Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
DaveS

#16 Post by DaveS »

Terryphi wrote:Haven't we totally converted you yet? ;)
99% :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#17 Post by DaveS »

Barry, I dont know why this should be but Wary runs cooler on my system. I have been monitoring this over time, and Lucid runs at around 58 deg while Wary runs at around 50deg. Now, the actual numbers dont matter, but temperature HAS to be a measure of work being done right?
I have been checking it by booting clean, loading Opera, and leaving it open on Yahoo mail, which gives the system some load.
Fascinating.............
Others have reported fast boot times. Overall, Wary must be efficient. No other conclusion is realistic.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tlchost

No Audio

#18 Post by tlchost »

Wary doesn't detect my onboard sound chip....Quirky and older Puppies do...using the non-small iso.

Help would be appreciated.

Thom

taca0

#19 Post by taca0 »

I still can not resolve the problem of the X crash when plays videos with xv driver. I only find that the problem is with the Libxv maybe sounds obvious but... some one could knows how to fix it??

Flapdoodle

#20 Post by Flapdoodle »

Oh, very nice!
Mouse pad is smoother and responsive,
Ethernet is faster,
Runs cooler.

May have found a minor bug....
The lower right time thingy says GMT+7, but when I look at set timezone it says it is set correctly at GMT-7

It does not seem to cause any problems though.

nooby

#21 Post by nooby »

Dave take up temperature. Wary5 on my Acer D250 show 27C which is incredibly low. Could not be trusted can it?

How else can one get the temp without installing some pet for it?

I went to system and hardware info. What can I coomand on CLI console?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

DaveS

#22 Post by DaveS »

nooby wrote:Dave take up temperature. Wary5 on my Acer D250 show 27C which is incredibly low. Could not be trusted can it?

How else can one get the temp without installing some pet for it?

I went to system and hardware info. What can I coomand on CLI console?
Dont know Nooby. I just use hardinfo like you....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

nooby

#23 Post by nooby »

I am in another puppy now not sure which one. How does one know which puppy one are in? Wary tells with big chars but some of the otehrs don't reveal it at all.

I feel so lost. :) But this one also says it is 27C and that is not likely true at all.

This is Acer D250 and a newly bought Acer D255 has 46 to 52C or something and this D250 stay on 27 all the time so could something be wrong with the sensor maybe?

Flapdoodle

#24 Post by Flapdoodle »

nooby wrote:How else can one get the temp without installing some pet for it?
When I said my machine was cooler, I go by feeling the air exiting the cooling fan. Since it has a variable speed fan, (3 speed I believe) I can get an idea by the sound, the feel of heat, and how much air is blowing.

We have cute things in chat such as OMG, It may sound corny, but I would like to submit TGFP (Thank God for Puppy)

nooby

#25 Post by nooby »

Flap, I am embarrassed. Sure that is a good way to find out. I have several such Digital Temp gadgets to use one only need to fix the probe with a tape or something on same distance each time to get a comparable reliable result.

I go by how often the Fan need to cool the CPU down that should indicate if it goes too high.

The D255 engage the Fan more often on same puppy so that means it is less good at keeping itself low temp.

One way to find out what puppy I am in is to go to Help and often teh Dev present what puppy it is there. I found that out today. by accident phew.

Edit. Tested Wary 5 and Fluppy same distance on both to the Digital probe and Wary fast got up to 30C while Fluppy very slowly has reached 30 after some 30 minutes. the room temperature is 23C so Fluppy and Wary runs cool on this acer D250

neurino

#26 Post by neurino »

Which are changes from Wary 104 (RC)?

Except SM and it's scrolling issues, that don't bother me: I switched instantly to Chrome since javascript engine in SM is extreeemely slow (try to write a mail in Gmail and use the link dialog...) but I guess it's just the js engine, not a Wary problem.

Is it worth the update?

Great work anyway!

edit: I tried skiboardsonline forum link in SeaMonkey 2.0.11 but I have no problems scrolling, it's a bit slow in refreshing but it's almost common with that browser, in my opinion.

