VirtualBox for many Puppies

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
TheAsterisk!

#31 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Darkgame wrote:ive wanted to use vbox on puppy, for a 'portable' gamimg usb drive.
How do u install from sfs?
Or can anyone make or upload the pet version?
I saw it once,4.0.0, but i deleted by pupsave by accident and the pet is now gone?!
With a frugal installaion (when Puppy has a savefile), you just place the SFS in the folder "/mnt/home/" and go to the boot manager (in the menu, "MENU --> System --> BootManager") and select which will load when Puppy starts up.

If you still want a PET, though, I can slap one together later and upload it. (All my packages are available as PETs, but I've removed versions 4.0.0 and 4.0.4 since uploading 4.0.4. I can always make an older version available again for limited downloads.)
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.

Darkgame

#32 Post by Darkgame »

thanks, but nevermind. Ive got it from quickpet and now im playing warcraft 3

TheAsterisk!

#33 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Darkgame wrote:thanks, but nevermind. Ive got it from quickpet and now im playing warcraft 3
Glad to hear it's worked out!

TheAsterisk!

#34 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Alright, everyone. I've made up some packages for 4.0.6. Audio issues with Lucid 525 are worse than ever, though- no sound options work at all. Still seems fine with everything else, though, and 4.0.4 and 3.2.8 can still be made to serve up working audio on 525.

I'll be uploading those later this morning.

(One change I could find: something called "balloon-ctrl" is now in VBox, and I have no idea what it is. It's also either very new or obscure, because web searches didn't help either. If anyone knows what the heck this is, I'm very curious to find out.)

I'll probably also eliminate most of the 4.0.4 packages, except for those Puppy versions which don't work or work albeit more poorly with 4.0.6. (525 with its audio issues comes to mind.)

Be back soon!

TheAsterisk!

UPDATE

#35 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Updated packages to version 4.0.6.

Slight organizational update was also carried out, and is still in progress for older packages.

Brown Mouse

#36 Post by Brown Mouse »

TheAsterisk! wrote:Alright, everyone. I've made up some packages for 4.0.6. Audio issues with Lucid 525 are worse than ever, though- no sound options work at all. Still seems fine with everything else, though,
I just installed your new 4.0.6 as host to Lucid 520 and ran Lucid 525 as guest with perfect sound.Your getting there.Well done :D

TheAsterisk!

#37 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Brown Mouse wrote:I just installed your new 4.0.6 as host to Lucid 520 and ran Lucid 525 as guest with perfect sound.Your getting there.Well done :D
Oh, it very well may work as a guest. 525's audio issues (the ones I mentioned, anyway) were with 525 as a host.

Anyway, thanks!

gcmartin

FATDOG version

#38 Post by gcmartin »

TheAsterisk! wrote: ... Oh, it very well may work as a guest. 525's audio issues (the ones I mentioned, anyway) were with 525 as a host. ...
Is there a PET for FATDOG?
Thanks.

TheAsterisk!

Re: FATDOG version

#39 Post by TheAsterisk! »

gcmartin wrote:
TheAsterisk! wrote: ... Oh, it very well may work as a guest. 525's audio issues (the ones I mentioned, anyway) were with 525 as a host. ...
Is there a PET for FATDOG?
Thanks.
No, sorry. I don't have a 64-bit computer to run Fatdog on, and my computers don't have enough muscle to run a full-fledged emulator. (A big VM is pushy it pretty far for me, honestly.)

Having said that, the 32-bit installer runs as it is from Oracle's site, so if you load the devx and kernel source for Fatdog then run the 64-bit installer, you might be able to install it that way.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 06:00, edited 1 time in total.

KusaNoKaito

#40 Post by KusaNoKaito »

I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 and when running /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup, all I get is this:

Code: Select all

WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 284: /opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: No such file or directory
 ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 302: /opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: No such file or directory
 ...failed!
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
I ideas?

TheAsterisk!

#41 Post by TheAsterisk! »

KusaNoKaito wrote:I'm using Lucid Puppy 5.1.1 and when running /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup, all I get is this:

Code: Select all

WARNING: Deprecated config file /etc/modprobe.conf, all config files belong into /etc/modprobe.d/.
Stopping VirtualBox kernel modules ...done.
Uninstalling old VirtualBox DKMS kernel modules/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 284: /opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: No such file or directory
 ...done.
Trying to register the VirtualBox kernel modules using DKMS/etc/init.d/vboxdrv: line 302: /opt/VirtualBox/src/vboxhost/do_dkms: No such file or directory
 ...failed!
  (Failed, trying without DKMS)
Recompiling VirtualBox kernel modules ...failed!
  (Look at /var/log/vbox-install.log to find out what went wrong)
I ideas?
The binary packages for different Puppy versions don't include the sources to compile the kernel drivers; I cut them out to save some size. That's why it complains the files aren't present.

