Yet Another Samba Share Mounter

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
lemmy999

#121 Post by lemmy999 »

Aha!! Updated my version of Yassm to 2.7, edited yassm-select to include the Windows share that I wanted to access and rebooted. And everything now works!!

Thank you for your help ( and this very useful application, which will make my father-in-laws life a little easier)

Argolance

#122 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
I was running an old version of Puppy today (4.3.1) and accidentally (or by chance!) noticed that, using yassm 2.4, I could access to an usb key plugged on my Internet box, what I couldn't do with later versions 2.6 and 2.7! I thought it was my box or any misconfigured permission/password which was the cause of the problem but it is finally not the case.

Have you any idea of what's wrong?

Cordialement.

rcrsn51

#123 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM v2.7 uses a new scanning method based on a tool called pnscan. Earlier versions used mpscan, but the 4.x Puppies may have contained a different version of mpscan.

Pnethood used a different tool called nbtscan!

Based on a variety of tests, it appears that v2.7 works better than the older versions of YASSM. But that may not be true in your case.

With v2.7, did you try using Wake or Rescan?

[Edit] In v2.7, was the share detected by YASSM-search? This may be a situation where new Puppies need to use the "sec=ntlm" option in YASSM-login.

Argolance

#124 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
Thanks for your quick reply!
Pnethood used a different tool called nbtscan!
Pnethood doesn't "see" my usb key, contrary to yassm.
did you try using Wake or Rescan?
Not needed. I just couldn't mount it...
In v2.7, was the share detected by YASSM-search? This may be a situation where new Puppies need to use the "sec=ntlm" option in YASSM-login.
... and with the option "sec=ntlm", all works fine. 8)
Thanks.

Cordialement.

Argolance

#125 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
rcrsn51 wrote:Do you want the share to be automatically unmounted if it has not been used for a while? I think that would be too difficult to implement.
For those who are interested in, the French team did it!
:arrow: Please see this thread.

Cordialement.

Argolance

#126 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
A Puppy user sent this message to me (Google translation), using yassm to access to a machine running Windows 10 (I cannot reproduce this...)
I tried the option sec=ntlm, but unsuccessfully.
My other machines under Linux have not this access problem.
A smbclient -L ip-pc-windows gives me a NET_STATUS_ACCES_DENIED
The firewall is deactivated.
What could I suggest to him to solve this problem?

Cordialement.

rcrsn51

#127 Post by rcrsn51 »

Every version of Windows makes sharing more complicated. The only way I could get it to work in Win10 was by turning password protected sharing OFF.

Right-click on the shared folder > Properties > Sharing

At the bottom, click on Network and Sharing Center.

Select All Networks.

Select Turn off password protected sharing.

I thought that I once has this working with password protected sharing ON, but I couldn't get it to work this time.

Argolance

#128 Post by Argolance »

Thanks...

Argolance

#129 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
rcrsn51 wrote:I thought that I once has this working with password protected sharing ON, but I couldn't get it to work this time.
Here is the answer of this Puppy/yassm user:
Thank you for the information.
However it is not the nature of the problem because I had already set the sharing under Windows without password.
I always try empirically from time to time to find a solution.
The distributions based on Ubuntu reach it with no problem at all. Mageia, based on RedHat also.
My technical knowledge under Linux is insufficient to understand what makes that some distributions reach it with no problem at all while others not.
Is there really nothing to do, because if it is a handicap for now, it should be more severe for the future... especially for maintainers who bet everything on yassm?

Cordialement.

rcrsn51

#130 Post by rcrsn51 »

@Argolance: What Puppy version is causing the problem? I am seeing the same problem with a Win10 share in some Puppies like Precise. This command fails

Code: Select all

smbclient -NL aaa.bbb.cc.dd
For some reason, Slacko Puppies work, even though they use the same version of smbclient!

Here is what fixed it for me in Precise.

1. Go here and get the samba4_basic_tahrpup-4.1.9.pet.

2. Get the patch file for your particular Puppy.

3. Get the samba4_client-4.1.9.pet.

You need to install the Samba server package in Step 1 because it has dependencies for the Samba client tools.

I have not checked to see if Precise also has a problem with Win7 shares. I would assume that someone has already done so. [Edit] I did a quick test of Precise 571 with a Win7 share and it worked correctly OOTB, including password-protection.

I tried many ways to get the Win10 share working with password-protected sharing turned ON, but they all failed. I wonder if this works in other Linuxes?
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 04 Dec 2015, 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Argolance

#131 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
What Puppy version is causing the problem?
Puppy 5.7.1
Thank you a lot: I transfer this to the Puppy user...

Cordialement.

Argolance

#132 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
Here is what fixed it for me in Precise.
It works!
I was wondering if Samba4 should replace Samba TNG or if it is better to keep both?

Merci.
Cordialement.

rcrsn51

#133 Post by rcrsn51 »

Argolance wrote:It works!
Tres bien.
I was wondering if Samba4 should replace Samba TNG
Yes. The Samba4 Basic server works with more client devices than TNG (like Android tablets) and it has a control panel app, which TNG does not.

Argolance

#134 Post by Argolance »

And what about the already existing /usr/local/samba directory? If I create an update pet package, what is to be kept, deleted, modified?

Thanks.

rcrsn51

#135 Post by rcrsn51 »

Samba-TNG is self-contained in /usr/local/samba. Its start/stop scripts are in /usr/local/bin. Samba4 Basic does not use any of these, so you can safely delete them.

I was curious about how the mainstream Linuxes work with Windows 10 shares, so I booted Ubuntu 14. It had the same problem - it could only mount the share if password-protection was OFF.

Argolance

#136 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Samba-TNG is self-contained in /usr/local/samba. Its start/stop scripts are in /usr/local/bin. Samba4 Basic does not use any of these, so you can safely delete them.
Sorry but I want to be sure I well understood: is it to say the whole /usr/local/samba directory can be safely deleted?
I was curious about how the mainstream Linuxes work with Windows 10 shares, so I booted Ubuntu 14. It had the same problem - it could only mount the share if password-protection was OFF.
Good... and bad news!
--------------------------------------------
Something else concerning yassm:
When I copy any file to my usb drive plugged to my Box, it works well though I get this message every time:

Code: Select all

Copie de /mnt/sdb2/my-pictures/argolance.gif vers /root/YASSM/USB1@192.168.1.1/argolance.gif
cp: preserving permissions for `/root/YASSM/USB1@192.168.1.1/argolance.gif': Permission denied
Impossible de copier '/mnt/sdb2/my-pictures/argolance.gif'

Terminé
Il y a eu une erreur.
Please, what does this mean?
Thank you.

Cordialement.
Attachments
151206_112022_495x254_easyshot.jpg
(21.83 KiB) Downloaded 1095 times

rcrsn51

#137 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. Yes, you can delete the folder /usr/local/samba.

2. Regarding the error message when copying:

a. I have seen some versions of ROX throw this error message, even though it copied the file correctly.

b. What Puppy version are you using on the client machine?

c. How are the two drives formatted - the local drive sdb2 on the client and the shared drive USB1 on the server. FAT32 or NTFS?

d. I set up some test machines with Samba4 Basic and YASSM using FAT32 drives, but I could not make the error message happen.

Argolance

#138 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
rcrsn51 wrote:1. Yes, you can delete the folder /usr/local/samba.
OK, thanks!
b. What Puppy version are you using on the client machine?
USB drive is directly plugged to my Internet Box.
c. How are the two drives formatted - the local drive sdb2 on the client and the shared drive USB1 on the server. FAT32 or NTFS?
sdb2: ext2
USB1: FAT32

Cordialement.

rcrsn51

#139 Post by rcrsn51 »

Argolance wrote:USB drive is directly plugged to my Internet Box.
So your Internet box is acting as the Samba server? When I set up a Samba4 server on a Puppy machine with the same drive configurations, ROX doesn't throw any errors.

Here is something to try. In the yassm-login Options box, enter "nounix". Or maybe "noperms".

Argolance

#140 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Here is something to try. In the yassm-login Options box, enter "nounix". Or maybe "noperms".
Bravo, "nounix" works! :D

Cordialement.