Fatdog64-510

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

#106 Post by kirk »

Uploaded Seamonkey-2.0.11.pet.

Sage

#107 Post by Sage »

Anything that can be done to persuade users to avoid SM would be worthwhile.

Gradually getting to grips with this strange installation but lack of suppositories(sic) is hampering progress. Couldn't get the 64bit Opera11final to install, either. Some sort of error reported; used the Debian (other) which works on Wary/Quirky/etc.
Let's hope kirk gets plenty of free time over the holidays!

gcmartin

SeaMonkey is GREAT!

#108 Post by gcmartin »

@Sage. Respectfully, I don't understand your ANGER! Why do you have such a bias toward a stable, "worthwhile", all inclusive browser to the point you want to deprive others of its services. There are several other forum threads about SeaMonkey (even some by me). Please articulate your bias there so that everyone including the Mozilla community can understand your bias.

My interpretation is that Kirk has updated the "repository". I see NO REFERENCE that he suggest that you or anyone must/should use this.

Personally, Seamonkey has been stable since I first became a fan of BarryK's Pups.

Thanks in advance, if you will let us know in "those threads that are already elsewhere in the forum" why you feel the way you do about SeaMonkey.

P.S. Thanks everyone for ALL of the contributions. This truly is an great effort. Especial Congratulations to Kirk. He has been religiously devoted to insuring we have a stable platform to work from. THANKS!!!
Edited: @Sage, this is NOT a personal attack. Nor should anyone view it as that. It IS a request for understanding....merely.

capoverde

#109 Post by capoverde »

Sorry for late reply Kirk - was stuck in bed for two days with a cold (or flu or whatever it was).

Well, booted Fatdog 510 with pfix=ram and immediately installed dhcpcd-3.2.3-x86_64.pet, then ran the Net-wizard: connection worked normally - posting this right after. :D
The browser of choice is mainly a matter of personal preference. Guess most forum members have tried at least three or four; I've tried Opera, Firefox, Iron, Chrome, Midori and more in Puppy, plus K-meleon and Opera with Wine+Puppy, wasting lots of time at duly configuring 'em. Each has its own pros and cons, but finally my preference stays with SeaMonkey and, when I have Wine at boot, K-meleon.

Surely there's something around that suits my needs/taste even better; but is the time lost in that search justified?...

Sage

#110 Post by Sage »

You are welcome to SM. Many folks consider I've already said too much about it. I hear the clamour already. Personally, I hate it's antiquated style, even Dillo and Netsurf are 'better'. My preference is Opera, as everyone around here knows, but tux has done a great job on FF and the regular FF is entirely acceptable.
Survey after survey has shown that FF is most favour amongst this Forum's members with Opera a close second.
So, I'll now duck out and let the FF & Opera fans speak for themselves. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.Seasons Greetings.
PS for the Brits - the pure driven snow goes well with a single malt...

tronkel

#111 Post by tronkel »

This argument over which is the best browser for Puppy Linux has been running ever since Puppy was born. To date is has never been settled!

Advantages of Seamonkey:
All-in-one package for ease of installation and compact size - so good match for Puppy.
Simplistic but efficient interface.
Good page rendering and mostly HTML standards-compatible.
Later versions have improved Firefox extensions compatibility.
Good email component similar to Thunderbird.

Disadvantages of Seamonkey
Standard theme looks a bit plain-jane
Less then perfect Firefox extensions compatibility - could be a deal-breaker for a lot of users.
Not lightning-fast.
Puppy compiled versions have sometimes been unstable.
Poor choice of theming options.
Recent versions have given serious grief with installing Enigmail, Lightning and Google Calendar Provider.

So Sage is right up to a point, but others are also right up to a point.

Solution to this quandary?

Since Firefox and Thunderbird as separate entities don't appear to exhibit the above-mentioned disadvantages, why not create a pet or sfs that contains both Firefox and Thunderbird? In fact, in Puppy days of yore (about 3 years ago), I made such a package out of Firefox and Thunderbird - called Thunderfox- using the Mozilla binaries. Maybe a bit on the bloated side though.

How about someone compiling Firefox and TB and then merging them into a single pet/sfs?

Mathematically:

Thunderfox = Firefox + Thunderbird >= Seamonkey

@sage single malt + play with latest Android mobile toy in front of log fire?
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

gcmartin

Browser discussion

#112 Post by gcmartin »

Hey everyone. @Sage must be wallowing in his laughter as he has gotten all of you (us) talking about browsers....INSTEAD OF FATDOG issues and development.

Let me try to say this again...if SAGE want Opera then let him start a forum thread to address Opera. Let's not get into the pro/cons of browser and any base browser that is offered across the Puppies distros that we see.

No offense. But THIS THREAD IS ABOUT FATDOG.....not Sage or anyone's browser emotions.

Just my 2 cents worth. Again, let do what we can, to make FATDOG easy to operate and stable. (And lets ignore those that want to laugh at our reactions to what they start. :lol: Thanks.

This forum has threads already available to discuss browsers. This thread is.... "read the title, above"....FATDOG (not browser preferences) So, let's not get distracted by the distractors (I'm including myself in this group). And let's help each other everywhere we can.

And Sage, please don't post Browser hated or love in this thread. Please post in a thread that already exist for Opera or if you choose, SeaMonkey or open your own devoted to your browser issue(s), but this Thread is about FATDOG...not browser hatred. I not repeating myself as I am trying to "make sense" to ...

capoverde

#113 Post by capoverde »

OK gcmartin, so here's an odd thing with Fatdog:

as already stated in my post at page 5, I couldn't save-to-file (running Live-CD) upon exiting with Xvesa -- I could with Xorg.

BUT... at the next boot the system loads (apparently) regularly, then everything freezes: "NO SIGNAL" claimed by the monitor, neither Ctrl+Alt+Bksp nor anything else clears things up, no error messages before freezing to give a hint about the problem.

In order to get things to work I must cold-reset & reboot with "pfix=vesa". Everything seems to work then, but the trick must be repeated at every boot. :shock:

As always, I suspect the embedded Intel graphic card may be involved. If time permits, I'll try on a different box.

gcmartin

PDiag

#114 Post by gcmartin »

@JamesBond Thanks for the Pdiag Utility. I took a look at it and you've done a pretty thorough job this utility's capture.

Thanks for such a thoughtful piece of creation.
capoverde wrote:OK gcmartin, so here's an odd thing with Fatdog: ...
as already stated in my post at page 5, I couldn't save-to-file (running ... .
I not the right person to answer this, but I would do 1 of the following and post back here.
  1. Boot LiveDVD/CD with loglevel=7 to get a system capture of the boot problem.
  2. Run JamesBonds "new tool" (Pdiag.sh Posted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:01 am Post subject: Diagnostic script )
Post either of these in this thread with the description you just gave me of your problem. I'm sure someone should reply with a resolution. It seems to me that there are several current incarnations of Puppies that are struggling to get a firm handle on this specific problem that I too have reported elsewhere.

capoverde

#115 Post by capoverde »

Just tried twice to download Pdiag, which seemed a promising tool to keep at hand, but after being asked where I'd save it (as per my Namoroka preferences setting) nothing was saved. :(

Tried again after setting my prefs back to default, found Pdiag normally saved to /root/spot/Downloads. Oh well... Why can't that be changed?

Caneri

#116 Post by Caneri »

Hi Kirk,JB,

Has anyone had problems with internet connections on 64-510?

My install works well and the wifi (ath9k) module loads but no connections to the net via FF....sorry if this had been posted but it's a LONG thread...TIA

Eric
[color=darkred][i]Be not afraid to grow slowly, only be afraid of standing still.[/i]
Chinese Proverb[/color]

gcmartin

#117 Post by gcmartin »

capoverde wrote:Just tried twice to download Pdiag, which seemed a promising tool to keep at hand, but after being asked where I'd save it (as per my Namoroka preferences setting) nothing was saved. :(

Tried again after setting my prefs back to default, found Pdiag normally saved to /root/spot/Downloads. Oh well... Why can't that be changed?
Don't know if I'm late to the table here, but,using the default browser I click Edit >> Preferences >> Always ask me... (on the General Tab). After that, you can tell the browser where to store your downloads.
  • Then after download, open ROX to the downloaded file, doubleclick the downloaded file to have it saved as PDiag.sh.
  • Then right-click on the PDiag.sh file, click Permissions >> Yes (so that it becomes an executable program in Linux).
  • Finally open a 2nd ROX window. In this 2nd window, Click "my-applications" icon >> "bin" icon. Now, drag the Pdiag.sh from the other ROX window to this ROX window.
Whenever you either click this icon or type Pdiag.sh in a terminal window, it could run the Diagnostic Collection Tool.

