Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 28 Jul 2014, 04:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 16 of 21 [308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 12:49    Post subject: Re: firefox
Subject description: gmail not loading

ttuuxxx wrote:
did you try my fix I posted for you?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=487221#487221

ttuuxxx

Sorry, not yet. I haven't been back in Wary since, but will try it later today and let you know.

My real life suddenly and unexpectedly got very busy, and I'm having to use a working browser with all my passwords and bookmarks much more steadily than usual.

Update:

Ok. Have tried it now, or at least , tried to try it. But ran into a snag or two...

I first ran the pet, and that resulted in the addition of a second Firefox tab in the Program/Intenet menu, giving me four links for Firefox (the desktop icon, the two FF tabs, and the Seamonkey tab), but still none for Seamonkey.

Then I tried to follow your instruction to:

"...make sure that Firefox is located in usr/lib/firefox if it has a number on it then just right click on the folder with the number and choose systemlink and call it firefox. "

But I don't see any "firefox" folder in usr/lib, don't know how to "make sure" it's there, and have no way to complete the task.

What I do see is a folder named Seamonkey 2.0.11, beside it a symlink (I think - it sports a square with a curved arrow on the top left corner) named just Seamonkey, and another folder named Mozilla, which contains two folders called "extensions" and " plugins".

I thought it prudent to postpone your suggestion to delete root/mozilla/firefox (which does exist) until checking back with you.

Do you happen to have a fix for Firefox's inability to remember my passwords? That might make it a bit more usable...

Update 2: FF's password manager suddenly worked again (after five or six failures), could it simply be super-slow. Displaying pages of the forum is like watching molasses run...

I tried installing the Wary Wine pet with all dependencies just now, and after declaring success, Pet manager popup up some windows I couldn't read because of subsequent popups that seem to indicate missing dependencies, then pet manager itself crashed and had to be killed.

I notice too in passing that the totally untrue claims of being able to boot from ZIP and L120 disks are still there in the Installation wizard of Wary5, and this almost two years after two of us spent dozens of hours documenting the fact that not only weren't these claims true, but they had NEVER been true!

What does it take to get Puppy's doodoo removed?

Aitch

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 17:37    Post subject:  

otropogo wrote:

I would think a PM/post to Barry K is best, explaining, with links, what you went through [Yes, I remember it well! Wink ] and results, and current finding/disappointment

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=52

http://bkhome.org/blog/

I can only assume it wasn't previously brought to his attention or it's a n other oversight?

Aitch Smile
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 18:19    Post subject: Re: Geany & PPM  

_Mark_ wrote:
I installed Geany with PPM and have now decided to remove and now the weird part PPM confirms successfully removed but is still there and working fine
I tried installing and removing again but still the same.

Does PPM produce any logs, to investigate further?

This is on Wary 5 frugal install on a USBHD

If you run PPM and choose the Document category, Geany is not offered. This is because Wary already has Geany installed.

If you did get a Geany PET and install it, then uninstall it, of course it is still there as it was there before you installed the PET.

_Mark_

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 18:31    Post subject: Re: Geany & PPM  

BarryK wrote:
_Mark_ wrote:
I installed Geany with PPM and have now decided to remove and now the weird part PPM confirms successfully removed but is still there and working fine
I tried installing and removing again but still the same.

Does PPM produce any logs, to investigate further?

This is on Wary 5 frugal install on a USBHD

If you run PPM and choose the Document category, Geany is not offered. This is because Wary already has Geany installed.

If you did get a Geany PET and install it, then uninstall it, of course it is still there as it was there before you installed the PET.

Well I am embarrassed to say I never noticed it was already installed Embarassed

What an idiot makes perfect sense now
Thanks Barry and Happy Birthday by the way
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 19:56    Post subject: Re: firefox

otropogo wrote:

I notice too in passing that the totally untrue claims of being able to boot from ZIP and L120 disks are still there in the Installation wizard of Wary5, and this almost two years after two of us spent dozens of hours documenting the fact that not only weren't these claims true, but they had NEVER been true!

Thats odd!

