VirtualBox for many Puppies

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
rufwoof

#181 Post by rufwoof »

So this is Puppy that does the opposite - it run all win within Linux.

Would that be a good way to use Win through Linux.
Having installed and activated Windows once to a virtual disk, its all in a single file and easy to restore (back to pristine original installed image) or even move to new/replacement PC.

My PC's single core and runs reasonably. With a dual/quad - so much the better. Not though if you use Windows for higher end/graphic intensive stuff.

My first ever youtube : http://youtu.be/THhUmr5iZWc

MyPuppysaysWauWau

#182 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

nancy reagan wrote:Being a noob and having "only 2GB" of RAM my experience is not too positive.

Because after you have xp running you have to install SP1 to 3 which makes it heavy..

At the beginning of the installation you are asked whether you want to make a "fixed" or a "slowly growing" hd.

I choose the latest for that would take up lass memory, but later I learned that a fixed drive seems to work faster.

Well this is the experience from a noob.
Hi Nancy, :D
my XPerience is much, much better. My XP runs pretty fast, and works great :!: (Dualcore @ 2Ghz 3,25 GB RAM)

Let my show you a few pics:

Der Vollbildmodus, so schaut XP (bei mir) normalerweise aus:

Der skalierte Modus (im Fenster) (O_O)

Der nahtlose Modus (o_O)
(hier des Vergleich zw. der Fensterdarstellung (Kacheln) in Linux (JWM) und XP (klassische Ansicht)

Thanks a bunch, Shinobar - well done :)

Regards from Vienna,
Walter

shinobar

virtualbox-4.3.8

#183 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.3.8.sfs
Available from http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Wary-511/5.5, Racy-5.5, Lucid, Precise-5.5/5.6.1/5.7.1, and Slacko-5.6/5.7.
For other kernels, you need devx and kernel source packages to build the kernel modules.
Type 'virtualbox' on a terminal after loaded the virtualbox-xxx.sfs.
Note that this SFS does not support 64bit Puppies.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

shinobar

virtualbox-4.3.10.sfs

#184 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.3.10.sfs

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Wary-511/5.5, Racy-5.5, Lucid, Precise-5.5/5.6.1/5.7.1, and Slacko-5.6/5.7.
For other kernels, you need devx and kernel source packages to build the kernel modules.

shinobar

virtualbox-4.3.12.sfs

#185 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.3.12.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko and more.

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Lucid, Precise-5.7.1, and Slacko-5.7.

slavvo67

#186 Post by slavvo67 »

My puppies are hanging in vbox at the "Making Filesystem Usable." 3HD, Fluxpup, Slacko (not the latest). I posted in "For the Regulars" with no responses. I figured someone here might be able to help.

Thanks,

Slavvo67

Burn_IT

#187 Post by Burn_IT »

Look around/search the forum.
This is/was a known issue.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

eadmaster

#188 Post by eadmaster »

Hi, is there an SFS which has pre-built LKMs compatible with my kernel v3.8.2-upup (Precise-based)?

rupak504

base.pet failed to install

#189 Post by rupak504 »

failed, any reason? solution? :shock: :roll: :shock:
Attachments
fail.jpg
(27.39 KiB) Downloaded 2417 times

Semme

#190 Post by Semme »

Yeah, avoid dbl-posting. Otherwise, forget about that old build and try this one.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

MyPuppysaysWauWau

Virtualbox 4.3.20 for Linux is out now, but...

#191 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

Hi, is there any news?
[size=100][color=darkblue][b]Don't[/b] start because it's [i]easy.[/i] [b]Start[/b] because it's [i]worth trying[/i]. [b]Don't [/b]stop because it's [i]hard[/i]. [b]Stop[/b] because you tried your [i]Best[/i].[/color][/size]

MyPuppysaysWauWau

Made an Icon

#192 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

Hi, if is anybody here, who've Windows in his box OR Puppy as guest in Win... I've made an cute icon. :) I taped two pic, but I done the fine sanding. It was a lot of work...
Attachments
pet2win2k.png
(2.46 KiB) Downloaded 1944 times
[size=100][color=darkblue][b]Don't[/b] start because it's [i]easy.[/i] [b]Start[/b] because it's [i]worth trying[/i]. [b]Don't [/b]stop because it's [i]hard[/i]. [b]Stop[/b] because you tried your [i]Best[/i].[/color][/size]

Moose On The Loose

Virtual box hosted on 5.28.006

#193 Post by Moose On The Loose »

I installed the latest virtual box 4 onto a full install of 5.28.006 even though there were comments about the sound not working as well as on version 3.

