Yet Another Samba Share Mounter

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
Argolance

#136 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Samba-TNG is self-contained in /usr/local/samba. Its start/stop scripts are in /usr/local/bin. Samba4 Basic does not use any of these, so you can safely delete them.
Sorry but I want to be sure I well understood: is it to say the whole /usr/local/samba directory can be safely deleted?
I was curious about how the mainstream Linuxes work with Windows 10 shares, so I booted Ubuntu 14. It had the same problem - it could only mount the share if password-protection was OFF.
Good... and bad news!
--------------------------------------------
Something else concerning yassm:
When I copy any file to my usb drive plugged to my Box, it works well though I get this message every time:

Code: Select all

Copie de /mnt/sdb2/my-pictures/argolance.gif vers /root/YASSM/USB1@192.168.1.1/argolance.gif
cp: preserving permissions for `/root/YASSM/USB1@192.168.1.1/argolance.gif': Permission denied
Impossible de copier '/mnt/sdb2/my-pictures/argolance.gif'

Terminé
Il y a eu une erreur.
Please, what does this mean?
Thank you.

Cordialement.
Attachments
151206_112022_495x254_easyshot.jpg
(21.83 KiB) Downloaded 1095 times

rcrsn51

#137 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. Yes, you can delete the folder /usr/local/samba.

2. Regarding the error message when copying:

a. I have seen some versions of ROX throw this error message, even though it copied the file correctly.

b. What Puppy version are you using on the client machine?

c. How are the two drives formatted - the local drive sdb2 on the client and the shared drive USB1 on the server. FAT32 or NTFS?

d. I set up some test machines with Samba4 Basic and YASSM using FAT32 drives, but I could not make the error message happen.

Argolance

#138 Post by Argolance »

Bonsoir,
rcrsn51 wrote:1. Yes, you can delete the folder /usr/local/samba.
OK, thanks!
b. What Puppy version are you using on the client machine?
USB drive is directly plugged to my Internet Box.
c. How are the two drives formatted - the local drive sdb2 on the client and the shared drive USB1 on the server. FAT32 or NTFS?
sdb2: ext2
USB1: FAT32

Cordialement.

rcrsn51

#139 Post by rcrsn51 »

Argolance wrote:USB drive is directly plugged to my Internet Box.
So your Internet box is acting as the Samba server? When I set up a Samba4 server on a Puppy machine with the same drive configurations, ROX doesn't throw any errors.

Here is something to try. In the yassm-login Options box, enter "nounix". Or maybe "noperms".

Argolance

#140 Post by Argolance »

Bonjour,
Here is something to try. In the yassm-login Options box, enter "nounix". Or maybe "noperms".
Bravo, "nounix" works! :D

Cordialement.

rcrsn51

#141 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM has been updated to v2.8. See the notes on page 1.

rcrsn51

#142 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM has been updated to v2.9. See the notes on page 1. The yassm-select procedure has changed.

augras

#143 Post by augras »

Hi,
Thanks a lot.
Have a nice christmas day.
Philippe

augras

#144 Post by augras »

It seems that in yassm-select.desktop there is a wrong translation.
There is Name[fr]=YASSM-Recherche de partage Samba like in the yassm-search.desktop file but it's not the same and Name[fr]=YASSM-Sélection de partage Samba will be better, i think.
Philippe

rcrsn51

#145 Post by rcrsn51 »

D'accord. I will fix that and post another version.

I have not received any feedback on the new yassm-select procedure. Is it working for you?

augras

#146 Post by augras »

I just try with one share and it works fine.
Thanks,
Philippe

augras

#147 Post by augras »

Hi,
After i register a share, without the password (i don't like to have a password in clear in a file), the window yassm-login comes to ask the password. Before there was a window but just with the pasword and not all the fields. I have just to write the password but i think that it is better for a user to don't have all these fields even if he just has to complete one field.
Philippe

rcrsn51

#148 Post by rcrsn51 »

I never liked the old yassm-select. The instructions were complicated, especially for non-English users. And it was easy to make a mistake when building your database of shares.

The new method is much simpler - just click Set and give the share a title. But when you run yassm-select, you now see two screens - one to select the share and one to login. (It's the same procedure as what you do with yassm-search). In the old yassm-select, you only saw the first screen. That will be a little annoying for users of the old method.

Regarding passwords - in the old method you could hide a share's password by putting ??? in the database. In the new method, you have to enter it in the Password box of yassm-login. But you can insert the password in the share's setup file, which is in the hidden folder /root/.yassm. So you don't have to enter it when you login. It is "sort-of-hidden" from other users.

I will give this problem some thought.

Bill

rcrsn51

#149 Post by rcrsn51 »

This alternate version of YASSM-select addresses the issues raised by augras above.

1. It will automatically mount the selected share without going through the YASSM-login screen.

2. If the password in the /root/.yassm/xxx.set file is ***, it will pop-up a password entry box.

3. Your .set files can use server names instead of IP addresses.

Please test and report.
Attachments
YASSM_select_auto-2.9.pet
(1.85 KiB) Downloaded 474 times

takenp

#150 Post by takenp »

Hi!

Many thx for your scripts. I found them very usefull. BTW dont you think to add iocharset=utf8 while mounting by default? Cause I ve got national coding with ???? in filenames and folder whilist I did not put it into options field. It is OK and easy but it can be a problem for a newbie to figure out what to do ;)

rcrsn51

#151 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding the iocharset option: when I started development of YASSM, I was reluctant to lock in various options for fear that there would be negative effects on users who did not need them.

For example, does the option work with shares on different generations of Windows machines?

It seemed safer to leave it as an option that people can easily add on their own.

rcrsn51

#152 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM v3.0 posted above. The search tool recognizes multiple networks.

rcrsn51

#153 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM v4.0 is posted above. It is a major revision that combines the previous functions (yassm-search, yassm-select, yassm-login) into one program. It eliminates potential problems that come with searching a network for shares.

------------------------

rcrsn51

#154 Post by rcrsn51 »

YASSM v4.1 is posted above. There are changes to the user interface.

Once you have done the setup for a share, you can mount it with one click.

Marv

#155 Post by Marv »

YASSM v4.1 downloaded and installed in LxPupSc 17.08.24T on one of my core 2 duo Fujitsu S6520 laptops. Took this old user a minute to make the leap from yassm-search to the new interface (I hadn't used 4.0) but the help walkthrough is clear and once set up the single panel UI is neater. Currently my server box is also running on the samba in LxPupSc but in general it runs X-Slacko 4.2, now 4.3. Both the PcManFm in the LxPups and the Thunar in the X- series can connect to the shares but after a period of non-use even though the server box doesn't hibernate or sleep they sometimes fail to connect. Yassm-search always has.
Thanks,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.