I've been booting Puppy 412 and other versions smaller than that
from Iomega Zip100 drives for a few years without any problems.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 20:58    Post subject: Re: firefox

rjbrewer wrote:
otropogo wrote:

Thats odd!

I've been booting Puppy 412 and other versions smaller than that
from Iomega Zip100 drives for a few years without any problems.

Were they USB drives? To be precise, I did actually manage to install one version of Puppy to an LS120 once (after many, many hours of trying over a period of weeks), but it was a futile, if heroic effort, since the installation procedure was extremely flakey, and Pmount was never able to access the LS120, it was only doable through MUT, and only on that one version (3.01 R, IIRC). And If you needed to format the LS120, you had to do it on a Windows system.

What we worked on over a period of months was a way of running Puppy either from a SCSI or a Parallel Port drive, using a boot floppy. The latter was specifically advertised as an option in Wakepup . We went all the way back to Version 1.x, trying to find where things went wrong - but couldn't find a version that would actually work as advertised.

otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 21:00    Post subject:  

Aitch wrote:
otropogo wrote:

I would think a PM/post to Barry K is best, explaining, with links, what you went through [Yes, I remember it well! Wink ] and results, and current finding/disappointment

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=52

http://bkhome.org/blog/

I can only assume it wasn't previously brought to his attention or it's a n other oversight?

Aitch Smile

Hi Aitch. Barry knows about the LS120 problem or did, because he mentioned way back when having an LS120 drive but no disk for testing. I then mailed him a brand new one, and he acknowledged receipt. But I don't recall seeing any further report on the matter after that.

otropogo

PostPosted: Tue 18 Jan 2011, 21:59    Post subject: Wary5 gives Kernel Panic on Compaq Presario 5827
Subject description: booted off Multisession DVD with Wary5 - crash at bootup with kernel panic

Booted Compaq Presario 5827 w/768MB RAM with Multisession DVD previously used successfully to boot off a newer Intel machine.

"...copying to ram

Setting up the layered filesystem...
Performing a 'switch_root' to the layered filesystem...Kernel panic - not syncing
g: Attempted to kill init!"

translation??

don922

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan 2011, 02:53    Post subject: Need a 10x20 font in Urxvt  

I am using Wary 5.0 Lite on a PII 350 with a new 17" monitor.

I would like to get a 10x20 font to use in Urxvt. Where can I get it and How do I install it?

Wary 5 is supposed to be an "old equipment" Puppy. Old eyes need something better than 7x14; even 9x15B is too small for my eyes.

I don't want to sound like "otro", I can't read the screen in Urxvt -- I am using Sakura, but it uses TTF and I can't find anything that works as well as 10x20. Any suggestions?

don922

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan 2011, 10:41    Post subject: JWM tray error  

Adding a new launch button to tray causes the screen selector boxes to be removed. Compare graphics below.

I have used these same launch buttons on Puppy 4.12, Puppy 4.00 and Puppy 214X without a problem.

Can this be fixed?
412.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   7.92 KB
 Viewed   1177 Time(s)

412.jpg

500.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   11.93 KB
 Viewed   1184 Time(s)

500.jpg

Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan 2011, 12:29    Post subject:  

don922, if you like the 412 drive icons, copy them to your 5.xx installation.
I did something like this for the stardust theme I like most.

Use peppyy's puppysearch

Last edited by Béèm on Wed 19 Jan 2011, 13:00; edited 1 time in total
Bill253

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan 2011, 12:32    Post subject: Firefox taking over SeaMonkey
Subject description: Similar experience as otropogo

PostPosted: Yesterday, at 11:49 pm Post subject: Re: firefox
Subject description: gmail not loading Reply with quote
ttuuxxx wrote:
did you try my fix I posted for you?

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=487221#487221

ttuuxxx

otropogo wrote:

<snip>
Update:

Ok. Have tried it now, or at least , tried to try it. But ran into a snag or two...

I first ran the pet, and that resulted in the addition of a second Firefox tab in the Program/Intenet menu, giving me four links for Firefox (the desktop icon, the two FF tabs, and the Seamonkey tab), but still none for Seamonkey.

