VirtualBox for many Puppies

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
labbe5

VirtualBox and XP

#166 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,
I learned a few days ago how to have a free running WindowsXP with VirtualBox. I didn't try it yet, but look forward to try it with one of your packages and Precise, one reason being a friend of mine lost Windows XP(crashed), and being a fan of games, couldn't live without XP. I learned too that XP is faster under VirtualBox. The limit of 90 days is bypassed by the snapshot capability of VirtualBox.
I know PlayOnLinux, Steam, Wine are diminishing the dominant role of Windows in the game category, but this friend is only familiar with this OS, so i will try combining Linux and WindowsXP, via VirtualBox.
Cheers!

shinobar

virtualbox-4.3.4

#167 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.3.4.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko-5.6 and more.
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Wary-511, Lucid, Precise-5.5/5.6.1/5.7.1, and Slacko-5.6.
As for the Puppy-4.3.1, need to install SDL.
ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... 3-i386.pet
For other kernels, you need devx and kernel source packages to build the kernel modules.
Type 'virtualbox' on a terminal after loaded the virtualbox-xxx.sfs.
Note that this SFS does not support 64bit Puppies.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

labbe5

Virtualbox and installation of WindowsXP and other Linux OS

#168 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

I tried my best to install WindowsXP in Virtualbox, without success. I first downloaded sfx file for Linux, extracted it into a Virtualbox file, followed instructions (in fact, the process seems quite simple, but...), and, although following instructions to the letter, i never quite coped with the difficulty to install WindowsXP, and for that matter, any ISO from Linux. I really don't know what i do wrong. How come some articles say it is a simple task to do, and i experience such a headache.
I tried with Virtualbox downloaded from Mint package manager, and from sfs package for Puppy Precise. I have had more success with sfs package, but only with XP in safe mode, not what i was expecting : a nice and sleek installation.
Can you help?

labbe5

success installing Virtualbox

#169 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

Many thanks for Virtualbox. I had a need for WindowsXP, just to run some apps i could not run under Wine,
I read carefully Virtualbox manual, and your own explanation, and finally came to the realization that, using Slacko 5.6 and Virtualbox SFS, plus a registered ISO copy of WindowsXP, i would normally succeed. Now i have XP within Slacko, for occasional use. Smooth installation.
Thanks again.
Please, keep up updating Virtualbox.

Fabio T

How to compile myself 64 bit version of Virtualbox?

#170 Post by Fabio T »

Hi Shinobar,

can you explain how can we make a 64 bit .SFS file from the file .run that I download from Oracle site? I use a suitable script that downloads latest version of this useful package.

I would to install into FatDog64

I don't want to install Virtualbon into savefile , it grows enormously.

Thanks in advance.

Fabio

shinobar

Re: How to compile myself 64 bit version of Virtualbox?

#171 Post by shinobar »

Fabio T wrote:can you explain how can we make a 64 bit .SFS file from the file .run that I download from Oracle site? I use a suitable script that downloads latest version of this useful package.
Just replace the stuff under /opt and under /lib in my SFS by the 64bit ones.
You need to run the .run file on the FatDog with the devx and a large savefile to get the 64bit stuff.

Fabio T

#172 Post by Fabio T »

Thanx Shinobar.
But my question was: How to create .SFS directly from .run file downloaded from Oracle site?
Or I need to install .run file before create .sfs file?

Thanx again.

Fabio

shinobar

Install .run

#173 Post by shinobar »

Fabio T wrote:Or I need to install .run file before create .sfs file?
Yes.

Fabio T

#174 Post by Fabio T »

Thanx Shinobar!

After a few trials I have got a working Updated Virtualbox 4.3.6_64 bit!

If U want I give you the .sfs file to copy in your repository.

Thnx again!

EDIT: Now I've created a 4.3.8._64 bit .SFS

Anyone interested?
Last edited by Fabio T on Wed 26 Feb 2014, 21:48, edited 1 time in total.

MyPuppysaysWauWau

checksum

#175 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

virtualbox-4.3.4.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko-5.6 and more
Hi Shinobar,

Thx for all programs, you made! :) I've downloaded the Virtualbox, but I have not found any checksum. Please can you tell me, where I can find this information?

P.S.: Do anybody have any experience about WinXP running in a VB (latest Puppy Precise, or Slacko) What should I keep in mind :?:

Best regards from Vienna
Walter

nancy reagan

Re: checksum

#176 Post by nancy reagan »

MyPuppysaysWauWau wrote:
virtualbox-4.3.4.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko-5.6 and more
Hi Shinobar,

Thx for all programs, you made! :) I've downloaded the Virtualbox, but I have not found any checksum. Please can you tell me, where I can find this information?

P.S.: Do anybody have any experience about WinXP running in a VB (latest Puppy Precise, or Slacko) What should I keep in mind :?:

Best regards from Vienna
Walter
Being a noob and having "only 2GB" of RAM my experience is not too positive.

Because after you have xp running you have to install SP1 to 3 which makes it heavy..

At the beginning of the installation you are asked whether you want to make a "fixed" or a "slowly growing" hd.

I choose the latest for that would take up lass memory, but later I learned that a fixed drive seems to work faster.

Well this is the experience from a noob.

rufwoof

Re: checksum

#177 Post by rufwoof »

nancy reagan wrote:Being a noob and having "only 2GB" of RAM my experience is not too positive....