DaveS

#27 Post by DaveS »

neurino wrote: edit: I tried skiboardsonline forum link in SeaMonkey 2.0.11 but I have no problems scrolling, it's a bit slow in refreshing but it's almost common with that browser, in my opinion.
True enough, it was just way better in earlier versions is all.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#28 Post by Béèm »

DaveS wrote:LOL.. skiboardsonline.com still scrolls awful.
Everything else looks great so far.
:roll: Lighthouse 500G and SeaMonkey 2.0.11 no problems.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#29 Post by BarryK »

Terryphi wrote:I tested a new frugal install and an upgrade of a frugal install. Everything I have tested so far has worked as expected. Great work Barry!

One small point though. In the Blog you said "the first-boot dialog window that offers you a choice of locale now defaults to UTF8 on". It did not for me - at least I don't think it did and I have plenty of RAM. I did not check locale at the terminal so cannot be completely sure. Certainly, when I went to "Desktop -> Chooselocale country localisation" UTF-8 was not on. This could have been misreporting by the selection dialog. However, when I selected UTF-8 it was saved and worked as expected .
That decision was reverted, also reported in my blog. UTF-8 still has some issues.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#30 Post by BarryK »

Flapdoodle wrote:May have found a minor bug....
The lower right time thingy says GMT+7, but when I look at set timezone it says it is set correctly at GMT-7

It does not seem to cause any problems though.
That is not a bug. There is a *very* long history of discussing this on the forum.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

gcmartin

PPM issue

#31 Post by gcmartin »

Running LIveDVD Wary 5. SM is steady and I'm not getting any issues with anything else thus far....except for 1. PPM.
Seems after installing a couple of packages, I get a PPM Windowbox with message as follows:

Code: Select all

Puppy has searched for any missing 
shared libraries of the packages 
xorg_upgrade_intel-2.10.0-w5
No missing shared libraries

Puppy has examined all user-installed 
packages and found these missing 
babl gegl
what is the recommended course of action when I see this?
Thanks in advance

broomdodger

ppm cursor not visible

#32 Post by broomdodger »

wary500
In PPM if I search and nothing is found, the cursor is not visible within the PPM window but is visible in the error dialog or outside the PPM window.

Is this known?
-Bill

#33 Post by 106498 »

I downloaded the small version and installed on my toshiba nb200, frugal install.

Wireless and wired work. Sound through the headphone jack works, but not through the internal speakers. There are no further problem with sound though. I'm very pleased with this as recent puppies (lupu and fluppy) cause media to hang. I think it's the kernel that is the problem with those.

It also detects my netbooks internal 3g card, and loads the cdc_ether module (usb). I don't know anything about using it so if you would like me to test if further just send me some instructions!
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

pop-pop

Re: Logitech ball mouse not found

#34 Post by pop-pop »

pop-pop wrote:Did a full install on a SATA internal hard drive and my Logitech Trackman Wheel is not recognized. ....
[/code]
My 'puter has a generic PS/2 mouse in the mouse port and also a Logictech Track Ball. I redid the Wary installation and watched more closely.
1) Boot with fresh Wary CD - both mice work
2) Full install Wary (wiping) to SATA hard drive partition - both mice work
3) Reboot Wary from hard drive and go through normal setup steps
4) Reboot and USB mouse no longer works

pop-pop

Re: Logitech ball mouse not found

#35 Post by pop-pop »

pop-pop wrote:
pop-pop wrote:Did a full install on a SATA internal hard drive and my Logitech Trackman Wheel is not recognized. ....
My 'puter has a generic PS/2 mouse in the mouse port and also a Logictech Track Ball. I redid the Wary installation and watched more closely.
1) Boot with fresh Wary CD - both mice work
2) Full install Wary (wiping) to SATA hard drive partition - both mice work
3) Reboot Wary from hard drive and go through normal setup steps
4) Reboot and USB mouse no longer works
Interesting. I just booted into Wary after my morning walk and the USB track ball and PS/2 mouse are both working now.