Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback

Please post any bugs you have found
its-me-again

#286 Post by its-me-again »

Hi i have trouble with the latest version of firefox here http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewCat=Wary

after installing it first it is not traditional firefox it is another version based on it.

2nd there is still the problem with seamonkey not working after the install. clicking on seamonkey opens the firefox version.

also another thing can wary use quirky pets if so this would rock as quirky pets are great

nooby

#287 Post by nooby »

Wary does not boot on my Acer D250 that have an Intel Atom N270 CPU.

If I use acpi=off on Lupu 520 then that one boot but not shut down.

Could someone suggest a better boot code that would allow me to both boot and shut down properly?

Fluppy though always boot and shut down properly. So Jemimah has done something that works on my gear.

When it fails to boot it report

b44-pci-bridge and sometimes it shows ssb0 ssb1 ssb2 ssb3 which may be cores on the CPU? Could that explain why it does not boot?

My crazy stomach or gut feeling is that it has to do with IRQ16 but I know nothing so that could be a dead alley whim thing.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

rerwin

Minor modem cleanup

#288 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
I have noticed a few details that can be cleaned up easily. They are attached. The only logic change is to the SL modem driver firmware tarball. It now has separate init scripts for the slusb driver and the others.

In testing my SL USB modem, the bootup listing shows a set of traceback messages that seem related to the slusb driver module. (And the modem is unusable.) The message log is also attached. Considering that support for that module seems to have ended for kernels later than 2.6.30, maybe that module should be removed from wary and woof.

I am currently updating all of the PCI-modem pinstall scripts to better handle the cases where an appropriate driver is absent from puppy. They remove the init script if there is no driver module. Although I am changing all of them, the usefulness of this is only where the module is invoked by a udev rule instead of a modalias (e.g., agrsm and intel537). They are not needed for wary (which has all the drivers), but seem appropriate for woof and any distros that would allow the user to add PCI modem drivers.

EDIT: I just discovered a subtle bug in /usr/sbin/remasterpup2. It causes a message to omit the CD/DVD burner device name in a message. Line 173 begins with:
The burner drive is /dev/$BURNERDRV,
but should escape the "$" as done in all the other messages using that variable, to become:
The burner drive is /dev/\$BURNERDRV,

Richard
Attachments
messages-slusb_traceback.tar.gz
SmartLink USB driver crash during bootup.
(7.26 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
Last edited by rerwin on Wed 02 Feb 2011, 00:40, edited 2 times in total.

dogle

#289 Post by dogle »

Personally I am 100% with BarryK on his 'minimalist' approach. (My favorite wallpaper is the 'light grey' one ... can there really be such sad people out there as want to sit staring at wallpaper all day I think to myself .. ah, wait, that fella Bill thought so). However, when I saw the current Wary default wallpaper the faint splodges in the background had me genuinely worried that I had a faulty screen. I therefore plead that the default wallpaper be changed.

I have disliked icons ever since Bill invented their use in order to turn the world into his mushroom farm .... all too successfully .... very often they are more confusing than helpful (the essence of good mushroom farming perhaps). The only one which really appealed to me was the PET-in-a-box one - inspired! - always good for a smile. It has now been replaced by a briefcase - how meaningful is that?! - a case for reversion IMHO.

It took me a long time to figure out that the strange hieroglyph, bottom right, might be an allusion to a Winchester stack .. of about that era .. and when the Rosetta stone finally dropped on my foot -ouch!- to understand that it had something to do with storage capacity. Not newbie-friendly .... things were better in the 431 epoch. (More serious note, it gives markedly different display v/v lupu on the same installation).

The biggest niggle is the mute 'cell' icon, in laptop mode. Some might go through life and die without knowing that if you click on it you will see a table of figures - "with the unfounded ring of high precision" (right, Sage?). This presentation seems vastly inferior to the % indicator in 431 which - however inaccurate - I really found very much more useful. (OTOH the progressive laptop screen dimming with the 431 version was a serious nuisance, anyone know how to override that?).

Sylvander

#290 Post by Sylvander »

1. I have no sound on Wary-500. :(

2. PCI sound card is shown in hardinfo->devices->PCI_devices as:
Multimedia Audio Controller
C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738

3. "Alsa Sound wizard" cannot find any supported PCI card.

