Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Sep 2014, 11:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary Puppy 5.0-final feedback
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 21 [308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec 2010, 02:36    Post subject: PPM issue  

Running LIveDVD Wary 5. SM is steady and I'm not getting any issues with anything else thus far....except for 1. PPM.
Seems after installing a couple of packages, I get a PPM Windowbox with message as follows:
Code:
Puppy has searched for any missing
shared libraries of the packages
xorg_upgrade_intel-2.10.0-w5
No missing shared libraries

Puppy has examined all user-installed
packages and found these missing
babl gegl
what is the recommended course of action when I see this?
Thanks in advance

broomdodger

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec 2010, 04:33    Post subject: ppm cursor not visible  

wary500
In PPM if I search and nothing is found, the cursor is not visible within the PPM window but is visible in the error dialog or outside the PPM window.

Is this known?
-Bill

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec 2010, 06:23    Post subject:  

I downloaded the small version and installed on my toshiba nb200, frugal install.

Wireless and wired work. Sound through the headphone jack works, but not through the internal speakers. There are no further problem with sound though. I'm very pleased with this as recent puppies (lupu and fluppy) cause media to hang. I think it's the kernel that is the problem with those.

It also detects my netbooks internal 3g card, and loads the cdc_ether module (usb). I don't know anything about using it so if you would like me to test if further just send me some instructions!

pop-pop

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec 2010, 08:22    Post subject: Re: Logitech ball mouse not found  

pop-pop wrote:
Did a full install on a SATA internal hard drive and my Logitech Trackman Wheel is not recognized. ....
[/code]

My 'puter has a generic PS/2 mouse in the mouse port and also a Logictech Track Ball. I redid the Wary installation and watched more closely.
1) Boot with fresh Wary CD - both mice work
2) Full install Wary (wiping) to SATA hard drive partition - both mice work
3) Reboot Wary from hard drive and go through normal setup steps
4) Reboot and USB mouse no longer works
pop-pop

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec 2010, 09:30    Post subject: Re: Logitech ball mouse not found  

pop-pop wrote:
pop-pop wrote:
Did a full install on a SATA internal hard drive and my Logitech Trackman Wheel is not recognized. ....

My 'puter has a generic PS/2 mouse in the mouse port and also a Logictech Track Ball. I redid the Wary installation and watched more closely.

Interesting. I just booted into Wary after my morning walk and the USB track ball and PS/2 mouse are both working now.
rjbrewer

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec 2010, 13:20    Post subject: Re: Logitech ball mouse not found  

pop-pop wrote:
pop-pop wrote:
pop-pop wrote:

Interesting. I just booted into Wary after my morning walk and the USB track ball and PS/2 mouse are both working now.

The latest Warys' have an extended usb, pcmcia load time.
098 is the last one to have consistently reliable usb mouse
usage.

Inspiron 700m, Pent.M 1.6Ghz, 1Gb ram.
Msi Wind U100, N270 1.6>2.0Ghz, 1.5Gb ram.
Eeepc 8g 701, 900Mhz, 1Gb ram.
Full installs

nooby

PostPosted: Thu 30 Dec 2010, 13:24    Post subject:  

I used USB Mouse on Wary5 and it works good. Works in Lupu-518 and Fluppy 010 too.
Frank Cox

PostPosted: Fri 31 Dec 2010, 00:28    Post subject: Thanks  

Hi Barry:

Just a note to thank you for the ongoing effort to support older equipment.
With all the talk about Lucid I missed this one.
To the best of my knowledge no one else comes close to building a system that works so well on old computers and makes dial-up as least painful as possible. For those who need such a system it is a true gift.
As soon as I get a chance I will try out Wary , I have no problems with 431 but I am looking forward to your improvements.
Sent a few dollars through PayPal , hope everyone who uses the software does, you deserve it .
drblock2

PostPosted: Fri 31 Dec 2010, 12:00    Post subject: Test report Wary 500RC (small)  

I installed RC (small) on my eight-year-old, lovingly-assembled from parts computer:

AMD Athlon 2 G Hz, 2 GB RAM, nvidia GForce FX 5200 , ESS 1969 Solo-1.

I did not try booting from a CD, but just copied the necessary ISO files to a directory and did a frugal install.

Everything worked right out of the box. With the nv driver I got a respectable 320 fps from glxgears. I used the video upgrade wizard to install the nvidia-71.86.14-k2.6.31.14-w5.pet. Imagine my surprise when glxgears showed an increase to 7500 fps!

Installing my network printer, I found two entries that seemed to amount to the same thing:

Code:
Windows printer using smbclient
Windows printer via SAMBA (smbclient)

This is somewhat confusing. I chose one at random and it worked.

I ported my frugal install to my IBM/Lenovo R60. The install routine correctly recommend Xorg vesa as the best driver available for the ATI Radeon Mobility X 1400 chip. I tried the Radeon driver, but it would not start X. Alas, no special driver available for this chip, but 360 fps in any case.

