Warning: "Personal storage getting full." What to do?

Please post any bugs you have found
B.K. Johnson

Warning: "Personal storage getting full." What to do?

#1 Post by B.K. Johnson »

When I get the warning that personal storage is getting full.... which file(s) am I urged to delete and where are they? I am using Wary and Lupu but the answer would be of interest to all Puppians. I think.

Invariably, I get the warning because mhwaveedit does not seem to release memory used by recordings even after they have been saved. Then after the warning the system locks up, I cannot save the work in process. I manually remove the mhwaveedit-temp-xxxxx-xxxx-x files from the hidden directory but the warning persists through normal and fsck reboots. I would rather not do pfix=clean, requiring installation of pets. What's the alternative(s)?

B.K. Johnson

p310don

#2 Post by p310don »

I am not familiar with mhwaveedit, but things to check when your save file is being chewed up is which directory your saved outputs from mhwaveedit, or any other program, are actually going. If it is in your "home" directory, that is inside your save file, which will obviously chew it up. Does mhwaveedit have a temp / cache type directory whose location can be set to be OUTSIDE of the save file?

If you can make sure that everything is being saved / cached into somewhere outside of the save file, ie /mnt/home/yourdirectory then I think this might help your situation.

disciple

Re: Personal storage warning

#3 Post by disciple »

B.K. Johnson wrote:When I get the warning that personal storage is getting full.... which file(s) am I urged to delete and where are they?
Any files that you don't need.
Invariably, I get the warning because mhwaveedit does not seem to release memory used by recordings even after they have been saved.
If that is true I think it is a bug in the version you are using. Mine removes the temporary files both when the recording is saved and when it is exited without saving.
Also note that there is an option in the mhwaveedit preferences to change the location of the temporary files. Personally I have a lot of RAM and swap, so I configure all programs to put temporary files in /tmp.
Then after the warning the system locks up, I cannot save the work in process.
Work in mhwaveedit? I thought you said you already saved it...?
I would rather not do pfix=clean, requiring installation of pets.
pfix=clean simply restores any "official" files from the puppy CD that have been overwritten. It shouldn't help your problem. You either need to increase the size of your save file or remove some files you don't need.

The most likely things to be eating up space in your save file are your browser cache (you can reduce its size in the browser settings) or print jobs in /var/spool/cups/tmp that aren't being cleared.
There are numerous threads discussing what eats the space in your save file, here are a few, although I think there were some quite comprehensive ones more recently:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=303296
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=339763
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=273757

The best way to find out what is taking up the most space is probably using treesize http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=271082
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

B.K. Johnson

Personal storage getting full' warning. What to do?

#4 Post by B.K. Johnson »

apologies for taking so long to respond to helping tips.

to p310don
Thanks for your response. The default cache is indeed in the root. This helps identify why mhwaveedit depletes my personal storage and led me to a positive direction as you'll see below.

disciple
Thanks for the links, but not being a long time puppian, I get leery trying directions in posts referring to kernels and puppies older than I have.
Mine removes the temporary files both when the recording is saved and when it is exited without saving.
So I tried to repeat the error under varying conditions. Here is what I found.

The problem seems to occur when I inadvertently do not mount the drive that Preferences refers to.

In a directory in the pupsave I found a file, mhwaveedit-temp-xxxxx.xxx.x which has the recording (189Mb) that I was unable to save. By removing it I restore the free space, eliminate the warning as well as have the recording to edit. So the file(s) referred to in the warning are not any file that Treesize or du will identify. The problem I reported is now solved.

The detailed work-around is as follows:

* Reboot from the CD and press F2 to get to the cheat sheet
* type puppy pfix=ram (ignoring the existing xxx.2fs)
* Proceed as with a normal first time boot to the desktop
* Locate the xxx.2fs file, click it to mount it.
* In the mounted xxx.2fs, search the directories for the mhwavedit-temp-xxxx file. Delete it if not needed; move and rename with a .wav extension if you need to salvage it.
* Click on the xxx.2fs to unmount it.
* Shut down/Reboot the system but choose to not save
* On Reboot, allow the xxx.2fs to be loaded.
* The free space shown by the tray icon would have returned to its correct setting and the music file can be edited in mhwaveedit

B.K. Johnson
[/quote]

Pelo

Use Treesize, remember that

#5 Post by Pelo »

Use Treesize, remember that.
2009 to 2015, often the subject ennoys our dear Puppy users. I link this topic to french forum
Attachments
capture8136.png
open your pupsave, explore it in mnt with treesize
(40.62 KiB) Downloaded 629 times
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 03 Dec 2015, 01:24, edited 2 times in total.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

type puppy pfix=ram (ignoring the existing xxx.2fs)
* Proceed as with a normal first time boot to the desktop
* Locate the xxx.2fs file, click it to mount it.
* In the mounted xxx.2fs, search the directories for the mhwavedit-temp-xxxx file. Delete it if not needed; move and rename with a .wav extension if you need to salvage it.
* Click on the xxx.2fs to unmount it.
You should be able to just do this while running Puppy and using the save file.
search the directories for the mhwavedit-temp-xxxx file. Delete it if not needed; move and rename with a .wav extension if you need to salvage it.
When using the save file it is merged with the running file system.
Anything, that was not part of the original Puppy, is in the save file.
The mhwavedit-temp-xxxx file can only be in the save. It was not an original Puppy file.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

phat7

#7 Post by phat7 »

Problem solved more than 4 years ago, turned out not to be a bug, let it R.I.P!

Pelo

people don't search the forum before asking

#8 Post by Pelo »

it was the answer to a 2015 problem of a french user. people don't search the forum before asking our qualified help desk,
so i made this topic at the top again
Help desk answers always to same questions. Our technicians would prefer to get an updated documentation to send the users have a look.
here are the 2015 answers, les solutions restent les mêmes.
answers are the same as those of 2011 topic.
But as french help desk cannot link their users to this english topic. It needs to be translated, as a tutorial...
Bleachbit was suggested as a solution by Medor, the french assistant.

unicorn316386

#9 Post by unicorn316386 »

To add: The 6.x puppies now have "save to folder" option, so it can grow as much as you need it to on the partition. I still prefer the small savefile/loading SFSs method, but I have learned how to manage the space and enjoy the frugal life challenge. ;)

Pelo

yes, save to a file makes it easier

#10 Post by Pelo »

yes, save to a file makes it easier, because file is not size limited.
Pupsave was the first to install in RAM. .
You can choose one of several pupsaves at boot. Some roots suggest to modify iso, initrd.gz...
Puppy gives the choice.