4. "Probe for legacy ISA sound cards/chips" finds no suitable drivers! :(

5. Are there any drivers I can install?

Sage

#291 Post by Sage »

CM8738
Those things are ubiquitous! Couple of things you could try:
- use another CM number close to 8738
- just run through a selection of other drivers to see if one fires up
If none works, time to knock (loudly) on BK's door because there will be thousands (millions?!) also requiring support.
But you should already have checked whether it's running on the PCI or ISA bus; see my discussions in another thread for ISA cards.

tlchost

#292 Post by tlchost »

Sage wrote:
If none works, time to knock (loudly) on BK's door because there will be thousands (millions?!) also requiring support.
Hope Springs Eternal.

While I have knocked on the door at least once in the forum, and perhaps another time or so, no one has said "Yes, who's there?" or "Try this." or any response that I could see.

So in the spirit on knocking loudly:

Wary5 will not detect my onboard audio chip. Puppies that do see it tell me it is and hda-intel Intel Corp 82801G (ICH7 Family).

I'd love to try Wary....but it simply does not see my sound chip. I'll assume I have no technical skills and request that someone give me some hints on what to do, other than try other drivers that the sound wizard detects, since none of them work.

Thanks
Thom

Sage

#293 Post by Sage »

Presume that it runs in Mint? Most HW does. That is a *buntu/Deb derivative, so it might be possible to copy their driver into Lupu (if Lupu doesn't do it direct) then copy it to Wary, in which it might still not work directly, but may need less breathing on? There are a dozen or so really clever guys around here whom you might PM? Tux, o1micro, Tazoc - the guys in Queensland are going to be too busy for a while.
I speak in ignorance of coding constraints, as usual...

Terryphi

#294 Post by Terryphi »

tlchost: I have the Intel 82801G audio chip in my desktop machine and it works for me on Wary 500. Having said that I think there is something wrong with Wary's sound setup because on my laptop Wary does not detect a very common Via sound card. I gave up after a few tries - it may just be temperamental! I wonder if Barry has tweaked/broken the Alsa Sound Wizard recently?

tlchost

#295 Post by tlchost »

Terryphi wrote:tlchost: I have the Intel 82801G audio chip in my desktop machine and it works for me on Wary 500. Having said that I think there is something wrong with Wary's sound setup because on my laptop Wary does not detect a very common Via sound card. I gave up after a few tries
I'm sure there are folks that enjoy trouble shooting....I don't at all. So, unless I hear something that would lead to a fix, Wary will be yet another OS that I can not use.

Thom

BarryK
Puppy Master

#296 Post by BarryK »

whatupuppy wrote:Hello, again I on the IBM A22m, I used the option of puppy acpi=off got further but stuck at lupu_520.sfs not found (image attached).

Where do I go from here?
You are posting to the wrong thread. Here we are discussing Wary Puppy 5.0.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

BarryK
Puppy Master

#297 Post by BarryK »

its-me-again wrote:also another thing can wary use quirky pets if so this would rock as quirky pets are great
Yep, in vast majority of cases you can use them in Wary.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

maddox

#298 Post by maddox »

I was a bit vague in my last post so did a bit of digging, hope this bit of feedback will help some others.

Compaq deskpro EN series SFF 350Mhz, working o/b snd chip en18xx (alsa isa legacy card detection)

Wary-500 live-cd and no sound: ran alsawizard (aka alsaconf), it drops to isa legacy detection with all card/modules ticked.
No isa cards found : en18xx o/b snd card isn't detected.
..the snd card database file isn't populated in /var/tmp during and after the run.
../etc/alsa.conf file contains default values from alsaconf.
2nd run of alsaconf with only the es18xx module ticked, card is detected then configured and test snd is played, ok.

Next step, clean slate hd puppy full install to a ext3 fs using grub4dos, no sound
ran alsaconf (alsawizard), /var/tmp snd card database is populated, the script ran searching for snd card with progress bar (this seem logical)
(full_install ran a diff fnct cmpd to live-cd, live-cd proposed to tick/untick cards/modules)
chose es18xx snd-es18xx from list, sound ok
checked volume levels in /etc/asound.state (contains PCM & PCM1) and retrovol full window values are correct.
2nd boot of wary full install, rechecked volume levels in /etc/asound.state (contains PCM & PCM1) same as initial values,
but retrovol full window value of pcm was muted (that's why I got no sound) & pcm1 value was at ~50% (also reduced)
.. running 'alsactl -f /etc/asound.state restore' on 2nd boot will put the levels up to norm in retrovol.
This just seems to delay by 1 boot, the mute of retrovol pcm ie: no sound with /etc/asound.state values reduced.
/etc/asound.state file changes seem to be taken into account after following boot (it doesn't seem to be the gouverner file)

