »

i fully agree, nic007. Why they did not do it as the standard menu.lst. newbies would not have to script something in english.
Many people here hardly imagine most of users don't even speak english, and we are translators.
Yet that is true, it's easy. For me too. but not for my family, my friends,
Do it ready for use, forget programming..

nic007

Re: do it as the standard menu.lst.

#11 Post by nic007 »

Pelo wrote:i fully agree, nic007. Why they did not do it as the standard menu.lst. newbies would not have to script something in english.
Many people here hardly imagine most of users don't even speak english, and we are translators.
Yet that is true, it's easy. For me too. but not for my family, my friends,
Do it ready for use, forget programming..
Some of the older grub4dos versions DO create the two entries automatically in the standard menu when grub is installed. I'm not sure what the newer versions do, I haven't used them. Test for you if you have a new version of grub4dos - at install of grub4dos, choose the option (I think there will be one) not to have an additional advanced menu.lst created. Maybe it will then create the two entries automatically in the "standard" menu.lst? Can you check this please and report back. Thanks

Pelo

/menu-advanced.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.1

#12 Post by Pelo »

ok nic007, I will verify..
menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.1 : Ram option not in menu.lst

Cut and paste it from advanced menu to standard menu.lst. :idea: that is what i would like to be done by the author, for our thousands of passengers ignoring English and Linux science ( :!: but Puppy Lovers however).

# /menu-advanced.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.1

title Back to the main menu
configfile /menu.lst
commandline

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdb1/LXQT) Safe mode (without X)\nTry 'xorgwizard' after bootup succeed to start graphic mode.
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /LXQT/initrd.gz
kernel /LXQT/vmlinuz psubdir=LXQT pfix=ram,nox nosmp noapic i915.modeset=0 radeon.modeset=0 nouveau.modeset=0
initrd /LXQT/initrd.gz

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdb1/LXQT) RAM mode\nBoot up Puppy without pupsave
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /LXQT/initrd.gz
initrd /LXQT/initrd.gz

# Multiple Windows

title Previous menu(sdb1/menu-2017-08-04-123652.lst)
uuid B758-E6AA
configfile /menu-2017-08-04-123652.lst
commandline

# Boot from Partition Boot Sector

title Puppy lxqtpup 14.12 (sdd1/LXQT) RAM modenBoot up Puppy without pupsave (sdb1:PBS)
uuid B758-E6AA
chainloader +1

title Boot from sda (ATA ST9500325AS )
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0)+1

# additionals
title Bootup from HDD\nBootup from the master boot record of the hard disk drive
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
chainloader (hd0)+1

title Find Grub menu on HDD
map (hd1) (hd0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map --hook
errorcheck off
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /menu.lst && configfile /menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/menu.lst && configfile /boot/grub/menu.lst
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /grub/menu.lst && configfile /grub/menu.lst
errorcheck on
commandline

title Find Grub2\nBoot up grub2 if installed
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /boot/grub/core.img
kernel /boot/grub/core.img

title Grub4Dos commandline\n(for experts only)
commandline

title Reboot computer
reboot

title Halt computer
halt
Attachments
ram .jpg
menu.lst produced by grub4dosconfig-v1.9.1
(45.86 KiB) Downloaded 450 times

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

Okay, but you can always use an older grub4dos. :wink: Mind you, if I remember correctly, the older grub4dos does not pick up all the puppys installed automatically so you have to add them to the list. So it seems there are indeficiencies in both old and newer versions. :( I agree with you - better to have everything (all entries and options) in one standard menu.lst, unnecessary to have and extra advanced one.

Pelo

What a wonderful tool,

#14 Post by Pelo »

We agree. That is the first step..
What a wonderful tool, no need to format, everything keeps alive, Grub4dos needs only to get a nice boot, and some details as described above.

Personally i know how to do
;
A programmer must either gets tests by really newbies, or imagine himself as a newbie.. That is what i try to do, due lack of feed back from our thousands of passengers.

bigpup

#15 Post by bigpup »

As a user of Puppy for a long time and someone that tries to help new Puppy users.

I disagree.

The menu-advanced.lst was added to Grub4dos to provide
Advanced boot options.
New users of Puppy do not need to see or use these options, until they get some understanding of how Puppy works.
For them, it will just cause problems they do not understand.

The menu.lst is the normal boot entries.
Those are all you usually need to use.

A lot of work was done to Grub4dos boot loader to improve how it works in detecting what is on the computer and making a correct menu entry.
If you are not using the latest version you should.
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

I am sure you understand the edit menu feature at the end of running Grub4dos Config.
That is for people that understand the menu and how it is used. People that like to do things the way they want them.
I always edit out the Windows stuff.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Pelo

just the option Ram in menu.lst would be fine

#16 Post by Pelo »

just the option Ram in menu.lst would be fine. Because adding pfix=ram in script or creating a second pupsave will not be guessed by a newbie. Generally they don't register in our forum. Not sure they read it.
The problem exists only when pupsave is alone, accessd to Ram comes backs as soon as a second pupsave is created (option 0, pupsave 1, pupsave 2, 3.4...)
Attachments
boot.png
Advanced options
(13.58 KiB) Downloaded 299 times
Last edited by Pelo on Fri 18 Aug 2017, 07:13, edited 4 times in total.

Pelo

People without windows can erase windows chapters

#17 Post by Pelo »

People without windows can erase windows chapters : Yes or no ?
"At least one item of Windows menu are displayed here no matter they are installed or not. Erase the items if you do not need boot up Windows. But the last (was 'top' before v1.8) entry is recommended to leave. Especially in case you install Grub4Dos on removable devices because they might be useful with other PC's.
Duplicated folder names""

bigpup

#18 Post by bigpup »

Yes and no.

If Windows is on the computer and you are using Grub4dos as the primary (only) boot loader.
Windows entries need to stay.

If Windows is not on computer or you have a way of selecting a different boot loader, other than Grub4dos, to boot Windows.
Do not need Windows menu entries in Grub4dos.
YaPI(any iso installer)

nic007

#19 Post by nic007 »

bigpup wrote:As a user of Puppy for a long time and someone that tries to help new Puppy users.

I disagree.

The menu-advanced.lst was added to Grub4dos to provide
Advanced boot options.
New users of Puppy do not need to see or use these options, until they get some understanding of how Puppy works.

The menu.lst is the normal boot entries.
Those are all you usually need to use.

A lot of work was done to Grub4dos boot loader to improve how it works in detecting what is on the computer and making a correct menu entry.
If you are not using the latest version you should.
grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.9.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

I am sure you understand the edit menu feature at the end of running Grub4dos Config.
That is for people that understand the menu and how it is used. People that like to do things the way they want them.
I always edit out the Windows stuff.
But as I understand it the new grub4dos does not list the RAM mode option in the "regular" menu.lst but in the advanced menu. If that is so, I have to disagree with you. Booting in RAM mode with puppy is one of puppys best and well-known features. Why should this be in the advanced menu?

bigpup

#20 Post by bigpup »

Simple reason.
I have answered, I do not know how many times, why the save is not being used. Turns out they are using a boot loader that has pfix=ram on the menu entry.

Also, this one from a new Puppy user.
I thought pfix=ram would make Puppy run in ram only.
No, a frugally installed Puppy still normally runs in ram.
pfix=ram keeps Puppy from using the Puppysave.
Option has nothing to do with making Puppy run in ram.

You may understand all of these options.
A new Puppy user does not. :!:

Edit the menu to make it the way you want it.
This is Linux,
You have options.
However, you need to understand the option before you use it.
YaPI(any iso installer)