Then I tried to follow your instruction to:

"...make sure that Firefox is located in usr/lib/firefox if it has a number on it then just right click on the folder with the number and choose systemlink and call it firefox. "

But I don't see any "firefox" folder in usr/lib, don't know how to "make sure" it's there, and have no way to complete the task.

What I do see is a folder named Seamonkey 2.0.11, beside it a symlink (I think - it sports a square with a curved arrow on the top left corner) named just Seamonkey, and another folder named Mozilla, which contains two folders called "extensions" and " plugins".

I thought it prudent to postpone your suggestion to delete root/mozilla/firefox (which does exist) until checking back with you.
<snip>

Sorry this reply isn't as pretty as you experienced users make yours, but it's my first time trying to make a reply on this forum.

My experience with SeaMonkey and Firefox has been almost exactly what otropogo has reported. I might add that the screen icon for 'email' and menu pick for 'SeaMonkey mail and news' also launch Firefox. Since running the seamonkey-fix-1.pet that ttuuxxx graciously supplied, I too now have two menu tabs for 'Firefox web browser', along with the two SeaMonkey tabs (mail and news, web browser) all of which launch Firefox.

I don't miss the SeaMonkey web browser so much, but kind of liked the mail client. Is it even possible to have both mozilla products available at the same time (technosaurus seemed to indicate it is not)?

As a new puppy user I'm frustrated by how easy it is to 'break' things and not know how to restore them. The initial install from CD went very smoothly. I'm about ready to try to figure out how to uninstall/reinstall the whole mess and start over. Please be patient with this old Windows user trying to find his way through Puppy.

Bill253
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan 2011, 12:47    Post subject: Re: firefox

otropogo wrote:

Were they USB drives? To be precise, I did actually manage to install one version of Puppy to an LS120 once (after many, many hours of trying over a period of weeks), but it was a futile, if heroic effort, since the installation procedure was extremely flakey, and Pmount was never able to access the LS120, it was only doable through MUT, and only on that one version (3.01 R, IIRC). And If you needed to format the LS120, you had to do it on a Windows system.

What we worked on over a period of months was a way of running Puppy either from a SCSI or a Parallel Port drive, using a boot floppy. The latter was specifically advertised as an option in Wakepup . We went all the way back to Version 1.x, trying to find where things went wrong - but couldn't find a version that would actually work as advertised.

Regular zip 100 drive in pc.

If your pc bios had usb zip, ls120 and sccsi boot options, like this old "Power Spec" pc, it also would probably help.
Zippy.png
 Description   
 Filesize   133.06 KB
 Viewed   1178 Time(s)

Zippy.png

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

ravensrest

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan 2011, 18:19    Post subject: FFConvert not working correctly  

I can't seem to get FFConvert multimedia converter to produce playable files. If I try to select and convert Magic-Pilot.ogg to an mp3 file using ffconvert, a file approximately 2.4 meg long is produced, but it lasts only a few milliseconds and is not recognizable. The command line produced by ffconvert is:
Code:
ffmpeg -i "/data/music/1970s/Magic-Pilot.ogg" -y -f mp3  -acodec libvorbis -ab 128k    "/data/Magic-Pilot.mp3"

If I just convert using ffmpeg directly using either of these two statements from the command line:
Code:
ffmpeg -i "/data/music/1970s/Magic-Pilot.ogg" -ab 128k "/data/magicpilot.mp3"
ffmpeg -i /data/music/1970s/Magic-Pilot.ogg -ab 128k /data/magicpilot.mp3

a 2.7 meg mp3 file is produced that plays correctly in any mp3 player I have tried.

What is wrong with ffconvert?
ttuuxxx

PostPosted: Wed 19 Jan 2011, 20:54    Post subject:  

Hi guys can you please left click help on firefox and select "About Mozilla Firefox" And tell me which version is installed and later today I'll boot Wary and make a proper fix for it, The last one was an educated guess but looks like something is out of the ordinary compared to a regular firefox install.
ttuuxxx

Page 16 of 21 [308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: