Snow Puppy 020 with more apps, fonts and themes

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
eztuxer

#16 Post by eztuxer »

The link to dwnld the devx is dead (404)
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

pemasu

#17 Post by pemasu »

eztuxer. Couldnt get your source to compile straight. I found newer one and that compiled ok.

I fix the devx link, I renamed the ftp folders and havent checked all the links. Sorry.

Link fixed now to devx: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/SnowPuppy513RC_002/

And link to kernel sources: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_sources/
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 04 Jan 2011, 22:04, edited 2 times in total.

eztuxer

#18 Post by eztuxer »

Thanks, I'm downloading the devx.sfs file, and as soon as it is done i'll try the driver and let you know how it works.

eztuxer

#19 Post by eztuxer »

pemasu, your .pet driver works fine, I'm posting with it via netbook and Snow Puppy on usb stick. :)
Now I will be able to test it intensively, installing different softs to customise it.
Thanks for efficient support and thanks to all those (Barry, and the gang) who contributed to bring Puppy to this high level of sofistication and compatibility with hardware ranging from very old to newest state of the art gizmo.
Puppy Rocks ! I'm loving it !
Puppy 5XX, a small step for a dog, a huge leap into the future for geeks...

pemasu

#20 Post by pemasu »

Good to hear. I will make drivers folder to the ftp site for possible further use of that driver. And thank you of the feedback.

Remember to use menu - system - boot manager - add new module so that wireless module is loaded automatically after reboot. And the module needs to be unloaded when you use boot manager.

eztuxer

#21 Post by eztuxer »

pemasu wrote: Remember to use menu - system - boot manager - add new module so that wireless module is loaded automatically after reboot. And the module needs to be unloaded when you use boot manager.
Sound advice, I also blacklisted the RT2870 USB module as it kept on loading and fighting the RT3070 module for supremacy, like what's going on in Ivory Coast.

All seems OK now, the beast even autoconnect to the router with the Lamewifi.pet I've installed.

Yet a little later:

Well there are some strange things happening:

The old connection manager diplays a signal strengt of 70/70 for all APs ??? As for the frisbee manager it only shows the strongest signals.

And WTF it keeps on disconnecting after 3 to 15 minutes of use. :(

pemasu

#22 Post by pemasu »

Did you use old network wizard first ? Or Barrys Simple Network Setup ?

If you used network wizard you should delete saved profiles before you try frisbee, I think. And reboot is recommended also.

Otherwise I dont have new advices atm. There is possibility that all those connection apps conflicts each other, I thought about removing network wizard and Barrys SNS but then I thought that interexisting experience is needed anyway.

I have used frisbee only from the beginning without using the other connection apps and I dont have connection loses at all. It connects straight after suspend also.

pemasu

#23 Post by pemasu »

eztuxer, I found possible bug in my compile, there isnt wpa_supplicant usage enabled in config.mk file as default. I need to recompile the driver. There is really too many options I dont have a glue of their meaning. I would need Tempestuous help in this really. But i will try.

pemasu

#24 Post by pemasu »

eztuxer, rt3070sta-v2401-k26357.pet is reuploaded on the previous upload post. If you want, you could try it. It has now wpa_supplicant enabled, rfkill also. At least frisbee relies heavily on wpa_supplicant.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 473#483473

And by the way, lamewifi.pet is probably meant for older kernels. It has its own mini wpa. I dont know how compatible it really is with this build. It didnt drop my connection at least.
The mini wpa-connection script (lameWiFi) below is intended for use with older
puppy < 4.30 .....

eztuxer

#25 Post by eztuxer »

Thank you for the advice (removing saved files from network wizard), and concerning Lame wifi, I'll give it a try tomorrow.
Anyhow with this driver it has less sensitivity (received signal) frisbee doesn't see most the networks around here only 1 or 2 among 8-10...
For the moment I'll just use a USB to 3G smartphone connection instead, so I can keep on installing softs etc...
I'm joining the .pet driver that works fantastic on 511 quickset edition, may be it could be of use to identify the driver version it was based upon.
Other than that, all this is flying way above my head, and far beyond my knowledge.

pemasu

#26 Post by pemasu »

Tempestuous has used even newer driver which has also firmware included in his pet for lucid 5.1.1 and kernel 2.6.33.2. It will need research for me also.
rt3370sta for RT3070/RT3370
RT3070 wifi devices are supported, confusingly, also by the rt2870sta opensource driver already in Puppy. But there are quite a number of more recent RT3070 devices which are only supported by the latest proprietary Ralink driver. To add further to the confusion, Ralink has changed the name of this proprietary driver from rt3070sta to rt3370sta. This driver now includes support for the very latest RT3370 wifi chips as well.
This was from Tempestuous.

I used now the same driver source and included the firmware also to the pet.

So you need to use for testing rt3370sta module for your wireless.

eztuxer

#27 Post by eztuxer »

OK DOOKEY
So far so good, I've downloaded and replaced the .pet (with wpa)
Removed network manager .conf file from etc/, and didn't use the old network manager.
Frisbee conected all by itself, and also diconnected all by itself.
Next try after I remove Lame wifi which might just be another culprit.
We’ll see if it does last any longer. ::crossing fingers::

eztuxer

#28 Post by eztuxer »

Using the rt3370STA.pet ... with puppy 520 RC
No problem so far, I think the conflict came from frisbee and other manager fighting for command.
I should try Snow "Tumpi" pup without frisbee to be sure.

pemasu

#29 Post by pemasu »

Thank you of testing. There has been issues before when many wireless capable apps are installed. Frisbee has been most reliable for me and the others are more familiar to most, so I havent done decision yet what to remove.

If this latest driver really works, I could include it to the next Snow Puppy. It would need new module prefer list also to avoid manual struggle with rt2xxx included with kernel.

nooby

#30 Post by nooby »

Crazy question from me to both of you.

"I also blacklisted the RT2870 USB module as it kept on loading and fighting the RT3070 module for supremacy, like what's going on in Ivory Coast. "

I know that Jemimah trust that RFKILL is what makes Fluppy, Snowy and Inpu Puppy different to many other puppies.

But could not these things explain why even Inpu can fail to boot.

I mean if modules compete to get USB going and I make use of both USB mouse and USB keyboard and have two screens too so maybe the script sense this and some kind of collusion of priority take place?

Just my naivety shining through.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#31 Post by nooby »

another question.

Pemasu, now I ahve tested two of your lupu-513 the one from Christmas? and the one from Happy new year.

513-scsi.iso and 513RC-004.iso

And they are both behaving really good. As I get it them are based on Lupu-511? and are not the latest Maveric Puppy based on same kernels and other stuff and the main differences are what you learned from Jemimah and IguLeder? RFKILL and such that you added and that is why it never fails on my Acer D 250.

Now the question. Is this not then possible to implement on latest Mapu 5.2?

And what is it that keep those Devs from making it that inclusive so us with Acer D250 also can use the latest.

I know too little. does it makes it bigger? something else that makes it incompatible with some software they like? Why else not always have what you added?

Looking forward to have a Snowy Puppy version of the Mapu too.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

pemasu

#32 Post by pemasu »

Lucid 5.2 is not possible to build by woof. Playdayz used packages from Lucid and Maverick both. It is not possible to build that kind mix up using woof.

I used Lucid 5.1.1 specs which are latest to build Ubuntu Puppy. Ubuntu Lucid is long standing release, there isnt any hurry for me to change to Maverick just for changing sake. What aint broken, dont fix it. This build just works, so no need to make big move atm.

Testing Maverick packages and build from them just by yourself takes time and needs finetuning. I think Playdayz tried that using Maverick packages, but I dont know the result.

But I included many new properties and features from Luci 5.2 development thread, some of them are not even in Luci 5.2. Like simple wallpaper setter. And these builds used the newest Barrys uploaded woof apps also, so they were updated compared to Luci 5.1.1.

Every derivative builder makes their builds as they want. There arent any guidelines or rules how they should be build. That is the fun of it. And you can change your build as you wish also. But I am going to stay in some route.

Cheers.

eztuxer

#33 Post by eztuxer »

nooby wrote:Crazy question from me to both of you.

I know that Jemimah trust that RFKILL is what makes Fluppy, Snowy and Inpu Puppy different to many other puppies.

I mean if modules compete to get USB going and I make use of both USB mouse and USB keyboard and have two screens too so maybe the script sense this and some kind of collusion of priority take place?

I have no idea of what's really going on, i didn't think about yet another possible conflict with USB wireless mouse.

eztuxer

#34 Post by eztuxer »

I have no idea of what's really going on, i didn't think about yet another possible conflict with USB wireless mouse.

eztuxer

#35 Post by eztuxer »