The Intel 82801G sound chip was not recognized at installation, but the ALSA Sound Wizard quickly solved the problem. Sound chip was recognized on reboot. I needed to do some adjustment with Retrovol, but first had to configure the window with the necessary slide controls. I would suggest preconfiguring with the most important controls to make things easier for new users.

Overall impression: Solid and blindingly fast! Some persistent problems still, however, persist:

The geany bug: geany still refuses to open files on a remote drive mounted via SAMBA. Workaround: Use nicoedit. But, still not good house training for the default editor. This problem has been with us since Puppy 4.3.1.

Printing to ps messes up the top and left margins. You can, of course, print directly to a pdf-file in both Abiword and OpenOffice, but the resulting files are huge as compared to printing to postscript and converting with ps2pdf, e.g., printing a document containing the text "This is a test" to a file via ps and the conversion utility produces a 2.7 KB file. Exporting the pdf-file directly from Abiword yields a 27 KB file. With OpenOffice 3.2.1, the toll is 108 KB. Workaround: Use Puppy 4.3.1 for this particular operation.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 31 Dec 2010, 13:02    Post subject: Re: Test report Wary 500RC (small)  

drblock2 wrote:
The geany bug: geany still refuses to open files on a remote drive mounted via SAMBA. Workaround: Use nicoedit. But, still not good house training for the default editor. This problem has been with us since Puppy 4.3.1.

This is an odd situation. Geany will open a file in a Linux Samba share, but not in a Windows share. Also, I compiled geany 0.12 (from Puppy 4.12 where it does work) in Quirky and it still doesn't work.

It looks like the root cause of the problem is the "mount -t cifs" procedure. If I mount the share using YASSM and include the option noserverino, then geany works with a Windows share.
shinobar

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jan 2011, 02:26    Post subject: Re: Test report Wary 500RC (small)  

rcrsn51 wrote:
It looks like the root cause of the problem is the "mount -t cifs" procedure. If I mount the share using YASSM and include the option noserverino, then geany works with a Windows share.

Great!
I add the 'noserverino' mount option at '/usr/local/apps/pnethood/func_mount' line 35,37. then geany works.
Confirmed both on LupQ-511 and Wary-500j02.

drblock2

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jan 2011, 07:21    Post subject:
Subject description: Geany bug - squashed

Thanks rcrsn51 and Shinobar!

I added noserverino, eh, voilà. It took me some tinkering to figure out just where to add it, so I am posting the altered code of the line:
Code:
mount-FULL -t cifs  "//${IP}/${SHARE}" "${MOUNTPOINT}" -o  "${SERVERNETBIOSNAME}$USER_PASS,iocharset=utf8",noserverino 2>>${TMP}log

Pnethood finds machines on my LAN that are running Windows, but not puppy. I have been using ftp for file transfer. I have just downloaded YASSM will continue the discussion on that thread.
gerry

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jan 2011, 10:42    Post subject:  

Just upgraded Wary 104 to 500. EDIT: Booted using Wary-500 cd, pressed "Enter" whenever prompted.

Somewhere in the process, I got a screen that said (more or less):

Either uninstall Puppy2 files, or install the following deps: Click "Install" icon when after Puppy is running and has internet access.

{long list}

Well I copied the list onto a piece of paper as instructed, and after reboot clicked on install, and started the package manager, but so far as I can see, it knows nothing about all these dependencies.

Questions:

What Puppy2 files? How would I delete them? Would I miss them if I did?

If I do need these deps, how do I find them?

Could it be the pets that I have installed? The "Check dependencies of installed packages" shows nothing missing.

gerry
Béèm

Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jan 2011, 12:22    Post subject:  

DaveS wrote:
LOL.. skiboardsonline.com still scrolls awful.
Everything else looks great so far.
Still not convinced that FireFox is bad and that SeaMonkey is ok? Cool
Use peppyy's puppysearch
James C

PostPosted: Sat 01 Jan 2011, 12:48    Post subject:  

gerry wrote:
Just upgraded Wary 104 to 500. EDIT: Booted using Wary-500 cd, pressed "Enter" whenever prompted.

Somewhere in the process, I got a screen that said (more or less):

Either uninstall Puppy2 files, or install the following deps: Click "Install" icon when after Puppy is running and has internet access.

{long list}

Well I copied the list onto a piece of paper as instructed, and after reboot clicked on install, and started the package manager, but so far as I can see, it knows nothing about all these dependencies.

Questions:

What Puppy2 files? How would I delete them? Would I miss them if I did?

If I do need these deps, how do I find them?

Could it be the pets that I have installed? The "Check dependencies of installed packages" shows nothing missing.

gerry

Guess you did a full install. The message also was appearing in full installs of Lucid..... see here
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=460429#460429

AFAIK it's just a little glitch in the installer and the message can be ignored.Believe it's something to do with the numbering of the releases....HTH.
Page 3 of 21 [308 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: