Yet Another Samba Share Mounter

Configuration wizards, scanners, remote desktop, etc.
rcrsn51

#76 Post by rcrsn51 »

sc0ttman wrote:OK, just to confirm I am indeed thick... So, let see if this is correct:

1. YASSM is a client, for connecting to ('mounting') samba AND samba-tng shares on OTHER PCs ...
2. And samba-tng-rcrsn-0.5-rc1 is purely for setting up a server, creating a 'share' that others can 'mount'...

Is the above correct?
Yes.

sc0ttman

#77 Post by sc0ttman »

OK I made this yesterday, Samba Manager 0.1

It requires both rcrsn51s YASSM and samba-tng
pets to be installed. It adds a menu entry in 'Network'.

It's a simple script, a hack more than anything.

It's a frontend for both YASSM and Samba-TNG,
hopefully clear enough that idiots like me won't
confuse the purpose of the two.

Of course, this is just for users who want it, and
I do not intend this to be part of either the YASSM
or samba-tng-rcrsn51 pkgs..

Here are some screenshots and the pet, below:
Attachments
samba-manager-0.1.pet
(4.45 KiB) Downloaded 1130 times
image-1.png
(31.51 KiB) Downloaded 2496 times
image-2.png
(32.14 KiB) Downloaded 2520 times
image-3.png
(19.91 KiB) Downloaded 2387 times
[b][url=https://bit.ly/2KjtxoD]Pkg[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2U6dzxV]mdsh[/url], [url=https://bit.ly/2G49OE8]Woofy[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/bzBU1]Akita[/url], [url=http://goo.gl/SO5ug]VLC-GTK[/url], [url=https://tiny.cc/c2hnfz]Search[/url][/b]

rmcellig

#78 Post by rmcellig »

I just installed Puppy Precise 5.4. I can access my shares from the other computers on my LAN but how do I create a share so that I can see it on my other machines. Do I use YASSM or do I have to download Samba Full or do I use Yassm instead?

I know how to set up a share in Puppy Linux 5.2.8 but am not sure how to do it in Precise. Thanks!!

rcrsn51

#79 Post by rcrsn51 »

rmcellig wrote:I just installed Puppy Precise 5.4. I can access my shares from the other computers on my LAN but how do I create a share so that I can see it on my other machines. Do I use YASSM or do I have to download Samba Full?
YASSM is not a Samba server. It is a client app, like Pnethood. It does not create shares. It accesses the shares on other machines.
I know how to set up a share in Puppy Linux 5.2.8 but am not sure how to do it in Precise. Thanks!!
How did you do it in Lupu? Have you tried Samba-TNG in Precise?

rmcellig

#80 Post by rmcellig »

Looks like I will be testing Samba 4.0. Can hardly wait!

Haven't tried Samba-TNG. Will look into it.

rmcellig

#81 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks sc0ttman! I will try this out for sure.

davids45

OK with computer address but not name?

#82 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

I have been trying your YASSM in the latest Pups as pnethood is now mostly missing.

With YASSM, I found I could not mount the shares on my quite old XP computer (called 'DAD2' - from when my children were around - now it's grandchildren pushing buttons & keys!).

I/YASSM could see each share, listed by the drop-down button (e.g. MyDocuments@DAD2) but could not connect.

Reading your advice in some threads, I tried replacing "DAD2" as the Server option with the computer's network address (192.168.2.105 - it was manually set so should be a fixed address) and I could now access the shares.

What is your advice to make this accessing easier in future - rename the old desktop (e.g. is a lowercase name needed? Why is DAD2 a problem - pnethood worked as is) or can I set up a default to use the network address in some way in place of the DAD2 name?

Thanks for any help,
David S.

rcrsn51

#83 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do you have the Puppy firewall turned on?

Run the command "nmblookup DAD2". Does this return the server's IP address?
I have been trying your YASSM in the latest Pups as pnethood is now mostly missing.
Which Puppy are you using? Both Wary and Precise still have Pnethood.

davids45

#84 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,
Thanks for the quick reply.
Do you have the Puppy firewall turned on?
- No.
Run the command "nmblookup DAD2". Does this return the server's IP address?
- Yes - 192.168.2.105
Which Puppy are you using? Both Wary and Precise still have Pnethood.
Slacko-5.xxx mostly, but I'll give the others a go to see if I get any better response with their YASSMs to my old DAD2 desktop with its XP (it's a pretty old version of XP too).

David S.

rcrsn51

#85 Post by rcrsn51 »

This is a bit of a mystery. YASSM uses a different technique than Pnethood for resolving the server name DAD2 into its IP address 192.168.2.105. But since the nmblookup command above worked for you, I can't see why YASSM would fail.

Try this version

Code: Select all

nmblookup DAD2 | tail -n 1 | cut -f 1 -d " "
Does it also return 192.168.2.105?

In any case, you can continue to use YASSM by using Samba-Select and building a list of your shares on DAD2. Just use the IP address in the list.

As a test, I named an XP machine as DAD2 and created a share named MyDocuments. I then accessed it from Slacko 5.5. Everything worked correctly.

davids45

two network adaptors?