Hope this helps

kirk

#118 Post by kirk »

I uploaded a Opera-11 pet package and Billtoo's pets.

Caneri,

Yes, we've had some problems with dhcpcd. The pet package attached to the first post in this thread has a fix for the version of dhcpcd included in 510, or you can use the other version of dhcpcd I posted on page 6 of this thread.

Sage

#119 Post by Sage »

Many thanks, kirk!
Did that - got the same "Error, package opera-11.pet failed to install." as I got when I tried to use .deb(other).
Interesting, as a check, tried to install nano & encfs from your repo - got exactly the same error messages.
Also, had to re-install my hard-wired NIC (SiS190) this morning???

jamesbond

#120 Post by jamesbond »

Sage wrote:UPDATE:
Refreshed and refuelled, I have some excellent news for you, jb.
Strange as it is to use an M$-anything, your ploy worked. I got the full busybox read-out and a complete boot up.

Looks as if the fault lies somewhere in the regular fs/legacyGRUB/install routine?

Over to you, with grateful thanks.
Glad that it worked.

I actually tested both Grub4DOS and Grub legacy, both works for me ... but Grub is more touchy, because when you install it you need to install it to both MBR (or superblock), and to the filesystem (the files in /boot/grub - the so-called stage 2). Grub4Dos on the other hand just install everything into hidden sectors ... it's cleaner that way.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#121 Post by jamesbond »

capoverde wrote:Just tried twice to download Pdiag, which seemed a promising tool to keep at hand, but after being asked where I'd save it (as per my Namoroka preferences setting) nothing was saved. :(

It's here [url]file:///usr/share/doc/faqs/firefox-spot.html[/url]. The link actually refers to an HTML file in the filesystem - that's the fatdog FAQ.

cheers!
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#122 Post by jamesbond »

Sage wrote:Many thanks, kirk!
Did that - got the same "Error, package opera-11.pet failed to install." as I got when I tried to use .deb(other).
Interesting, as a check, tried to install nano & encfs from your repo - got exactly the same error messages.
Also, had to re-install my hard-wired NIC (SiS190) this morning???
Sage, did you try to install using PPM or by downloading the pets and installing it? I just tried to install nano from PPM - it fails. Tried to install encfs from PPM - it works. Tried to install opera by downloading the pet - it works (without even installing gstreamer which it says is required). I tried to install opera from PPM (after uninstalling first, of course), and it also works. All tests done in my VirtualBox "full-install" setup.

Sage

#123 Post by Sage »

The PPM is empty on my 'true' FULL install, so used the petget/open straight from kirk's Fatdog website.

jamesbond

#124 Post by jamesbond »

Sage, to use PPM, you need to "configure" it first (click configure and then click "update"). When done updating, close it and re-open - the items should be there.

If you want to download stright from the website, make sure you download first, open Rox, and click on it to install. You cannot choose to download and install at the same time (using the option "open with" when trying to download it). The reason is the same as given in the links I gave to capoverde - firefox, in Fatdog, runs as user "spot" which has very little privilege (for security reasons). Thus the installation, which require root access, will fail.

Sage

#125 Post by Sage »

Thanks for that advice, jb - even I don't/can't read everything! Notwithstanding, it shouldn't be necessary to adopt such (unusual?undocumented?) routines, should it? I guess FD is a very long way back in development, though, so kirk is going to be grateful for folks like you & Bt. Seems that Oz has the best coders; as for cricketers...

Ah yes - my previous comments are (unintentionally & unfortunately) linked. Every time I start up my FULL install it is necessary to re-install the NIC & connection. Haven't had this issue for a very long time (although other folks have).

But it (the repo d/l & update) isn't working!
So, d/l from kirk's website. Took a while to find where the files went (root/spot/Downloads)! But it works, thanks. Oh boy, there is just so much work to do on this one!