...but later I learned that a fixed drive seems to work faster.
Slacko 5.6 frugal, Installed VB 4.3.4 SFS and created a 3GB virtual machine file space into which I've currently loaded XP-SP2, Office 2003, Chrome, AVG, C-Cleaner.

AMD64 PC with 1.5GB mem runs office OK, but XP based browsing/youtubes can be dead slow due to CPU maxing out (HTOP showing using only around 500MB memory when loaded with Slacko watching a youtube (firefox), playing a MP4, with VB with XP machine running and also watching a youtube (chrome), and a Excel spreadsheet loaded.

For less intensive usage runs quite well. For instance Excel is perfectly usable and when you shut down the virtual machine you can save the current state such that when restarted it drops right back to where you were when you previously closed, taking just seconds to load (VB and XP Excel takes less time to start up than does a Slacko based OpenOffice spreadsheet)

It was all a really easy, first time ok experience for me. Dropped in the 4.3.4 SFS and it ran straight out of the box. Took some time however to install XP and other programs however (around a hour and a half).

I opted for a relatively small 3GB XP disk space as I intend to write a pristine install version to DVD along with Slacko 5.6. 10GB would be a better choice however. I also set memory to 192MB and perhaps allocating more might help with browsing from within XP. Better still however just leave browsing to be from within the Puppy environment.

Thanks to all concerned for the SFS.

Burn_IT

#178 Post by Burn_IT »

I use Virtualbox as a means of getting a full portable XP.
Run Puppy and Virtualbox from a USB stick and XP inside it.
Works well on any reasonable machine with 2Gb of memory. 768Mb for Puppy the rest for XP.
Last edited by Burn_IT on Sat 01 Mar 2014, 11:33, edited 1 time in total.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

rufwoof

#179 Post by rufwoof »

The setup I'm looking to achieve is have a pristine version of XP installed in a Virtual Machine, activated (before they pull the plug on supporting XP) and with a freshly installed Office etc. That will run in full screen mode on one Slacko 5.6 desktop and be used just for office type work (spreadsheets, documents).

The other desktop being used for browsing, multi-media etc (Slacko), again from a pristine image.

All data (documents, spreadsheets, music, photographs etc being in a commonly shared 'Documents' root directory.

All of that looks like it might fit onto a single DVD. 3GB windows file, rest for data and Puppy files (multi-media files (videos, music) might have to be copied to a second DVD). With backup and restores being mostly just a few single large files and where each of data, linux operating system (and programs), windows operating system (and programs) can all be backed up/restored individually.

Slacko with VM with XP and Office constantly running in desktop 2 looks to run at around 440MB of memory whilst idle. CPU running at around 33% with a browser also running under Slacko (i.e. as I write this).

nooby

#180 Post by nooby »

This may be the Debian version.

Run all windows inside a Debian Linux version of virtual ...
Sorry it is one aclock and my brain fails me. :)

Robolinux.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/robolinux/?source=pdlp

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=08308

So this is Puppy that do the opposit it run all win
within Dab Linux.

Would that be a good way to use Win through Linux.

I doubt Ms like it though.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rufwoof

#181 Post by rufwoof »

So this is Puppy that does the opposite - it run all win within Linux.

Would that be a good way to use Win through Linux.
Having installed and activated Windows once to a virtual disk, its all in a single file and easy to restore (back to pristine original installed image) or even move to new/replacement PC.

My PC's single core and runs reasonably. With a dual/quad - so much the better. Not though if you use Windows for higher end/graphic intensive stuff.

My first ever youtube : http://youtu.be/THhUmr5iZWc

MyPuppysaysWauWau

#182 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

nancy reagan wrote:Being a noob and having "only 2GB" of RAM my experience is not too positive.

Because after you have xp running you have to install SP1 to 3 which makes it heavy..

At the beginning of the installation you are asked whether you want to make a "fixed" or a "slowly growing" hd.

I choose the latest for that would take up lass memory, but later I learned that a fixed drive seems to work faster.

Well this is the experience from a noob.
Hi Nancy, :D
my XPerience is much, much better. My XP runs pretty fast, and works great :!: (Dualcore @ 2Ghz 3,25 GB RAM)

Let my show you a few pics:

Der Vollbildmodus, so schaut XP (bei mir) normalerweise aus:

Der skalierte Modus (im Fenster) (O_O)

Der nahtlose Modus (o_O)
(hier des Vergleich zw. der Fensterdarstellung (Kacheln) in Linux (JWM) und XP (klassische Ansicht)

Thanks a bunch, Shinobar - well done :)

Regards from Vienna,
Walter

shinobar

virtualbox-4.3.8

#183 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.3.8.sfs
Available from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Wary-511/5.5, Racy-5.5, Lucid, Precise-5.5/5.6.1/5.7.1, and Slacko-5.6/5.7.
For other kernels, you need devx and kernel source packages to build the kernel modules.

shinobar

virtualbox-4.3.10.sfs

#184 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.3.10.sfs

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Wary-511/5.5, Racy-5.5, Lucid, Precise-5.5/5.6.1/5.7.1, and Slacko-5.6/5.7.

shinobar

virtualbox-4.3.12.sfs

#185 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.3.12.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko and more.

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Lucid, Precise-5.7.1, and Slacko-5.7.