If things work properly, you shouldn't need to compile them. (You should be using the package "virtualbox-4.0.6-k2.6.33.2.lupu5.pet" if you're running Lucid 511 with the regular kernel, by the way.)

If you do need to compile the kernel drivers, though, you can always download the "virtualbox-4.0.6-all_kernels.pet" package, which does not include already-compiled drivers but still has the source included in the package, and which will compile the drivers during installation of the dot-pet. (Just make sure you have the kernel source module and devx module installed for your Puppy version.)
(Lucid Puppy's kernel source is here.)

I am preparing packages for VBox version 4.1.0 as we speak. The "all_kernels" package has already been prepared and uploaded. I'll update the thread title and post once everything is in place.
In the meantime, if you want to get started right away (8)), you can go to http://www.silverdollarsolutions.com/Pu ... Box-4.1.0/, but you'll have to fend for yourself until I've uploaded the HTML guide page.
Last edited by TheAsterisk! on Sun 28 Aug 2011, 02:53, edited 1 time in total.

TheAsterisk!

#42 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Nevermind version 4.1.0. I ended up skipping right past it, for the most part! :)

Updated to version 4.1.2
Please see the first post for more details.

TheAsterisk!

#43 Post by TheAsterisk! »

I went in and cleaned up (well, a little bit) the scattered HTML pages I had to sort through the packages. It should be a little simpler now.

I also added another simple page the just lists the different packages, because there are some Puppy versions covered only by older packages, namely a few Wary and Quirky releases. It can be easy to just look at the latest VBox page, see nothing for your Puppy and give up.

It's accessible from the main page I link to at the beginning of the thread, and here: all_paks.html

Looking at it, I'm considering deleting all of 4.0.0, 4.0.2, 4.0.4, and 4.1.0. They offer nothing extra in features or compatibility/lack of bugs next to the rest, and I have no packages exclusive to them in terms of kernel or Puppy version, so I don't see the point in hanging on to them. (The rest would remain available, even 3.1.4.) Let me know if anyone needs those packages, otherwise I'll probably delete them in a week or two to save some space.

drblock2

#44 Post by drblock2 »

Asterisk! and Geoffrey - Many thanks.

I have been experimenting with Slacko beta 2, which has the 2.6.37.6 kernel. I downloaded VirtualBox-4.1.0-73009-Linux_x86.run from virtualbox.org, installed the devx file and the kernel sources. VBox compiled with no problems but refused to run because of missing library files.

I had the SDL-1.2.14-i486 package already installed for DosBox so I just downloaded Geoffrey's quirky1.20-libGLU.tar.gz and unpacked the contents into /usr/lib.

Worked perfectly, sound and all.

Keep up the good work!

gcmartin

#45 Post by gcmartin »

Removed Placeholder
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 11 Sep 2011, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.

TheAsterisk!

#46 Post by TheAsterisk! »

drblock2 wrote:Asterisk! and Geoffrey - Many thanks.

I have been experimenting with Slacko beta 2, which has the 2.6.37.6 kernel. I downloaded VirtualBox-4.1.0-73009-Linux_x86.run from virtualbox.org, installed the devx file and the kernel sources. VBox compiled with no problems but refused to run because of missing library files.

I had the SDL-1.2.14-i486 package already installed for DosBox so I just downloaded Geoffrey's quirky1.20-libGLU.tar.gz and unpacked the contents into /usr/lib.

Worked perfectly, sound and all.

Keep up the good work!
Cool! Good to know nothing big seems to be broken in Slacko.

I'm always a bit of a reluctant upgrader, so I probably won't move all my things to a Slacko installation for a while yet. I think I might go ahead and compile and package VBox 4.1.2 this weekend anyway, though. I'll be sure to let you all know if and when I do. 8)

@gcmartin: I'll be sending you a PM reply in the next few minutes.

shinobar

virtualbox-4.1.4-dpup.sfs

#47 Post by shinobar »

virtualbox-4.1.4-dpup.sfs for all Puppies 5.x.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 055#481055

shinobar

virtualbox-4.1.4-1-dpup.sfs

#48 Post by shinobar »

(UPDATE: 14-Oct-2011) virtualbox-4.1.4-1-dpup.sfs
  • Rolled back /opt/VirtualBox/VboxKeyboard.so to that of VirtualBox-3.2.8 because of Japanese keyboard problem.
  • Add kernel module for 2.6.32-smp of recent wary.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

cprivers

Can't run VirtualBox

#49 Post by cprivers »

I installed VirtualBox from quickpet, but when I try to run it I get the message that the kernel driver is not installed and I need to run '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'. I did that but I still get the same error. What now?

Chuck
[i]It's always easy when you know how![/i]

shinobar

Re: Can't run VirtualBox

#50 Post by shinobar »

cprivers wrote:I installed VirtualBox from quickpet, but when I try to run it I get the message that the kernel driver is not installed and I need to run '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'.
depends on the kernel version version of your puppy.
cprivers, what puppy are you using?
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]