#86 Post by davids45 »

G'day rcrsn51,

I tried your suggested code:
nmblookup DAD2 | tail -n 1 | cut -f 1 -d " "
and got "192.168.2.101" - which is the network address for this computer's wireless connection with XP.
It has wireless (101) and wired (105) connections.

Could this (2 addresses/2 adaptors) be the cause of the odd behaviour with YASSM on this old desktop? I could try turning one off (e.g. the wireless which can be a little erratic with XP - and I did not get YASSM to work using 192.168.2.101 in place of DAD2, whereas 192.168.2.105 did work)?

David S.

rcrsn51

Re: two network adaptors?

#87 Post by rcrsn51 »

davids45 wrote:Could this (2 addresses/2 adaptors) be the cause of the odd behaviour with YASSM on this old desktop?
Absolutely. Although the XP machine has two IP addresses, it appears that its shares can only be successfully mounted on 105.

But I don't understand the following. You said that "nmblookup DAD2" reported "192.168.2.105". But the second command reported "192.168.2.101".

Did the first command actually report BOTH IPs?

davids45

slight change in thread direction/problem

#88 Post by davids45 »

G'day again,

I only found the wired 192.168.2.105 connection yesterday with the nmblookup.
But trying again this morning, it did report both addresses (101 & 105). I suspect the wireless was temporarily off yesterday on the XP machine and I did not notice.

As I seem to be successfully learning about networking my now less-used Windows computers ( :D , thanks), I have a mainly dust-gathering Windows7 laptop.

When I try YASSM (& pnethood - I'm running a Upup Precise), the lap-top is found/reported but as "hidden@DAVIDLAPTOP-PC". It is connecting via its wireless adaptor at 192.168.2.8 - I had unplugged its wired connection quite a while ago.

In case you are a Windows7 expert, how do I unhide the Shares on this lap-top? I think I have tried everything in its Control Panel to make folders shared and public, but "who knows?"
I'm trying a few passwords and user names but with no luck nor skill (as suggested in your guide earlier (page1) in this thread).

Or should I re-establish the wired connection (if that was an issue with the XP computer difficulty)? Just need to find a cable to test this out.

David S.

rcrsn51

#89 Post by rcrsn51 »

In YASSM, "hidden" just means that the share requires authentication. When you use the Win7 machine, does it require a username and password?

What happens with Pnethood? You would need to enter the authentication, then hit Rescan to see the shares.

You might need to use the Win7 machine's admin-level password.

PaulR

#90 Post by PaulR »

I'm struggling to connect to my Win 7 PC, any help would be really appreciated. Here's what I have...

Win 7 machine:
Computer name: acer
Share: I just created a folder in the root of C: called /pupshare and set sharing properties (chose my usual Windows login/password as the only user allowed access).
IP address: 192.168.1.73 (dynamically assigned by router).
Potential problems: Firewall and Hamachi disabled (closed)

Puppy machine:
Slacko 5.5, firewall temporarily set to OFF
YASSM 2.6
Connected via wireless

If I scan using YASSM I find hidden@ACER (and hidden@BTHUB3 for some reason, maybe the router control panel??).

If I then select it and enter my username/password/share name I get a 'no connection to pupshare' error.

I've tried all variations of upper/lower case for the server name with and without the additional ?192.168.1.0 and preceding slashes //

I've tried /pupshare and pupshare in the share name and tried putting the windows WORKGROUP name in options.

If, I click the 'Shares' button in the credentials dialog I get a dropdown list with 'NONE' as the only item so it seems the pupshare directory isn't visible.

It's got me beat... any pointers anyone? :D

Paul

rcrsn51

#91 Post by rcrsn51 »

Do you have Windows Live Essentials installed on your Win7 machine? It is known to block Linux Samba clients.

Do you have a second Windows machine on your network? You could use it to test that the Win7 share is set up correctly.
If, I click the 'Shares' button in the credentials dialog I get a dropdown list with 'NONE' as the only item so it seems the pupshare directory isn't visible.
Using the Win7 username and password, run this command

Code: Select all

smbclient -U username%password -L acer
Does that list the share?

Also try the command using the Acer's IP address instead of its name.

PaulR

#92 Post by PaulR »

Thanks for the very quick reply!

No, I don't have Windows Essentials installed.

We have an infrequently used Vista machine..I'll check if that recognizes the share later.
Using the Win7 username and password, run this command
Code:
smbclient -U username%password -L acer

Does that list the share?
No, it gives 'protocol negotiation failed' whether I use the name or the IP address.

Certainly seems like something is amiss on the Win 7 box.... I'll take another look at that end.

Thanks again

Paul

rcrsn51

#93 Post by rcrsn51 »

Maybe this will help?

I found a post by a Ubuntu user who fixed the problem by rebooting his Win7 machine.

PaulR

#94 Post by PaulR »

Thank you - rebooting has done the trick! (Insert equal amounts of Grrrr and :D here)

So glad I didn't have to work through another load of instructions, I've been at this all day so far as it is!

Cheers

Paul

PS the Vista machine recognized the share before rebooting.

rcrsn51

#95 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's good news. It sounds like the problem is a memory cache issue on the Win7 machine as described in the link above. Rebooting cleared it.