Puppy 5.2 fails to boot after installed from CD

Please post any bugs you have found
Spaz

Puppy 5.2 fails to boot after installed from CD

#1 Post by Spaz »

Hey guys, interested in running puppy (520) as an installation, not off of the CD. My problem is that when I go to install (frugal or full) on next boot with the disk out, I my BIOS screen, then a screen that says "L 99 99 99 99" with the 99s repeating covering half the screen. It then never does anything from there. I currently have nothing else installed on this drive, it was Ubuntu, and then Slackware, and it might have something to do with boot loaders (maybe?), but running the grub setup should have fixed that, if I'm not mistaken... I'm not entirely sure what I've done wrong, but I would much like help in sorting this. Drive is 250 Gb, partitioned with sda1 at 245 Gb format ext2, and sda2 at 5 Gb format linux swap / solaris. Can give more information if needed.

Thanks for your time,
Spaz.

Edit: If this is in the wrong spot, I apologize and would a mod please relocate it.

rjbrewer

#2 Post by rjbrewer »

What is the make, model and specs of that computer?

L 99 seems to be Lilo bootloader stuff from the Ubuntu install.

Need to wipe that drive; I use Dariks boot n nuke.

245 gb sda1 and 5gb swap is excessively large.

Not a Puppy bug; should have posted in beginners. :)

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

Spaz

#3 Post by Spaz »

Yeah, sorry. I hadn't been paying attention to the forum I was in when I made the post. >.<

And if thats Lilo, then I think its actually slackware residue.

Shouldn't repartitioning and reformatting have cleared that off though (as well as wiping the rest of the drive), or was lilo put on the mbr or something strange that allows it to be ignored and left alone during a repartition and reformat?

Computer is a Compaq Presario CQ50, pretty much stock loadout.

Anyway, a couple specs are (as reported by Hardinfo):
Processor --- 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz
Memory --- 3046MB (293MB used)
Hard drive --- ATA WDC WD2500BEVT-6 (250 Gb Western Digital)

If you need something else, (more specific specifications) just let me know.

Spaz

Edit: now, I'm not entirely sure if I went about doing things the right way or not, so feel free to correct my methods, but I did think about it, and went back and installed grub to my MBR and things seem fine. I mean, I'm using it right now and I didn't boot off of the CD!