Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
drblock2

Opera 11

#181 Post by drblock2 »

BarryK wrote:
There was one problem for me, my blog. If you bring up my blog and look at the code blocks, long lines are wrapped, overlapping and unreadable. On SM, Firefox and Internet Explorer, the long code lines do not wrap.

Code blocks should display as-is, long lines should not wrap, and even if they do they should not overlap.

Annoying, because that one bug makes Opera 11 unusable for me.
This is odd. I installed the Opera 11 final (build 1156) from the "deb-other" package as a static install (just unpacked the archive). This allows me to use the same configuration on all my puppy installations on a particular machine.

In any case, the code lines do not wrap or overlap in Wary 500, Lupu 5.2 or Lighthouse 5.0G. Perhaps, Opera does not like your video chip. I am running an nvidia GeForce FX 5200 card with the commercial driver 71.86.14 installed with the video update utility (for Wary 500).

shinobar

/usr/share/ffmpeg seems corrupt

#182 Post by shinobar »

Making 'MPEG4 AVC' fails using FFconvert in Wary.
The files in '/usr/share/ffmpeg' in Wary seems corrupt.

Replace all the directory '/usr/share/ffmpeg' with the one from ffmpeg-runall-0.6-i686-p4.pet.
Then the converting into MPEG4 AVC works.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

drblock2

#183 Post by drblock2 »

don922 wrote:
Can the urxvt screen and lettering be enlarged? I would like background: "LightYellow"; foreground: "navy"; and font: 10x20. Alteratively, I would like to use rxvt with these same settings.

Can this be fixed? This really kills Wary for me.
Try Sakura, superb and easily configurable:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49062.

I am familiar with Sakura from Lighthouse Puppy and haven't installed it in Wary 500, but it certainly is worth a try. You will need the VTE dependencies.

don922

#184 Post by don922 »

drblock2 wrote: Try Sakura, superb and easily configurable:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=49062.

I am familiar with Sakura from Lighthouse Puppy and haven't installed it in Wary 500, but it certainly is worth a try. You will need the VTE dependencies.
I would prefer to stick with a fixed and useable urxvt or rxvt until I decide that Wary 5.0 is what I want to work with for a while.

If I stay with Wary 5.0 I will, probably, try to install mrxvt and Midnight Commander.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

mave

Chromium/Iron in Wary 5

#185 Post by mave »

Does anybody have the Chromium or Iron browser running in Wary 5?

Needs libgconf... and so I looked compiling this.. needs ORBit2, but fails compiling...

Hmmmmm...

mave

shinobar

PXE boot

#186 Post by shinobar »

jamesbond, you are right.

Code: Select all

[ "$PDEV1" = "" ] && DROPOUT="Boot partition"
The line 677 above shoud be simply removed.

#[ "$PDEV1" = "" ] && DROPOUT="Boot partition"
And needs PDEV1 check before grep at line 688 or so.
#well, to get this far, PDEV1 has been supplied.
[ "$DEV1FS" = "" -a "$PDEV1" != "" ] && DEV1FS="`echo "$LESSPARTS0" | grep "${PDEV1}|" | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

scsijon

Re: urxvt too small - not readable

#187 Post by scsijon »

don922 wrote:Frugal install of Wary lite using the Lin'N'Win method on a PII 350. Internet and screen resolution all correct and working on initial boot.

The Problem:
The screen of urxvt is very small about 150mm x 90mm the lettering is less than 3mm - just too small for my old eyes. I can't read this.

from an earler ?wary fix:

Try adding at the end of your menu.lst or whatever equivalent startline

video=640x480

eg with grub the line becomes:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 pmedia=atahd video=640x480

fixed my problem

regards
scsijon

Terryphi

Re: Chromium/Iron in Wary 5

#188 Post by Terryphi »

mave wrote:Does anybody have the Chromium or Iron browser running in Wary 5?

Needs libgconf... and so I looked compiling this.. needs ORBit2, but fails compiling...

Hmmmmm...

mave
Which version of Chromium are you trying to install? I have successfully installed Chromium 6 and now 10 on Wary5 and Quirky130.

You can download libgconf from http://sites.google.com/site/quirkyuk/quirky-tweaks

Chromium 10 also requires libgcrypt and libgpg-error which I will add to the site when I update it later today. Be warned that Chromium 10 definitely does not run on some hardware (and this may also apply to Chromium 6.)
Last edited by Terryphi on Sat 15 Jan 2011, 09:34, edited 1 time in total.