snipit from 1st & 2nd boot of full install /etc/asound.state file
control.11 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 15'
iface MIXER
name 'PCM Playback Volume'
value.0 14
value.1 14
}
control.12 {
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 15'
iface MIXER
index 1
value.0 14
value.1 14
}

and snipit from 3rd boot of full install
control.11 {
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 15'
iface MIXER
value.0 0
value.1 0
}
control.12 {
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 2
comment.range '0 - 15'
iface MIXER
index 1
value.0 8
value.1 8
}

edited 1 time
Attachments
retrovol-1b.png
retrovol levels on 2nd full install boot
(3.94 KiB) Downloaded 1330 times

zekebaby

#299 Post by zekebaby »

tlchost wrote:
Sage wrote:If none works, time to knock (loudly) on BK's door because there will be thousands (millions?!) also requiring support.
Hope Springs Eternal.

While I have knocked on the door at least once in the forum, and perhaps another time or so, no one has said "Yes, who's there?" or "Try this." or any response that I could see.

So in the spirit on knocking loudly:

Wary5 will not detect my onboard audio chip. Puppies that do see it tell me it is and hda-intel Intel Corp 82801G (ICH7 Family).

I'd love to try Wary....but it simply does not see my sound chip. I'll assume I have no technical skills and request that someone give me some hints on what to do, other than try other drivers that the sound wizard detects, since none of them work.
I too have had sound issues with Wary (and others as well) so you're not alone. I've been doing some regression testing to try to see when the problem occurred in hopes of fixing it myself. My problem is that sound IS detected when I start with a clean warysave file, but disappears sometime after a handful of reboots. I'm going to post my results in another post.

Did you try running Puppy 4.3.1 - I have absolutely no sound issues with it.

tlchost

#300 Post by tlchost »

zekebaby wrote:
Did you try running Puppy 4.3.1 - I have absolutely no sound issues with it.
Yes....no problems with 4.31, quirky1.2, Think Linux, Fluppy.

I have to conclude that for my hardware, Wary is busted

Thom.

Bill253

Re: FireFox vs: SeaMonkey

#301 Post by Bill253 »

On Mon Jan 31, 2001 BarryK wrote:
I have re-uploaded the FF PET, think it should fix the problem:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02118
I had read on Barry's blog that he had made another tweak to the Foxfire pet.

Finally got around to testing it on my machine this morning. After downloading the new pet from the link posted on his blog, I now have Foxfire(Namoroka 3.6.13) and SM browser and mail client all working together.

Had to move back to Wary 5.0 from Lupu 5.2.0 where I've been quite happily using Firefox and Thunderbird for a couple of weeks now, but figured I had better test the tweak since I was one of the ones 'complaining' about it.. :wink:

Thanks again for all your work on this issue and Puppy in general.

Bill253

whatupuppy

#302 Post by whatupuppy »

Hello all.. I started a new thread for my issue with the IBM A22M.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=64482

I have the same issue with WARY 5.0.

whatupuppy

#303 Post by whatupuppy »

[/img]
Attachments
wary_5.JPG
(53.1 KiB) Downloaded 742 times

tengzelius

Volume icon & sound disappears

#304 Post by tengzelius »

IBM NetVista
-Computer-
Processor : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1.70GHz
Memory : 512MB (197MB used)
Operating System : Puppy Linux 0.50
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 03 Feb 2011 10:48:19 PM GMT+5
-Display-
Resolution : 800x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4
-Input Devices-
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Generic Wheel Mouse
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-4167B
ATA WDC WD400BB-00JH
SD/MMC Card Reader

ALSA & numerous retrovol pets did not resolve. Problem occurs after reboot every time I listen to WABC News Talk Radio via internet. Never happens in 431. Only solution is to save a copy of the good save file in a folder and use it to revert to good sound. Wary_500.SFS file always OK. Somehow it is the Kernel which sends the RAM file to save at shutdown that is defective.

Can I delete the vmlinuz & copy the good 431 vmlinuz into the WARY folder?

Lou Tengzelius (DOB 1930)
Attachments
Snap4.jpg
View
(158.25 KiB) Downloaded 1723 times

carolus

#305 Post by carolus »

How to boot Wary using grub4dos?

I've been booting Puppy 2.16 and 4.12 by chaining from the Windows XP bootloader to grub4dos to a USB flash drive as described in:

http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1058

However, this method does not work for wary 5.0. Using the following entry in menu.lst, wary does not seem able to find wary_500.sfs in the root of the FAT16 USB flash drive.

title wary puppy 5 persistent (not working)
rootnoverify=(hd0,1)
kernel /nixboot/wary50/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=usbflash
initrd /nixboot/wary50/initrd.gz