Lucid Puppy 5.2 Official Release JAN 5 2011

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stu90

#991 Post by stu90 »

What about this 'linux live USB creator' for the windowz - says it can do persistence installs for selected distros.
http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/home

nooby

#992 Post by nooby »

Thanks to all of you for engaging in this side thing on the Lupu52.
rcrsn51 are you using Lupu520 or some other puppy when you did the compiling?

I mean such things seems to relate on kernels and such.

Pupitup don't have the kernel with the Atheros driver I need to go out on the internet. So sure I can use it for music but not internet.

Lupu until I realized I needed nosmp added to the kernel line booted unreliably on my Acer D250.

So if you make a pet for Puppy I hope it is Lupu520 so as many as possible get to use it? Would be very nice to have.

No I don't want to use Windows and Unetbootin and don't want to use Ubuntu either. I can accept TCL or Knoppix or CDLinux (Slax based) and prefer Puppy so one knows one can rely on people caring about it if something goes wrong.

Grub4Dos can not do such thigns on NTFS which Grub2 can do unless Grub4Dos has recently got patches or new release or unofficial new features but that would have been shouted out in triumph by those that modded it.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rcrsn51

#993 Post by rcrsn51 »

nooby wrote:So if you make a pet for Puppy I hope it is Lupu520 so as many as possible get to use it? Would be very nice to have.
That's not going to happen. If a nooby just wants to play around at testing distros, a USB+GRUB2+ISO setup is too complicated and unpredictable.

Especially when there are so many simpler ways of doing it.

nooby

#994 Post by nooby »

Rcrsn51 said: Especially when there are so many simpler ways of doing it.

Such as what?

stu90 yes I downloaded it but are too scared to test it using wine on Puppy. But does it do grub2 on the usb?

playdayz

#995 Post by playdayz »

The latest Wine 1.3.13 has been added to PPM. Thanks to green_dome.

stu90

#996 Post by stu90 »

nooby wrote:
stu90 yes I downloaded it but are too scared to test it using wine on Puppy. But does it do grub2 on the usb?
Nooby i believe it is a windowz program - i do not use windows so i don't really know how or what it does. If yo have windows + a USB drive, why not give it a try if it is rubbish just format the USB drive and all traces of it will be gone.

bigpup

#997 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:The latest Wine 1.3.13 has been added to PPM. Thanks to green_dome.
I updated PPM with the the update Lupu PPM in Quickpet.
After reboot went to PPM to download this new version of Wine.
In PPM went to setup and this new version of Wine not listed.
Did search for Wine and new version showed up in search results.
Possible problem with update of PPM?
See attached pictures.
Attachments
wine 2 PPM.jpg
after update Lupu PPM in Quickpet
(61.74 KiB) Downloaded 1912 times
wine PPM.jpg
after search for Wine
(43.41 KiB) Downloaded 1947 times

playdayz

#998 Post by playdayz »

Bigpup, I don't know. I just tested and it showed up in both traditional PPM and zigbert PPM. I updated Lupu PPM with Quickpet and then rebooted.

But, I am noticing that your version of zigbert PPM looks different than mine--mine has the repos, etc., on the right. Does that mean anything?
Attachments
wine.png
(58.6 KiB) Downloaded 454 times

bigpup

#999 Post by bigpup »

I forgot my version of Lucid 5.2 is highly modified.
I do have one of those alternate versions of the PPM layout.
That is probably the problem.
Sorry for the false bug. Maybe?

Kind of goes along with this problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 398#490398
Last edited by bigpup on Tue 15 Feb 2011, 22:58, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#1000 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:Please help with a mystery.

1. Use Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM to get the latest Packages-puppy-lucid-official (contents of PPM).

2. Look under System for libpython, hal, gparted <not there>

3. Search for libpython, hal, gparted <are there>

Why is this happening? Thank you.
Did you figure this out?

Aitch

#1001 Post by Aitch »

playdayz

This may be of interest/or been posted already? - sage-4.6-32bit-Puppy_Linux_Lupu.sfs

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 896#495896

Aitch :)

playdayz

#1002 Post by playdayz »

1. Use Quickpet -> More Pets -> Update Lupu PPM to get the latest Packages-puppy-lucid-official (contents of PPM).

Yes, I am pretty sure it is because hal and gparted are already installed in one version or another from the original Woof. PPM does not show packages that are already installed. I would have to give different names such as hal_extra-lucid and then it would show up.

abushcrafter

#1003 Post by abushcrafter »

[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

bigpup

#1004 Post by bigpup »

playdayz wrote:

Yes, I am pretty sure it is because hal and gparted are already installed in one version or another from the original Woof. PPM does not show packages that are already installed. I would have to give different names such as hal_extra-lucid and then it would show up.

Well, I had a version of Wine installed, so I guess my problem is caused by the same issue.

bigpup

#1005 Post by bigpup »

chrismt

#1006 Post by chrismt »

stu90 wrote:No cached youtube Flash vids in /tmp with 10.2? :evil:

Found this work around:
http://n00bsys0p.wordpress.com/2011/02/ ... -in-linux/

Seems to only cache one video at a time so no opening multiple youtube tabs - mine is in /proc/18396/fd
Yes :oops:

Can someone please explain the link in simple language?

nooby

#1007 Post by nooby »

Ha ha that text was as easy as PanCakes to follow. Just do it as they tell me when I ask people on "Real Linux" forums and they get irritated me fail to grasp their high tech language.

Chris I agree with you that it was not easy at all. How far did you get it. I read and read and vaguely grasped some of it. Did you try the search for flash then that should show in which folder you can look for the file.

Not sure for how long it last there though. And if it happens to all kinds of streaming videos. Are there not many different versions out there?
Hopefully someone that do grasp it show compassion and explain it to us.

Would be cool to be able to save such things

chrismt

#1008 Post by chrismt »

nooby wrote:Ha ha that text was as easy as PanCakes to follow. Just do it as they tell me when I ask people on "Real Linux" forums and they get irritated me fail to grasp their high tech language.

Chris I agree with you that it was not easy at all. How far did you get it. I read and read and vaguely grasped some of it. Did you try the search for flash then that should show in which folder you can look for the file.

Not sure for how long it last there though. And if it happens to all kinds of streaming videos. Are there not many different versions out there?
Hopefully someone that do grasp it show compassion and explain it to us.

Would be cool to be able to save such things
But I guess it is simple

These flash files are now saved in the cache of the respective browsers instead of the .tmp file

I use Google Chrome and i could snatch these files from a folder called .cache in root

nooby

#1009 Post by nooby »

Thanks I will install Chrome too then :)

Jades

#1010 Post by Jades »

Aitch wrote:playdayz

This may be of interest/or been posted already? - sage-4.6-32bit-Puppy_Linux_Lupu.sfs
Just for a second there I thought someone had ported the famous British Accounting Package (http://www.sage.com) of the same name. I was almost excited. ;-)
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0