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Abiword 2.8.6 crash:clik find a word previously found

#189 Post by BarryK »

corrisponder60329 wrote:Hi Friends users, I have a feedback work with Abiword. My Wary 5 boots from USB. Still in testing. Abiword chrashed when clik in menu : edit/find
a word previously found. See place the snapshot. Thank you very much. BEST REGARDS.
For me it didn't crash, but Edit -> Find only works once. The second and subsequent times that I chose it in the menu, nothing happened. However, Find and Replace continued to work.

Not good.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: new version of mtpaint

#190 Post by BarryK »

don570 wrote:There's a new version of mtpaint (version 3.34.64)
https://github.com/wjaguar/mtPaint

Apparently it does scaling of document with several options
to be more convenient to user.

I haven't had time to test though.

don922

#191 Post by don922 »

scsijon wrote:
don922 wrote:Frugal install of Wary lite using the Lin'N'Win method on a PII 350. Internet and screen resolution all correct and working on initial boot.

The Problem:
The screen of urxvt is very small about 150mm x 90mm the lettering is less than 3mm - just too small for my old eyes. I can't read this.

video=640x480

fixed my problem

regards
scsijon
I am sorry to say that this fix didn't work for me. I tried a couple of different video sizes in several diffent places in my menulist, but nothing seemed to change the tiny urxvt screen or lettering size.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Sage

#192 Post by Sage »

For me it didn't crash, but Edit -> Find only works once. The second and subsequent times that I chose it in the menu, nothing happened. However, Find and Replace continued to work.
I encountered this many years ago when using regedit Find in 'doze. The pointer gets stuck at the last position in the file that it 'found' the request. One had to physically move back to the beginning of the file to search and find again. There were other similar instances in 'doze apps. M$ never fixed such trivia! No idea whether this is relevant or helpful, much less how to fix it.

mave

#193 Post by mave »

Terryphi wrote:
Which version of Chromium are you trying to install?
I tried Iron 8.0.555, which in Lupu 5.2 is running well.

After adding the namend libs, I get this message in Wary 5 with a new created save file before (only the libs added):
[/# ./chrome-wrapper
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /lib/libz.so.1: no version information available (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
Any ideas? Thanks!

mave[/quote]

Terryphi

#194 Post by Terryphi »

mave wrote:Terryphi wrote:
Which version of Chromium are you trying to install?
I tried Iron 8.0.555, which in Lupu 5.2 is running well.

After adding the namend libs, I get this message in Wary 5 with a new created save file before (only the libs added):
[/# ./chrome-wrapper
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by /initrd/mnt/dev_save/system/iron-linux/chrome)
Any ideas? Thanks!

mave
You probably need to add or change some symlinks. In Wary5 for Chromium I have these:

/lib/libc.so.6 is a symlink to /lib/libc-2.10.1.so
/lib/libz.so.1 is a symlink to /lib/libz.so.1.2.3
/usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6 is a symlink to /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6.0.10

If you do not have the necessary libraries you can download them from http://sites.google.com/site/quirkyuk/quirky-tweaks .

** Please backup your warysave.2fs file before you try this! **

Shep

#195 Post by Shep »

don922 wrote: I would like background: "LightYellow"; foreground: "navy"; and font: 10x20.
Sorry to hear there's a dissatisfied customer. I can do colours.

urxvt -bg lightyellow -fg navy -geometry 135x50
Two out of three ain't bad. (meatloaf) :wink:

EDIT
Wary has a 10x20 font, not very appealing. Maybe 9x15 would suffice?

urxvt -bg yellow -fg navy -fn 10x20
Perhaps someone can help you to make more fonts/sizes?

urxvt --help
urxvt -help
Last edited by Shep on Sun 16 Jan 2011, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.

ravensrest

#196 Post by ravensrest »

Don922, in ~/.jwmrc you should find a line like this:
<Program label="MP console editor" icon="mp16.xpm">rxvt -geometry 80x25 -e mp</Program>
Change the "geometry" setting to something else. Also, if starting from the desktop icon, pass it a parameter like "-g 80x32" or whatever geometry you want. You can also change some parameters like font style, color, etc in ~/.Xdefaults or from the command line. Type "Urxvt -h" to discover the installed options and resources. Go online and Google "Urxvt commands".
BS
scsijon wrote:

The Problem:

video=640x480

fixed my problem

regards
scsijon

don570

some observations on ptiming

#197 Post by don570 »

wrong thread
Last edited by don570 on Sat 15 Jan 2011, 19:33, edited 1 time in total.

otropogo

Wary5 Xorg Intel setup issues

#198 Post by otropogo »

Have just burned Wary full version to CD and booted it for the first time (using it now).