After the virtual machine is started at some random time in the next 15 minutes, the computer totally hangs.

I have now been running a virtual machine on the series 3 virtual machine for nearly an hour without trouble.

I have used earlier versions of version 4 on the standard 5.28 without trouble in the past

Virtual:
512Meg
Puppy 5.28.006
All default settings

Host Machine:
Pentium based Asus mother board
4G RAM
Puppy 5.28.006 full install

Has anyone else seen this or do those with 528 puppies use Version 3 because of the sound issue?

ProfeRonald

I need virtualbox por Tahrup 6.0

#194 Post by ProfeRonald »

I need virtualbox por Tahrup 6.0

Please, update for this relase....

MyPuppysaysWauWau

Virtualbox 4.3.20 for Linux is out now, but...

#195 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

Hi everybody and hi shinobar,

the last release is out since several month. It could be the last one. Maybe its bug free!
So please is it possible to convert this one for Puppy :)

Regards from Vienna,
Walter

johnywhy

Re: SFS for all Puppies 4.3.1 / 5.x

#196 Post by johnywhy »

shinobar wrote:virtualbox-4.3.12.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko and more.

It has pre-build kernel modules for Puppy-4.3.1, Lucid, Precise-5.7.1, and Slacko-5.7.
Hi,

Question: What's the best puppy for virtualbox?

After trying unsuccessfully to install devx on Tahrpup, just want to pick the best puppy for vbox.

thx
[b]Now[/b]: X-Tahr 2.0! StretchDog! DevuanDog!
[b]Tops[/b]: TarhNOP Vlina-R2 Racy
[b]Used[/b]: Puppeee Precise Lucid Wary Tahrpup Quirky Slacko MacPup Saluki Puppy Studio LxPupTarh Lina-Lite Lina
[i]i ♥ Puppy[/i]

s243a

Re: SFS for all Puppies 4.3.1 / 5.x

#197 Post by s243a »

johnywhy wrote:
shinobar wrote:virtualbox-4.3.12.sfs for Puppy 4.3.1 and most of Puppies 5.x including Lucid, Precise Puppy, Slacko and more.

Hi,

Question: What's the best puppy for virtualbox?

After trying unsuccessfully to install devx on Tahrpup, just want to pick the best puppy for vbox.

thx
To insall devx on tarpup, I presume it is just a matter of downloading the .sfs file, right clicking on it and selecting "load sfs". At least this is how it is done on other puppy distributions.

on another puppylinux forum they say that it can be found here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... hr_6.0.sfs
Try to match the version of devx with your version of tahrpup

As for which is the best puppy for a virtualbox, I'm tempted to ask which is the best puppy. I tend to prefer distros that are the most up to date. I haven't tried tahrpup but it seems to be maintained more recently than the version I'm using which is "precise". So therefore if I was to start afresh for a 32 bit system I'd give tahrpup a try.

However, an older version of puppy may be more light weight and perhaps the goal of your virtualbox is to minimize ram use, as ram is precious.

For 64 bit systems, I'm currently using fatdog64 but want to try other versions as well. I recently built an iso for fatdog64 with virtualbox guest services installed (see my other thread).

If you are looking for prebuilt images a Google search reveals some:
http://virtualboxes.org/images/puppy-linux/

or if you tell us what system you want to host it in maybe I or someone else can build one for you.

MyPuppysaysWauWau

#198 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

Hi everybody and hi Shinobar,
now Virtualbox 5.0.10 is available, but not for Puppy... in the moment :(

Regards,
Walter

Burn_IT

#199 Post by Burn_IT »

I thought that if you have it installed it will update itself??
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

MyPuppysaysWauWau

#200 Post by MyPuppysaysWauWau »

No, it's not like Fire Fox!