I've run into a few issues:

1. not enough time to hit F2

2. second boot, after getting to F2 in time, I tried to boot without loading to SFS to RAM using this syntax:

puppy pfix=RAM pfix=nocopy

in order to stop the search for puppy files and save the copy of sfs to RAM.

The first command worked, the second - maybe not. The display read "copying to RAM"

Is my syntax wrong, is the command correct, but not working, or is everything working, but the "copying.." message is displaying erroneously?

Now for the important problem:

I'm running an Intel Motherboard. I can't find the model number right now, but it uses a 2.5Ghz Celeron cpu and has a 400Mhz FSB and embedded video (I do know it's pre-PCI-Express).

I assumed it would use an Intel video driver, so I told the xorg wizard to try i810, and it responded by removing the Intel driver. After that started a game of musical drivers.

The essential problem - the wizard doesn't know which driver to use, and when trying drivers, can't tell what either the chip or the monitor can handle (the Monitor, admittedly, is a bit difficult, being a converted Sun Microsystems 20" CRT). Puppy 4.3.1's wizard has some difficulties with this combo too, but handles them much better.

Whether using the Intel or the i810 driver, the Wary wizard presents a full complement of resolutions and colour bits, up to 1600x1200x24, and pronounces every one of them "OK for Monitor, OK for video card".

NOT!

So basically, one has to try each combination to find out what will work. The problem then is that, when one combo is aborted with CTL-ALT-BACKSPACE, the wizard removes the driver in use and replaces it with the other one, and you start all over. So you end up going back and forth between the i810 and the Intel driver (oh, there's also a mention at some point of a "newer driver", but I failed to discover how one accesses that one, much less whether it would work).

Eventually, I found a combination that worked under the i810 driver (1280x1024x24), but had to tweak the dsiplay rates downward to 64 Horizontal and 60 refresh (which seems a mite slow - at least I'm pretty sure I get faster rate reports from Puppy 4.3.1).

But the bottom line is, that after all this monkeying, I still don't know whether I'm running the best driver available under Wary. I suspect not.

Just to say something positive:

I find Mplayer much superior to Gxine, at least after a short comparison.

I also appreciate that a couple of useless steps have been cut out of the firewall automatic setup.

Remains to be seen whether I can get my very few essential apps running under Wary (UFRAW, XFPROT, Chinese Character display....)
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

rcrsn51

#199 Post by rcrsn51 »

puppy pfix=RAM pfix=nocopy
in order to stop the search for puppy files and save the copy of sfs to RAM.
If you check the examples under F2, the correct syntax should be

puppy pfix=ram,nocopy
However, I'm not sure this is what you want. The option "pfix=ram" says to ignore any sfs or pupsave files on the hard drive and load entirely from the CD. The option "pfix=nocopy" says to NOT copy the sfs file off the CD into memory. Instead the CD is left mounted so Puppy continually reads from it when you run applications.

otropogo

Wary_500 corrupts multisession CD during save

#200 Post by otropogo »

I burned Wary5 to a multisession CD. As reported in the Pburn thread, I successfully did a complete disk blank with pburn 3.3.1, then burned the iso with burniso2cd, and successfully verified it, before booting up.

When I ended my session by using the shut down option, I got an unfamiliar save screen (blue, instead of the regular grey, IIRC), and selected Save to CD.

That evoked a blue screen with IIRC large black lettering, telling that if the save was delayed unduly, I should make sure the tray was closed and hit enter.

This line repeated several times before I finally hit enter. The line keep rewriting.

Meanwhile, the tray continued closed, and the disk light was blinking furiously.

Finally, I gave up and hit CTL-ALT-DEL, and the display turned black and announced "Puppy is shutting down".

This was followed by the familiar grey save screen, and again I selected "Save to CD", which resulted in a black terminal screen on which I could type.

Obviously, the save function wasn't working (since no prompt for file size appeared), so I did a hard reset.

The disk is no longer bootable.

In restrospect, I'm wondering whether the issue is because the sfs file wasn't written to RAM, and Puppy was unable to read from AND write to the CD (I do have a swap file on one of the hard drives which Puppy 4.3.1 manages to find, but there's in indication Wary noticed it).

Or maybe Wary doesn't know how to write to a CD-RW?

Oh, well, I should be used to this sort of mess by now after all these Puppy years. And I should have known better than to get sucked into using the multisession option just because Flash swears by it.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo